TEAM SHELBY FORUM

help me out

wagge

gotta make some decisions here so I can get back to work.

how important is svt pack, I found a base car with nav only at a well below msrp, my be hard to resale

how important are ricarros found several cars at msrp without but I have a bad back so they may help but also like heat so which would be more comfortable on a 5hr cruise

I know colors are personal but any that you would stay away from, resale point of view

I have heard both audio packages and neither is as good as my king ranch, not quite as good as the g-37. very disappointed

I read where I can put my own stripes if I found a car without. is it the same as factory. I know the sticker will say stripe delete

Guys, I think that will work if I can only decide now, but maybe your answers will help.

thanks, shelbyless in Houston

Not much of an expert since just got my first Shelby GT500 a few months ago, but performance pack and track package are really nice to have if you can afford it. If you are not going to track the vehicle and want to keep the cost down, then do without....yes the resale is less but so is your purchase price. If you can afford it then go for the gusto you only get one chance at life, right?

Recarros look nice but if you have a bad back go with the standard leather and get the heaters.

Colors, stripes, etc all personal choice don't worry about resale I don't think you can outsmart the market. I love the black for example (seems like 30-40% of them are black) but too hard for me to keep clean especially in Texas.

Nav / electronics package is nice to have also, and you are right about the sound systems, but the standard sound system is light years better than what came with the Boss 302 that I traded to move up to the Shelby. Not an expert on stripes but I would guess you need to find the right place to get those on correctly.

So good luck I don't think you will be disappointed with whatever you get....it is a really nice piece of engineering and I am thrilled to have one which is my 8th mustang.

Performance pack: worthwhile, in my opinion, but not a dealbreaker if you're tight on money or trying to buy one off the floor. I'm happy with mine, but doubt I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

Recarros: I have a bad back, and had real problems with the stock Mustang seats in the 2010 and up. I did a 7 hour road trip in mine 2 days after I bought it, and only got out to pump gas once--no back issues at all with the Recarros. I highly recommend them.

Color: Get what makes you happy. Don't worry about resale; if that's what is important, go buy stock in Apple.

Audio: I've got the Shaker pro and NAV. I like the touchscreen, voice recognition, etc. Not an audiophile, so the sound is good enough for me.

Stripes: Putting stripes on a car really is not that difficult. I've done several. You don't need to spend the money on the Ford parts stripes; there are lots of aftermarket 3M kits that work great.

wagge,

Definitely get the SVTPP option as it's worth the wheel and suspension upgrades. However, unless you're going to track the GT500, the SVTTP is a bit overkill. If you're more of a cruiser, the standard leather seats will be more than adequate. Again, the EP navigation option is great if you do a lot of cruising/traveling as it provides not only mapping, but helps find fueling stations and more and includes HD FM in addition to the Sirius service. Nothing wrong with a stripe delete unit if it's equipped the way you want, and the money you'd save on the Recaros and Track Pack would cover the cost of having the stripes painted on if you want them. Good luck and post :camera: when you find your Shelby!

I got the standard seats with mine. They are much better than the Mustang GT seats that I had previously. I have the two performance packages, and like them. That being said, if you are getting a great deal on it, that is something to be considered. It will be a great car mo matter what. The resale value without the performance packages would guessing on anyone's part. They would be valuable to someone who will track the car, but it probably won't matter to someone who will only use it on the street.

Pete

I got my Vert with the Perf Pkg and I really like it....all depends on what your personal prefence is. I ordered it with the stock seat and stock radio and I truly like both items. As Husky44 said above stripes can be added anytime...not a biggy.

Hope you find what you want. good luck.

You mention resale in your posts more than once. If desirability and getting the most at resale is a concern you need the car with the most options. A loaded car with every option has the best resale. If you are looking for yourself and have a budget I would go for any option that adds performance first.

Agree with Crissman, options count for resale, but if you go broke paying for them whats the point? In the end, low miles and stock condition probably count more on resale than anything, and there will always be a market for your car. I wouldn't make your purchase decision primarily on resale, but what YOU want. I'll be dead before my car is old enough to be worth any real money, so just get the one you want and enjoy it. Other than us Shelby OCDr's, most everyone else just sees it as a "Shelby" and a cool/fast car.

