TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT/SC Owners question

39Mustang

I have a 2008 Shelby GT/SC and mine has the Kenne Bell... yesterday for the first time I drove a 2013 GT350 Conv. with the 5.0 and NO supercharger and the 5.0 Coyote felt way stronger than the 4.6 w/ the supercharger so any of you with the Kenne Bell or Ford Racing whipple and if any of you have driven the new 5.0 engine did you feel the same thing I did?

My 08 GT/SC has a full Griggs Racing suspension, Roll Bar, 20" Razors, Extreme+ Baer Claws and this car is glue to the ground but I'm telling you the 5.0 without blower seemed much stronger to me

Way more low end torque in my SGT/SC (KB), but the Road Runner engine in my Boss is a high RPM screamer and will quickly overtake the Shelby. 440 rwhp in the Shelby and 400 rwhp in the Boss, but again, low end torque and initial pull off the line goes to the 3-valve positive displacement supercharged engine.

Especially low end?? There is something wrong with your Supercharger, if something it should be high RPM's that it feels more powerful, not low end.

nothing wrong with my supercharger! I have experience driving all kinds of Mustangs from these to the old big blocks, 302's, 351C, and so on and the one thing the 4.6's lack is a lot of low-end torq even with a blower. I didn't say the 5.0 w/o blower would beat my GT/SC I said from first impression it felt like it had more power. Could be other factors involved too. Take the Kenne Bell off my 4.6 and the Coyote is gonna tear it up

nothing wrong with my supercharger! I have experience driving all kinds of Mustangs from these to the old big blocks, 302's, 351C, and so on and the one thing the 4.6's lack is a lot of low-end torq even with a blower. I didn't say the 5.0 w/o blower would beat my GT/SC I said from first impression it felt like it had more power. Could be other factors involved too. Take the Kenne Bell off my 4.6 and the Coyote is gonna tear it up

Got it, I love the 5.0, if I were in the market I would have a Boss. If I never went GT/SC I would have traded for a Boss for sure. I agree it is superior in every way to the 4.6 especially the Boss Motor. I hear what you are saying, I have a Porsche 911 that on paper keeps up with or beats my Shelby, but to me it does not feel close to as fast. The Porsche is MUCH easier to get traction, it is actually difficult to spin the tires, and it also screams at Higher RPM's. The Mustang is very hard to launch, the tires want to spin in 1st-3rd if you stomp on it. From a stop the Porsche would probably take it, a roll I do not think would be close. I do not beat on my cars at all so it doesn't really matter to me, both are faster than I need. Every car feels different.

Got it, I love the 5.0, if I were in the market I would have a Boss. If I never went GT/SC I would have traded for a Boss for sure. I agree it is superior in every way to the 4.6 especially the Boss Motor. I hear what you are saying, I have a Porsche 911 that on paper keeps up with or beats my Shelby, but to me it does not feel close to as fast. The Porsche is MUCH easier to get traction, it is actually difficult to spin the tires, and it also screams at Higher RPM's. The Mustang is very hard to launch, the tires want to spin in 1st-3rd if you stomp on it. From a stop the Porsche would probably take it, a roll I do not think would be close. I do not beat on my cars at all so it doesn't really matter to me, both are faster than I need. Every car feels different.

After reading this and you mentioned traction you made me think of one of the main facts in my opinion and on my GT/SC it still has the Nitto's from SAI on there and I didn't want them from day 1 as even though I got the full Griggs susp. these Nitto's are very slippery meaning they let loose real easy and the Goodyear F1's on the GT350 are REAL STICKY! I can't stand Goodyear's but man these things are like peanut butter on the road

The 5 liter motors come in bodies that are not as pretty as the 05-09s. If the 5 liter feels stronger than your SC 4.6 you need to find a new tuner.

last place to do dyno and check tune was Power by the Hour but I guess after their setup's have set records at the Texas Mile I guess they have no idea what they're doing right...

After reading this and you mentioned traction you made me think of one of the main facts in my opinion and on my GT/SC it still has the Nitto's from SAI on there and I didn't want them from day 1 as even though I got the full Griggs susp. these Nitto's are very slippery meaning they let loose real easy and the Goodyear F1's on the GT350 are REAL STICKY! I can't stand Goodyear's but man these things are like peanut butter on the road

I have the nitto 555 extremes with 285x30x20's on the back and whipple with 410 gears and they will spin on demand. I agree the nitto's aren't what they are cracked up to be when it comes to traction.I plan on getting the Michelin's next time .

I have the nitto 555 extremes with 285x30x20's on the back and whipple with 410 gears and they will spin on demand. I agree the nitto's aren't what they are cracked up to be when it comes to traction.I plan on getting the Michelin's next time .

I also have the Nitto, when cold they are dangerous, after warm they are much better. They still spin on demand, but I assumed with this much power all tires would.

Especially low end?? There is something wrong with your Supercharger, if something it should be high RPM's that it feels more powerful, not low end.

Agree, I got behind some 302's at TWS two weeks ago and I seemed to pull them at will regardless of speed or gears that we were in at the time. The Boss has supperior track handleing (IMO), but acceleration of the SGT/SC whipple can't be touched by the 302's.

Sorry Boss guys, get a blower ;)

Archived