TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Oil Change

Just got back from getting my first oil change on my '13 with 1600 miles. I was shocked when I was told how much the oil change was. The service advisor at my friendly Ford dealer tried to justify how an oil change costs $131.14!!!!! I have since called three other local dealers and was quoted three different prices that were all less. One quote was less by $50.00 for the same apples to apples comparison.

What are others paying for an oil change oil consisting of 8qts of synthetic 5W50 and an FL820 filter?

For my 2012, I buy the oil and filter from the dealer and do it myself. Cost is $56 for 7 quarts of oil ($9/quart) and $4 for the OEM filter (2012's take 6.5 quarts) - $60 total. Some dealers charge more for labor than others (whatever they think they can get away with). Also, you should have received the first oil change free of charge from the dealer. I did but never used it because I wouldn't trust the dealer to change the oil in my lawn mower. If you think the price is high for your oil change, you would never want a BMW. The standard price for an oil and filter on my wife's 328i is $167 (7 quarts of 5W-30 BMW Full Synthetic). For their periodic "specials" they drop the price to $99.

You are right, I never want to own a BMW. This outrageous charge reminds me of one of many reasons why I always used to change my own oil when I have owned Mustangs in the past. I just got taken but will never do business with that dealer again. This is a dealer that ADM stickers on every car on the lot. I was warned about going here but figured I had to see for myself. I have to stop being so stubborn to other owners advice.

Maybe I'm crazy but Ford advertises a $39.95 Oil, Filter and Tire Rotation special - it is for 5 Qts of the Semi Synthetic (all that Ford uses). How could it cost that much more? 3 more Qts costing close to $100.00 - That's Crazy.

Maybe I'm crazy but Ford advertises a $39.95 Oil, Filter and Tire Rotation special - it is for 5 Qts of the Semi Synthetic (all that Ford uses). How could it cost that much more? 3 more Qts costing close to $100.00 - That's Crazy.

Don't know you so I cannot say whether or not you are crazy. However, Shelby GT500s do NOT use Semi Synthetic oil. Ford specifies Motorcraft 5W-50 FULL Synthetic for these cars which is more expensive oil than semi-synthetic oil. You do NOT want to use any Semi-Synthetic oil in a Shelby GT500. It does not meet the Ford Specification.

Don't know you so I cannot say whether or not you are crazy. However, Shelby GT500s do NOT use Semi Synthetic oil. Ford specifies Motorcraft 5W-50 FULL Synthetic for these cars which is more expensive oil than semi-synthetic oil. You do NOT want to use any Semi-Synthetic oil in a Shelby GT500. It does not meet the Ford Specification.

Thanks for that clarification. I have other Fords and have always, when under warranty, had Ford do the changes. Once out of warranty I use Full Synthetic in all my cars (except the 1963), but I do my own oil changes on them (again no where near the $100+). Again thanks for your answer - although Barb says I am a little crazy.

I also purchase the oil and filter myself (from K-Man) and my dealer charges $50 to change it. I usually change it myself with Race Ramps, but if I forget and the weather gets too cold all of a sudden, I'll have the dealer do it. Just remember, the old rule of thumb of hand tightening the filter 1 1/2 turns after the gasket hits the block is too loose on the GT500. Tighten the filter as tight as possible or you will get a leak as I found out the hard way.

I also purchase the oil and filter myself (from K-Man) and my dealer charges $50 to change it. I usually change it myself with Race Ramps, but if I forget and the weather gets too cold all of a sudden, I'll have the dealer do it. Just remember, the old rule of thumb of hand tightening the filter 1 1/2 turns after the gasket hits the block is too loose on the GT500. Tighten the filter as tight as possible or you will get a leak as I found out the hard way.

Never heard of anyone tightening the filter as much as you do on a Shelby. Fords Workshop Manual calls for tightening the oil filter on the 5.4L V-8 an additional 270 degrees after the gasket makes contact. A little more than that will not hurt but over 1.5 turns after contact is way too tight. Are you sure you did not leave the old gasket stuck to the block? Sometimes that happens and is guaranteed to cause a leak.

I always do my own oil changes and I NEVER use the FL820 filter that you get for $5 or less.

The GT500's come with the M6730 FL820 Ford Racing Oil filter. It's the only filter I use...

