TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Matt Kenseth and Toyota and NASCAR

07SGT

Just read where Matt Kenseth has been fined 50 points and his crew chief suspended 6 races and Joe Gibbs loses owner's points for six weeks. The reason? One con rod was 3 grams less than the required minimum. I find this interesting because last year and the beginning of this year Toyota has had problems with blown engines. They stated the rods came from a "European" supplier and Toyota Racing Development did not bother to weigh each of the rods before the assembly of the engine but claimed they derived no advantage with the lighter rod." And I would agree they did not have an advantage with only one "light" rod. But now I know why they have had all the blown engines if the Toyota factory engine development does not recognize that a blue printed engine needs each piece to be precise and weigh exactly the same. Incredible. Apparently some engineer at Toyota does not recognize that 3 grams difference in reciprocating weight is significant at 9,500 rpm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Joe Gibbs Racing has competed with engines supplied by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) since 2012, and has no involvement in the building process."

Maybe THAT should change. Putting that much TRUST in TRD says your willing to put it all on the line.

"Joe Gibbs Racing has competed with engines supplied by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) since 2012, and has no involvement in the building process."

Maybe THAT should change. Putting that much TRUST in TRD says your willing to put it all on the line.

Exactly, Toyota is known for thier tendancy to whatever it take to win. A admirable trait IF they could stay within the rules

Yes, yes, and yes. But can you imagine any engineer building and blue printing an engine and the internal reciprocating parts are not the exact same weight. Especially when spinning at 9,500 rpm or maybe even slightly more!!!!!!!

Secondo, Secondo, Secondo,.......... I think more Toyotas are built here than Japan (or close to it) ............Plus I am sure Toyota drove a Semi Truck load of Cash to the office of Nascar................. You know the old saying.......... "Money Talks.........Bull Chit Walks".

Secondo, Secondo, Secondo,.......... I think more Toyotas are built here than Japan (or close to it) ............Plus I am sure Toyota drove a Semi Truck load of Cash to the office of Nascar................. You know the old saying.......... "Money Talks.........Bull Chit Walks".

I'm sure it was ALL about the money... :spend:

Toyota has been in NASCAR for several years now but apparently they have the attitude that no one can build an engine as good as they can. So they make their own engines in the lab and ship them to the different teams. I guess they don't feel the good ole boys can do as well. Now it is revealed they do not even balance an engine properly before assembly. This is not to detract from their standard engines for customers but somebody somewhere in that position for racing should know you balance an engine to the n th degree.

Why are they in NASCAR? I thought it was only for American manufacturers?

Because they run on "International Speedways"!! LOL

Dodge is owned by Fiat and they still run in Trucks...

Just read where Matt Kenseth has been fined 50 points and his crew chief suspended 6 races and Joe Gibbs loses owner's points for six weeks. The reason? One con rod was 3 grams less than the required minimum. I find this interesting because last year and the beginning of this year Toyota has had problems with blown engines. They stated the rods came from a "European" supplier and Toyota Racing Development did not bother to weigh each of the rods before the assembly of the engine but claimed they derived no advantage with the lighter rod." And I would agree they did not have an advantage with only one "light" rod. But now I know why they have had all the blown engines if the Toyota factory engine development does not recognize that a blue printed engine needs each piece to be precise and weigh exactly the same. Incredible. Apparently some engineer at Toyota does not recognize that 3 grams difference in reciprocating weight is significant at 9,500 rpm.

I agree spinning up that kind of RPM's you better be balanced...someones head will roll for that mistake.

And I would agree they did not have an advantage with only one "light" rod. But now I know why they have had all the blown engines if the Toyota factory engine development does not recognize that a blue printed engine needs each piece to be precise and weigh exactly the same. Incredible. Apparently some engineer at Toyota does not recognize that 3 grams difference in reciprocating weight is significant at 9,500 rpm.

I was just talking with someone about this the other day.

3 grams is HUGE. I've balanced engines and there's NO WAY 3 grams was just simply "overlooked".

That's either a HUGE $*%& up or intentional.

And yes, one rod (out of 8) could make a difference. If the TRD engines are 'externally balanced" a sharp engineer could minimize that by changing the Internal balance of the engine to help take weight off of the flywheel and/or balancer.

Phill

I posted on Yahoo about this a few days ago and a guy thought I was crazy. I posted that I owned a 1970 Mach 1 R code 428 CJ Ram Air. The Engine was Balanced and Blue Printed. It had Lemans Rods with Dome Top Forged Piston running 13:1 Compression and a killer High Lift Cam. Each rotating piece was balanced separately.............. * The guy tried to say that Connecting Rods are balanced WITH the Pistons in place and if the Rod was lighter then the others, the builder could make up for it with a heavier Piston.

I posted on Yahoo about this a few days ago and a guy thought I was crazy. I posted that I owned a 1970 Mach 1 R code 428 CJ Ram Air. The Engine was Balanced and Blue Printed. It had Lemans Rods with Dome Top Forged Piston running 13:1 Compression and a killer High Lift Cam. Each rotating piece was balanced separately.............. * The guy tried to say that Connecting Rods are balanced WITH the Pistons in place and if the Rod was lighter then the others, the builder could make up for it with a heavier Piston.

