TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking at a 2007 SGT at Carmax

Paul2007SGT

Hi everyone, I'm looking at a 2007 SGT at CarMax, white, 21K miles, price is $29,900. Nice car, minor cosmetic issues, seems like one of the hood pins is loose. Cool car though. I had a black '07 SGT transferred from Texas to the CarMax in Los Angeles. Turns out they can't sell me the car because it has less than 7,500 miles and is considered to be a "new" car per CA DMV law, and does not have a 50 state emission sticker under the hood. Here in CA they are really strict with smog, etc. Anyway, what do you guys think about the price, seems a bit high to me. I was thinking $25-26K was more reasonable. Anybody know of a nice white SGT in California for sale?? I like the white ones. Thanks everyone.

The smog sticker sticker story is wrong and there is no way a 2007 model year car that has been titled is considered legally 'new' in 2013 regardless of the miles.

Maybe The Peoples Rebulic of CA can tax a car sale at a higher rate based on miles?

Regardless, I would get confirmation from the CA DMV on that one for sure if you decide to move forward w/CarMax.

Given miles and condition, I agree with those who say $25 or $26 is closer to current mkt.

Car Max is blowing smoke. I'm guessing they want to sell the black SGT to someone else and came up with a scam for you. The white one is a bit overpriced if it has any issues at all. There was a nice one (white) just listed on the classifieds in this forum not but a couple of days ago; you might check there.

John

Hi everyone, I'm looking at a 2007 SGT at CarMax, white, 21K miles, price is $29,900. Nice car, minor cosmetic issues, seems like one of the hood pins is loose. Cool car though. I had a black '07 SGT transferred from Texas to the CarMax in Los Angeles. Turns out they can't sell me the car because it has less than 7,500 miles and is considered to be a "new" car per CA DMV law, and does not have a 50 state emission sticker under the hood. Here in CA they are really strict with smog, etc. Anyway, what do you guys think about the price, seems a bit high to me. I was thinking $25-26K was more reasonable. Anybody know of a nice white SGT in California for sale?? I like the white ones. Thanks everyone.

$30,000 does seem to be not only on the high side but perhaps not even in the ballpark.

The SGT is a 50 state legal car. California does have require a "used" new car to have a minimum of 7,500 miles but that certainly can't apply to a 2007 car. The law/rule is to prevent California residents from crossing the state line to purchase a new car.

Steve

How the heck does a Shelby GT end up at CarMax?

Someone may have needed to sell quickly and they pay cash. It could have been traded in for a more expensive car like a GT500, Corvette, etc. Third, CarMax is very active at the auctions and Ford Motor Credit has a sell each month for cars coming off lease, repo'ed, etc. Lot's of ways for a huge national dealership to get one.

If 29,900 is the current asking price then I stole mine. You can do much better.

if it helps any, i paid a little less than that for mine last july and the car only had 8k on it and was/is in absolutely perfect stock condition and came with all the original window stickers, hood pin tag and a few other paper documents

I just purchased a 2008 SGT, it has a few very minor cosmetic issues, 39k miles and I paid $22,000. I would keep looking and be patient. Also, look on the classified section of the forums, there are a few White SGT's for sale and the guys on here typically take better care of their cars. I'd rather find the perfect one and have it shipped to me ($500-800), than to find a local one because its local. I was lucky, mine was only 1 hour away from me.

Interesting thread. I gave approximately $24000 for my white 07 SGT 4 years ago. It had 3700 miles on it and was mint sitting back in the local Ford showroom.

It has almost 34k miles on it now. I figure I could still sell for 21-22 so it has been a pretty cheap ride over the last 50 months!

Hope I never have to sell though!

How the heck does a Shelby GT end up at CarMax?

I bought mine thru CarMax, for significantly less than what the original post described for the 2007. She had 8,200 miles and one owner before me. That said I have purchased another vehicle thru CarMax as well and never had an issue. My experience with them has been positive. I agree that 29,900 is a bit much and likely due to the California car market more than anything else.

I agree with Shelby2809. TS members tend to be anal about their cars. I bought mine from a TS member for that reason. I recently bought a KR and am selling mine . Check it out in te classifieds. Buyer will not be sorry.

Archived