TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coupe vs Vert Noise

wagge

I will not get to drive before I buy so I need to know what you think about the noise factor of a Vert. Is it much louder than the coupe. Wife wants to know

Any other negs about the vert,

Is it hard to care for

will the mechanical parts hold up

resale as good as the coupe

Thanks again, shit! I am getting nervous, I must be getting ready to buy.

Depends what you mean top down 80 MPH on the I-5 you can still hear the radio in a vert. One of my wife's comments on the 13 is the stock mufflers don't sound very loud! "You need to fix that" LOL.

The verts are put together well even our 07 with 60,000 miles is still really solid and quiet. I cannot say the same about my 93 GT it has more wind noise with the top up then down, but it was built as a coup and then outsourced by ford to cut the top off. The new ones have lots of extra bracing and not just a coup with the top cut off.

For daily driver, the couple would be quieter, I have a Vert but it is not a daily driver, it is awesome driving a Shelby with the top down (I rarely put top up). I would not trade it for a coupe. I would drive both, even if you have to drive a comparable Mustang GT coupe & Vert if you can't find the Shelby's, it will give you a perspective on the differences in experience.

I love my vert - top down with the sound of the exhaust - you won't be sorry. Top up - just as quiet as other coupes I have driven. You do lose just a bit of trunk space with the vert - but not like you will be making runs to Home Depot with this car. Also bought a CDC wind screen - really helps - esp with my wife who does not enjoy a lot of breeze with the top down. FWIW.

Im a Vert Fan because every Stang that I owned has been a Vert starting with a 2003 pony , 2008 Gt, 2010 GT500, 2012 GT500 and now the badest of all 2013 GT500. The only bad experience that you'll have with a Vert is that you have to smell other peoples cigerattes. I have changed out all my exhaust with my Verts so that they are louder. You will not regret thaat you got a Vert.

I love my vert - top down with the sound of the exhaust - you won't be sorry. Top up - just as quiet as other coupes I have driven.

i second that, the top is well made and insulated. up, it's just as quiet as a FRC but I think I've only dirven it with top up once. if the sun is out, the top is down.

Damn, guys your killing me, just when I was talking the wife out of one because of the noise you just cost me 4k

When I was pricing both a loaded vert vs a loaded coupe the difference was about $60.00.

Yea you are limited to 155 but I know of nowhere in the USA you can do even that legally on the streets. :salute:

Love my vert. My 12 is a joy to drive. Didn't buy a wind screen (not much hair left...LOL) but the design of windshield and body do not give much back draft plus I have the recaro seats which helps with the high back keeping whatever wind from hitting my head.

Nothing more relaxing than driving with the top down. Only problem is your right there with everyone and if you want to have a private conversation on the phone or with a passenger and are at a stop the neighbors love to listen in. Plus they are always asking you questions about the car since your in the open but that is okay because I love talking about it.

Stereo is not an issue especially with the shaker 1000 and all the speakers that Ford has installed.

I have friends that say wrong choice because you can't track it.........well you can if you install a four point roll cage. I chose not to at this time.

As to sound of pipes you will love it with the top down. Just remember to do a reasonator delete and let the whine be louder.

My 3rd Mustang vert and my 8th in all. cdc windscreen makes even interstate speed conversations easy. Even without it, top up or down, the quietest vert I've ever seen. Topless, baby, topless!

My SS isn't a vert but I really like the glass roof. However, my other car is a hard top convertible and it's true there is nothing like driving with the top down on a nice sunny day. Here's a thought, buy one of each.

Love my vert. My 12 is a joy to drive. Didn't buy a wind screen (not much hair left...LOL) but the design of windshield and body do not give much back draft plus I have the recaro seats which helps with the high back keeping whatever wind from hitting my head.

Nothing more relaxing than driving with the top down. Only problem is your right there with everyone and if you want to have a private conversation on the phone or with a passenger and are at a stop the neighbors love to listen in. Plus they are always asking you questions about the car since your in the open but that is okay because I love talking about it.

Stereo is not an issue especially with the shaker 1000 and all the speakers that Ford has installed.

I have friends that say wrong choice because you can't track it.........well you can if you install a four point roll cage. I chose not to at this time.

As to sound of pipes you will love it with the top down. Just remember to do a reasonator delete and let the whine be louder.

+1 GG

• 2 weeks later...

You're either a convertible person or not. My old boss, you couldn't give him a 'vert. Me, I've owned a '93 Cobra coupe, a '95 Cobra 'vert, a '99 Cobra coupe, an '03 10th anniversary 'Vert, an '08 GT500 'vert and now my '13 GT500 'vert. As others have already mentioned, when the sun is out and the top is down, there's nothing else like it. I don't notice it being any noiser than the coupes. There is a little bit more cowl shake with a convertible and that's common. Also, don't worry so much about resale. Buy what you're going to enjoy. And I think you'll enjoy the 'vert much, much more.

bought a coupe, 14 loaded gray with red stripe. After spending the day riding the countryside my wife and I were glad we did the coupe. maybe a vert the next go round. thanks for the reply's

A bit off topic but, can you have the wind screen without the light bar? Anyone done it?

Cheers.

Yes

I have a

LB6WS_1.jpg

on the 07 it is OK, but on the 13 I used Love the Ride screen

Mustang_Windscreen_2005_to_2013_1.jpg

The love the Ride is a much better product for wind reduction. I have not installed one of those ugly picnic basket handles :barf: in any of my cars.

A bit off topic but, can you have the wind screen without the light bar? Anyone done it?

Cheers.

I also have the CDC windscreen without light bar. Excellent! Best investment I've ever made (besides the car)! Wish I had bought it the week I bought the car! The light bar is not my cup of tea either. I've just never been fond of them......but, wouldn't trade my windscreen for anything!

You might be able to see mine in my profile pic.....

I had a '08 GT Vert that I traded in on my '14 GT500 coupe. The vert is ok but road noise is annoying to me. No wind noise, just other vehicles, mainly semi's, they sound like they are in the back seat when you pass them. I've had pre cancerous places treated on my face and hands so a vert just exposes me more to sunshine that I don't need. Coupe for me.

Archived