Shown here on Shelby Performance parts.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/m-6731-fl820ind.htm

So... Total cost: 7 Motorcraft 5w 50 Synthetic (from Ford dealer) $10 = $70 plus the filters can be had for about $15 to $17 = $85

Never heard of anyone tightening the filter as much as you do on a Shelby. Fords Workshop Manual calls for tightening the oil filter on the 5.4L V-8 an additional 270 degrees after the gasket makes contact. A little more than that will not hurt but over 1.5 turns after contact is way too tight. Are you sure you did not leave the old gasket stuck to the block? Sometimes that happens and is guaranteed to cause a leak.

I agree, and 270 deg is about what I get out of all my oil filters I do, maybe a turn at the most just enough to get them nice and snug. Much more and they get real hard to get off and I have never had one leak....so far lol

Have to agree with ISS. This seems like to tight. :drop:

I made that mistake once on my Dakota. Got a nice oil shower. Have to agree hand tighten then a little bit more.

This is interesting. On my first change that I did myself, I pulled off the old gasket and installed the new filter following the 270 degrees and had a slow leak of oil. Took it to the dealer and was told the 270 degrees isn't tight enough at least on my car. They replaced it, tightened it more than the 270, no more leak. I'm going to look into this further.

• 5 weeks later...

I just took my 2011 GT500 in to Auto Nation Ford in Marietta Ga for my yearly oil change. My car has 2500 miles on it, this oil had maybe 50 miles on it and they soaked me for $156. Charged me for 9 qts of motor craft oil at $15 a pop. Last year they didn't have the oil, so they sent me to Auto Zone to pick up oil and only charged me $28 for the change & filter.

I was quite disappointed with the price & their idea of a mechanic.

I also have a Ferrari which I just had serviced. They change all the fluids, oil, brake, trans, detail your car with clay bar and wax. Have a spectacular service area and really first rate techs and service advisors. The project took 2 days and ran $600 and my car looked like I just drove it off the showroom floor.

My GT500 service took 1/2 hour, tech barely spoke English and didn't do justice in my opinion to such a beautiful car.

On a side note they had 2 2014 GT500's on the sales floor. I looked at both, raised the hoods and spent about 15 minutes checking out each car and never spoke to a salesman.

I just took my 2011 GT500 in to Auto Nation Ford in Marietta Ga for my yearly oil change. My car has 2500 miles on it, this oil had maybe 50 miles on it and they soaked me for $156. Charged me for 9 qts of motor craft oil at $15 a pop. Last year they didn't have the oil, so they sent me to Auto Zone to pick up oil and only charged me $28 for the change & filter.

I also have a Ferrari which I just had serviced. They change all the fluids, oil, brake, trans, detail your car with clay bar and wax. Have a spectacular service area and really first rate techs and service advisors. The project took 2 days and ran $600 and my car looked like I just drove it off the showroom floor.

My GT500 service took 1/2 hour, tech barely spoke English and didn't do justice in my opinion to such a beautiful car.

On a side note they had 2 2014 GT500's on the sales floor. I looked at both, raised the hoods and spent about 15 minutes checking out each car and never spoke to a salesman.

Since the 2011 GT500 only takes 6.5 qts of oil, you had better hope they did not actually put 9 qts of oil in your car. Check the dipstick. If it is that overfilled you could severely damage the engine. You might take your owners manual in and ask the service manager about this issue. $15/qt is high even by dealer standards. I get Motorcraft 5W-50 from my Auto Nation Dealership here in FL for $8.71/qt.

I plan on checking the level this morning, and I did ask them for an extra quart to keep in my garage. That would still be 8 qts when the capacity is 6.5. I should have known the capacity but I had good service from this dealer in the past and I had the oil changed because I took the car out and it said it was time. Those messages must also be time sensitive.

Autonation Ford in Marietta is one of the worst dealerships I have ever had the unfortunate luck of walking in to. They know nothing about their cars and have no interest in customer service, they simply sell by volume and don't care how they treat you. You're WAY better off driving a little farther to one of the woodstock fords.

Around a 100.00 is normal for a GT500. A friend told me about a customer who complained that 100.00 was too much for an oil change and went to one of the drive through oil change places, got it done for 30 bucks (hell of a deal). The guy showed up about a month latter at my friend's shop with noises coming from the bottom end. 5w30- 5W50 whats the difference; around 13K for a new short block. Change it yourself and change it often. I order Redline 5W50 by the 5 gallon pail.