I believe he may have been correct

Not the one I had built for my 77 Trans Am!!..both the con rods and pistons were weighed separately before it was installed in the eng and the crank was balanced alone before anything connected to it.

Pistons are not part of the "rotating" assembly. They should all weigh the same, but do not counter-act any weight of the con-rods, crank, etc.

An off-weight con-rod could be counter-balanced with the crank, but that would be complicated operation.

I am wondering if Toyota was on to something in that they were using a uniquely shaped crankshaft, and the con-rod was special made for that journal....

NASCAR should pull 10 engines from fast Toyotas and see if other engines have the same issue.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Toyota stated the rods were from an European manufacturer.

Yes a rod and piston could be weighed together and paired as such but they still have to be exact. You can pair a heavier rod with a lighter piston but the only reason is so that you have less material to remove in order to balance. But in order to be perfect, and you must be at 9,500+ rpm, is to ensure that every piece is identical. Looks like those good ole boys from NC and Alabama and FL have a better understanding of physics and mechanics than the Toyota engineers with their degrees. Ford had the same problems 50 years ago and mandated that only the engineers at Detroit could build the engines. Then the good ole boys made the Detroit engines even faster and Ford learned to at least listen to their counterparts.

I was at the race in Richmond last night and after driver introductions Kenseth's team was given the Engine Builder Award for their performance last week. How do you win an engine builder award when 1) your engine failed post-race inspection and 2) your team owner says you don't build your own engines?

I will also bet that the penalty will be reduced. Nascar has levied some incredibly harsh penalties, including against Jimmy Johnson last year, and then were rescinded upon appeal. And politics will come in to play when Toyota and Gibbs and the fans lean on NASCAR. Kezelowski and Longano are also under appeal for their draconian penalties and I expect they will also be rescinded or at a minimum, reduced. Penske knows how to play politics and has been doing so since the days of Trans Am and Can Am in the late 60's early 70's. Penske got caught cheating, or interpreting the Trans Am rule book too loosely, and threatened to pull Chevy support and participation. Otherwise Ford would have won the Trans Am that year. On the other hand a small fourth string team got caught having an engine that was oversize by .16 cid. That is 16 one hundreths of an inch and they levied a huge fine against him which put him out of business and he cannot even compete again. The fine was several hundred thousand dollars. So, as is so often the case, it is not who you know but who you blow. And there is certainly politics in NASCAR and no one has more pull than Hendrick IMO. Wait until next year when, and if, Dodge decides to return. They will receive special consideration so as to attract Dodge fans and be successful. But they will need a first rate team, better than Petty, in order to be successful. Dodge will have to throw cubic dollars towards whichever team runs Dodge if they return.

Nope.

You weigh the rod ends. Big end and little end. You find the lightest rod and remove material from each one, end from end until they all match weights. On BOTH ends.

Then you find the lightest piston, remove material from the wrist pin bosses until the piston weights all match.

Then you find the longest rod and match it to the piston with the least deck height and the shortest rod to the piston with the most deck height (and match all of them in between).

Each rod will weigh exactly the same. Each piston will weigh exactly the same. Each PAIR (piston/rod combo) will weigh exactly the same. Each combo will be VERY close to the same length from the center line (CL) of the rod journal to the deck of the piston.

That's how you balance the reciprocating assembly.

The rotating assembly is the flywheel/clutch, crankshaft and balancer spin balanced and computer balanced by adding or removing weight opposite of the light or heavy spot (generally balanced as one unit).

The piston/rod weight matching is part of the balancing process and the piston/rod *length* matching is part of the blueprinting process.

I've built a lot of big inch, big horsepower engines and I know of what I speak.

Phill

Carl Long is the driver I spoke of whose violation was an engine .17 cid over size. That is seventeen one hundredths of a cubic inch.

And Jimmy Johnson and Chad Knaus had their penalties reversed last year but then again, Carl Long is a nobody, a stroker, that does not work for Hendrick or another big name in NASCAR.

Carl long was put out of business for a miniscule violation. But NASCAR showed they were tough on violators and made him an example. Then when the Hendricks appeal it is over turned. I will bet that the Penske and Gibbs penalties are reduced or over turned.

actually it is National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Not necessarily American.

The Penske penalties have been reduced but I noticed they did not give the points back to Kezelowski and Longano as they did Jimmy Johnson last year. They reduced the suspensions. IMO, nascar has no credibility as they are flagrantly in the tank for Hendrick and Chevy. Sort of like the media and Obama. And no I do not want this to go off topic to Obama.

The person that is the final arbiter for penalties is a retired General Motors executive that worked for GM for over 40 years. No bias there.

And Ryan Newman came out and made disparaging remarks about NASCAR during an interview during the race but NASCAR did not take any action against him as they did Denny Hamlin and others in the past.

tAnd Tony Stewart cursed on live interview but they chose not to do anything to him. Of course Stewart just runs the 5,6, and 7th Hendrick cars since you can only have four cars on a team. And nascar wonders why their ratings are down. It is because they are, IMO, morally corrupt and just running a business for themselves.

Archived