TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tie down and trailering

rzide

I plan to pick up my new gt500 next week but plan to tow it back home about 500 miles. My questions are as follows:

Is the car to low to load onto an open featherlight car hauler?

Where can you tie the car down? without the e track system

I believe my trailer is a featherlight 3110, All info and pics would be greatly appreciated.Ihave hauled many vehicls before but never a car this low, mostly jeeps,trucks, etc.

Thanks, Ryan

In general, the 500 should load on the trailer but it depends on the trailer. Its always best to tie down the car at a point that allows the suspension to function. With etrack, see if you can get your hands on over the tire tiedowns. I always tie the car down and put it in nuetral for the trip. It is easier on the transmission. I go through the wheels and cross the straps but on a street car, that may damage the wheels. Unfortuantely, cars are different and how they get tied down changes.

I go through the wheels onthe front and rear and cross both. I found out in the state of MO, you have to cross the front and rear by law. I don't know how long your ramps are but I found that 8' ramps help out a lot. The less of an incline, the better off you are. Take some extra lengths of lumber with you incase you need to lengthen the approach. Do not have the dealer install the lower portion of the chin spoiler, you can do that when you get home. It also gives you some extra clearance. Good luck and let us know how it went.

I plan to pick up my new gt500 next week but plan to tow it back home about 500 miles. My questions are as follows:

Is the car to low to load onto an open featherlight car hauler?

Where can you tie the car down? without the e track system

I believe my trailer is a featherlight 3110, All info and pics would be greatly appreciated.I have hauled many vehicles before but never a car this low, mostly jeeps,trucks, etc.

Thanks, Ryan

I have the same Featherlite trailer and loading up and securing my '12 GT500 is very simple. I use 4 ratchet tie down straps through the wheels and criss-cross in the front to the trailer rings. Make sure you bring (2) 2 x 12's for each side of the ramps as the car is too low to load without them.

DSC_6755_zps37f6b172.jpg

I am also looking at a trailer, looked at a 18ft tilt with rock guard and removable fenders for 7600.00 it was all aluminum. It seems that some trailers the ramp might cause the problem, also the door opening on the fenders. Would rather not spend 7600 but more like 3500

I found a 24 ft. enclosed trailer for $3500. It looks like a brand new trailer. Once I sold my old trailer, the net difference was $2000. I think I made off very well in that deal. Good inexpensive trailers are hard to come by. Once they get a for sale sign on them, they are usually gone in a couple of days.

Thanks roush gr40, That pic gives me the confidence that it can be done! do you wrap your wheels with a towl or anything of the sort (for scratches)? Unfortunately the deal went south and they sold it an hour before i called to put down my deposit so now im working another deal! Thanks everyone for the replies!

by chance does anyone know any dealers that have a sterling gray with black stripe convertibles that are fully loaded? I feel like I have searched everywhere and cant find one ( I can only find one and the deal is obsured) . Thanks, feel free to pm me if you prefer.

I am also looking at a trailer, looked at a 18ft tilt with rock guard and removable fenders for 7600.00 it was all aluminum. It seems that some trailers the ramp might cause the problem, also the door opening on the fenders. Would rather not spend 7600 but more like 3500

I spent $10,600 and got a 'puller' with mine!

Phill

post-26522-0-06690500-1368198873_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-82579800-1368198936_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-06690500-1368198873_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-82579800-1368198936_thumb.jpg

by chance does anyone know any dealers that have a sterling gray with black stripe convertibles that are fully loaded? I feel like I have searched everywhere and cant find one ( I can only find one and the deal is obsured) . Thanks, feel free to pm me if you prefer.

Houston, san Antonio. SA was at msrp, it was Leif Johnson

• 11 months later...

Has anyone loaded a 2013-2014 GT500 with the full chin spoiler onto a Featherlite 3100 trailer? Worked great for my 2012 GT500, but I am concerned with the additional chin spoiler on the 2014. Any pictures that you can post would be great.

Archived