Just had my second change done last week at the ford dealership and my shelby has 15,000 miles on it and the price was $116.00. That was for motorcraft oil 5w50 and the 820s filter and it does take 8 1/2 qts of oil. My first one was free from the dealer so why turn something free away? I am there watching them do the work so I'm not worried about them screwing something up. On my 2010 and 2012 at the time, I did buy my own oil and filters from k-man and it cost about 8.00 a qt and only about 4.00 a filter and had big ten tires to change it and the cost was only about 20.00 to do that. With the 13 it is cheaper to let the dealer change it.

You are probably right. I spoke with the service manager today and he is going to resolve this issue tomorrow. He assured me that the correct amount of oil was put into the car but could not explain where the rest of it was. He also couldn't explain the $156 price tag when I told him 3 other dealers with GT500's in stock wanted $80, $80, and $75 for the same service.

I will post the results tomorrow. I bought my GT up in NJ when I was there in 2011. I used this dealer when I brought my car down here, first to fix a slow leaking tire. Then last spring for an oil change. Both times they were very nice, they were under a different name at that time.

I'm curious did Ford not offer a maintenance package on the 2013 GT500? I'm curious because I bought a schedule maintenance package for my 2010 GT500 that covers all schedule maintenance up 100,000 or 6 years whichever comes first. I paid $1700 up front and it covers everything with the exception of spark plugs, rotors, and tires

You are probably right. I spoke with the service manager today and he is going to resolve this issue tomorrow. He assured me that the correct amount of oil was put into the car but could not explain where the rest of it was. He also couldn't explain the $156 price tag when I told him 3 other dealers with GT500's in stock wanted $80, $80, and $75 for the same service.

I will post the results tomorrow. I bought my GT up in NJ when I was there in 2011. I used this dealer when I brought my car down here, first to fix a slow leaking tire. Then last spring for an oil change. Both times they were very nice, they were under a different name at that time.

Not sure who you think is right but I thought I would respond. Don't know how the service manager was sure the correct amount of oil was put in the car unless he did it himself (which is unlikely). I would not believe a thing he said. Being nice is one thing but being competent is another. I will take competent every time. I suggest you demand a refund for the oil you have been charged for that exceeded the cars capacity. I would also be damn sure that they actually used 5W-50 and not 5W-20 instead. This is a mistake that many dealers make and could be fatal to your engine. Lastly, I would NEVER use this dealership again for any service. The dealership I bought my car from is similar to yours. They had a great sales organization and gave me a huge discount off MSRP. However, their service department is a disaster. I would not let them check the air in my tires. I found another dealership that is highly competent to do service I cannot do myself. One thing I learned years ago is that most dealers use the least skilled and lowest level "techs" to do oil changes. Take a close look at them. If you do, you will never let them touch your car again.

First of all I want to thank everyone that was kind enough to respond. I am a bit older now 63, and even though I have enjoyed working on my cars and motorcycles at this stage of the game I find myself looking for decent dealerships. I have a dream garage with 2 lifts but the cars & motorcycles could easily be a full time job! As it is everything is carefully cleaned after each use and waxed seasonly. When I was younger it would have been a pleasure, today more like a part time job. Don't get me wrong, I love my rides, but they do require attention.

The Ferrari dealer spoils you, they are really nice once your join the family and treat your car like it is theirs. My Chevies have also been well taken care of at Thornton Chevrolet. They just get oil changes, but they are done quickly and my cars always are spotless when returned.

This oil change has been an experience. My main concern at this point is was 8.5 qts put in since my car appears new with 2500 miles on it? I was quite surprised to learn the 2013 takes 2qts more then my 2011. My car is back up on a lift in my garage so tomorrow I will take it down, check the level and see what the dealer has to say.

Once again thanks for everyone's input. For you younger guys, this is where you will be (if your lucky like me) in another 40 years! You will have a garage full of your favorite cars figuring out which one your going to drive......and how long it's going to take you to clean it!

First of all I want to thank everyone that was kind enough to respond. I am a bit older now 63, and even though I have enjoyed working on my cars and motorcycles at this stage of the game I find myself looking for decent dealerships. I have a dream garage with 2 lifts but the cars & motorcycles could easily be a full time job! As it is everything is carefully cleaned after each use and waxed seasonly. When I was younger it would have been a pleasure, today more like a part time job. Don't get me wrong, I love my rides, but they do require attention.

