TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'65 Mustang Shelby GT350 looking for advice on restoration(especially lead on period correct engine or block

Hi folks, I'm looking to help an original owner restore his 1965 Shelby GT350. We have lots of the original parts but the engine broke down on him in 1967 and was replaced. Any help in locating or getting leads from someone that we can source to find a period correct engine, complete or to build would be greatly appreciated. Shelby vehicle #SFM5S149

What was the engine replaced with? What was retained from the original assembly.

There is no such thing as a K code block - the block was identical to any 289. However, all Shelbys had a VIN stamped block, so you will not need to purchase one of those as you would be wasting your money - unless you miraculously found the one for #149 (not likely)

Any block will do - you just need to get the HiPo heads with proper date codes (expensive, but they are out there) and other details. Other hard to find date coded parts (see first 2 questions) are also expensive (balancer, cooling fan, carburetor, distributor, fuel pump, intake, oil pan, etc...) Do you have the date coded radiator, still?

A proper '65 GT350 restoration is not for the faint of heart. These cars are crazy expensive and getting the details wrong will be a waste of time and money down the road.

Good luck - I would advise that a SAAC membership is in order and that you network with the fine members there that do this for a living.

I too would advise SAAC membership and to join the SAAC Forum, many experts on this car there and I would bet several know this car, even if some are pretty crusty and obnoxious at times over there, others will help your friend out, good luck, great car!

I too would advise SAAC membership and to join the SAAC Forum, many experts on this car there and I would bet several know this car, even if some are pretty crusty and obnoxious at times over there, others will help your friend out, good luck, great car!

The SAAC members can also help you locate parts, I will tell you from restoring three cars expect to spend more money than you thought and expect problems you never thought you would run into, good luck and enjoy, it is a major undertaking

I have a 289 Hi Po short block. It is in SFM5S141 and running just fine. Block cast # C5AE-6015E. It has been rebuilt with forged pistons. I have build sheet and dyno sheet from the machine shop. It includes the rotating assembly, Hi Po balancer, flywheel, Hi Po timing chain, solid lifter cam and lifters.

A 289 Hi Po block is different than a regular 289 block. The main caps are much bigger on a 289 Hi Po.

Keith

314-480-2556

sueannsewing@aol.com

A 289 Hi Po block is different than a regular 289 block. The main caps are much bigger on a 289 Hi Po.

yes, among other things the caps are different. However, those are bolt on parts that can be added to ANY properly date coded (casting numbers) block.

Good luck - I would advise that a SAAC membership is in order and that you network with the fine members there that do this for a living.

Yuppers, SAAC is the place to go for any and all advice regarding vintage

Archived