TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are You Using M & H Drag Radials ?

ingram4868

I've had my 2007 rear wheels widened to 11" and based on favorable TS member reviews I have decided on the M&H 325/40-18 drag radial tires.

But what are you guys using for the front tires on stock rims?

I did read that owners should not mix tires, is this a concern when selecting my front tires?

Thanks

David

If you're running drag radials I'm assuming you're setting the car up to drag race. If that is correct then the front tires are less critical unless you plan on street driving with the drag radials. I ran the M/T DR on a previous car & it's a good strip tire. Do a quick, dry burnout (avoid the water box) and they stick pretty good.

Do a quick, dry burnout (avoid the water box) and they stick pretty good.

I'm curious. Why do you do a dry burnout vs a wet?

I have MT's but have never smoked 'em yet.

I'll *assume* they don't need too much heat to get good grip???

Phill

I'm curious. Why do you do a dry burnout vs a wet?

I have MT's but have never smoked 'em yet.

I'll *assume* they don't need too much heat to get good grip???

Phill

Going through the waterbox tends to sling water all up inside the wheel well & it drips back onto the tire while you're waiting to stage. Instead of driving straight through the box, I like to back into it so the tires are barely touching the water to start the burnout & then roll forward a foot or two to make sure the tires are dry by the time I stage. The car has more than enough torque to smoke the DRs but having them just touching the water is a little easier on the clutch while you get them spinning. Hopefully the track will have someone sweeping the lanes for you so you don't pick up any gravel or tire debris as you roll up to the lights.

The MH DR's are pretty sticky once you heat them up good unless the track is cold or you're waiting between passes. Also, airing them down & running about 8-10psi below full inflation will usually yield better 60' times. Having the start line properly prepped makes a difference, but many tracks wont spend the money to do it for test & tune nights unless there is a big event.

These cars are a blast at the drag strip if you do a couple mods to control wheel hop - a good set of aftermarket LCAs & UCA with poly bushings is usually all it takes.

Archived