Good point Steven, a STOCK unmolested car is absolutely key. I don't want to get into collect ability and open that whole can of worms. But if I am looking for a car to add to my collection its not going to be one that someone altered mechanically in any way. Sure it will have newer tires, brake pads, and other normal wear and tear items. For me personally I like vehicles that are exactly as they came off the line. Obviously many people have no interest in that and want to modify and personalize their car to enhance their enjoyment of the vehicle. Ultimately its what you want and what you expect out of your cars. There really isn't a wrong its a personal preference. Unless you have something truly special about your Shelby GT500 its going to mean more to you and your family than its resale. Like how many have a 20?? With ever single option available.

gotta make some decisions here so I can get back to work.

how important is svt pack, I found a base car with nav only at a well below msrp, my be hard to resale

how important are ricarros found several cars at msrp without but I have a bad back so they may help but also like heat so which would be more comfortable on a 5hr cruise

I know colors are personal but any that you would stay away from, resale point of view

I have heard both audio packages and neither is as good as my king ranch, not quite as good as the g-37. very disappointed

I read where I can put my own stripes if I found a car without. is it the same as factory. I know the sticker will say stripe delete

Guys, I think that will work if I can only decide now, but maybe your answers will help.

thanks, shelbyless in Houston

I have the SVT Performance Package. I don't track the car, nor do I plan to do so, so for me, there's not a lot of added benefit from a performance point of view. In normal or spirited driving, I don't notice much difference between the Normal and Sport settings for the suspension. In fact, I notice and enjoy more difference with the steering settings (Comfort mode for tooling around town, and Sport for the highway). I'm a bit torn on the SVTPP wheels. They're a pain to clean, but they don't look all that bad even when they're coated with brake dust (which the non-SVTPP wheels certainly would). For me, the benefit does not outweigh the $3,495 cost, and were I to do it all over again, I wouldn't order it.

Now that the production numbers are out, it's worth noting that 4,249 out of all (4,855) 2013 Shelby GT500s came equipped with the SVTPP. That means that the 14 percent of cars that didn't come so equipped are more rare.

The only other option that I ordered (other than the Red Candy for $395) was the Recaro seats. They are awesome. I have over 2,700 miles on the car. The longest road trip I've taken so far was from Albuqueruque to Phoenix and back, which is about seven hours one way. The Recaros are amazingly comfortable for the long haul, and I am very happy with them. If you have a bad back, however, it won't be the Recaro seats that will bother you; it will be the firmness of the GT500's ride -- which is not bone jarring, just firm. I do not know how firm the non-SVTPP ride is, but I suspect it's not much different.

The tape stripes is a bit of a sore subject with me. Sorry to bore you with a long story, but I noticed two rock chips on the right-side tape-stripe section in front of the heat extractor on the hood only three days after I took delivery. Couple of weeks later, I was cruising at 75 on the interstate, and a pickup passed me in the left lane. I didn't see the rock, but I heard it. Sure as hell, there was another rock chip, about the size of a pencil eraser, on the passenger-side stripe on the roof, just past the windshield. These little rock chips stuck out like a sore thumb (rock chips on white stripes with Red Candy color underneath -- you get the picture). I was sick about this, especially after pricing replacement tape stripes on fordparts.com. Even worse, I was afraid to drive the friggin car for fear of accumulating more tape-stripe rock chips! Shortly thereafter, I received a phone call from the aftermarket guy at my dealer. He wanted to set up an appointment to install the clearbra that I had purchased when I took delivery. I told him about my rock-chip problem, and he suggested a remedy -- which is to have the stripes painted on. He said he has a guy who can do it, who does good work. I was skeptical, so he invited me to check out some Roush Mustangs on the dealer's lot, to which his guy had applied painted-on stripes. I did, and I was very impressed: The stripes had little pin stripes along the sides of the wide, over-the-top stripes, and it looked to be very quality, precise work (and the cars are marked up $2,000 just for the stripe application). So I pulled the trigger. He removed the POS factory vinyl tape stripes and painted them on, and applied a clearcoat finish on top of the stripes. The stripes are absolutely perfect! Then, once the paint sealed, the dealer's aftermarket team applied the clear bra. That was about 2,000 miles ago and I have had zero rock-chip problems since. The cost of the painted-on stripes was $1,300. They look same as factory (I still have the factory side stripes) Expensive, yes, but well worth the peace of mind.

In another life, I was a professional musician. I knew guys who woudn't flinch at paying $3,000 for a tenor saxophone or $10,000 or more for a baby grand, but whose home-audio/entertainment systems were downright laughable. These guys understand that there is no amount of technology that can fix an out-of-tune singer or add musical interest to an already-bad recording. Duke Ellington said that there are only two kinds of music: good music and bad music. What he didn't say is that at least 95 percent of all music is bad. Frank Sinatra sounds just fine on my GT500's Shaker audio system.

Rick

Edit: I meant to say (regarding the SVTPP) that the benefit does not outweigh the cost. Just my opinion.

I don't plan to track my car so I didn't order SVTPP and like the stock wheels better anyway. the Recaro seats are awesome, I highly reccomend them. I ordered the shaker pro and don't feel it's worth the money, you can get a much better aftermarket sub and speakers at a fraction of the cost but with the shaker pro, it's installed at factory so need to mess with after market install.

Archived