The Ferrari dealer spoils you, they are really nice once your join the family and treat your car like it is theirs. My Chevies have also been well taken care of at Thornton Chevrolet. They just get oil changes, but they are done quickly and my cars always are spotless when returned.

This oil change has been an experience. My main concern at this point is was 8.5 qts put in since my car appears new with 2500 miles on it? I was quite surprised to learn the 2013 takes 2qts more then my 2011. My car is back up on a lift in my garage so tomorrow I will take it down, check the level and see what the dealer has to say.

Once again thanks for everyone's input. For you younger guys, this is where you will be (if your lucky like me) in another 40 years! You will have a garage full of your favorite cars figuring out which one your going to drive......and how long it's going to take you to clean it!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger in the age department. I turn 66 in a few days. I still manage to do most of the routine service on my fleet (1 truck, 2 cars, and an HD) although it is not as easy as it used to be. I wish I had a lift like yours. My back gets really sore lying on the concrete floor of the garage changing the oil. I know what you mean about the Ferrari dealer spoiling you. The BMW dealer does the same for us with my wife's car. They treat you like royalty from the minute you arrive and do superior work on the car. I let them change the oil on her car and never worry for a second. Let us know how things come out at the Ford dealer.

IngotSilverSnake:

Well thank you! With the price of our current selection of "Hot Cars" I guess there are more then a couple of older folks out there. Of course my mind is young, I still think like a 21 year old, it's just that when I start washing cars anything past 2 isn't happening!

The lifts are great, my garage has 13 or 14' ceilings (I don't recall which) so I had 2 Backyard Buddy lifts manufactured and installed. They are terrific, they sit on wide bases and can be moved with large rollers if you wanted to reposition them. Of course I have cars on them so if any work has to be done everything has to be moved around. I am very fortunate my cars are in excellent condition, and they are well maintained (with the current situation an exception) so other then cleaning the undercarriages I haven't needed to do any work. It's not like the old days, my first car was a 1961 Corvette with a 1964 fuel injected motor. I spent almost every day fixing something! It was a great car, lots of fun but it used to eat starters! One Friday night I had to put 3 separate starters in it until I got one that worked! Back in 1967 you went to the local auto store and swapped out your bad starter for a "rebuilt" one for $20 bucks. That was my weekend fun money at the time. All the repairs were made in your driveway with your car under a rolling jack. If the "rebuilt" part was bad they would give you another one. The response was usually "what do you want from me kid? I didn't rebuild it"

Well I resolved my issue with Auto Nation Ford today. First of all no one returned my calls like they said they would. No one could be reached as the entire staff except the operator seemed to be in a meeting. Hope it was about customer service. Finally my original service advisor called me to tell me he didn't know what happened. Somehow I was overcharged, imagine that! Must have been a computer error!

He said he would either give me a free oil change, or a refund. Hmmmm, a free oil change, let's see let these guys that have no idea how much oil they put in my car have another go at it.......no, I'll take the refund. I asked how much it would be, he said he would call me with the amount.

A couple of hours later I went there, I did receive a $62 refund. I asked to speak with the General manager naturally he wasn't there. I walked into a room full of guys all of which appeared clueless. One fellow was nice, he took a copy of my service order and said he would have someone call me. We will see, he then followed me outside to get a look at the Ferrari.

When I returned home I received an email from Chris something or other the Customer Service Manager asking me how my recent service went. It included his personal phone number which turned out to be the main dealer number and the operator never heard of this guy.

The Key Stone Cops are alive and well and giving customers the business on Hwy 41 in Marietta!

Unbelievable!

Stories like this what really gets to me. It is just so sad that the basic of car maint, of which could be the start of a great PR deal and make you a customer for a long time can be so screwed up. I wish you lived close to me Njja and many more with the same problems because I may not be a dealer, or a professional shop but one thing I am is a car guy and take pride in my work and do my best.

Sorry for the rant but as a maint mechanic for a distro center I see stuff like this everyday and it just gets to me how it seems like some just don't care on the quality of work they do. Even after service has been provided I feel the job had not ended. One of my duties include helping take care of a fleet of over two hundred forklifts, but with that we also communicate with the operators and in the end how you talk and treat just a simple thing like the person who drives the equipment makes a different. Some go through school to lean the care and repair of the stuff but somehow when in the field they have no idea where to start or what to do.

Why I try to stay away from the dealers, unlike your Ferrari who sounds like they treat you good! Hey maybe they could do your Shelby :)

Archived