TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Very Strongly Considering a 2014 GT500

They won't warranty a faulty clutch! As the driver and owner of the car and clutch problem in discussion, my bona fide should prove up well. I've owned my share of mustangs through the years, and currently have a 2012 Boss, 2013 Boss Laguna Seca, 2012 Shelby Super Snake, and the 2013 Shelby SVT GT500 currently in the shop for clutch failure. This much I can attest to: I'm a more than competent driver with many years of experience. The car in question went through 1,000 miles of gentle breaking -in, followed by an oil change. The car has only 1,200 miles on it.

After servicing by Ford for the oil change I began to notice on an intermittent basis a whiff of clutch burn; perhaps twice preceding the catastrophic failure.

As I drive between my home base of Victoria, Texas and Austin on a regular basis, (I know the stretch like the back of my hand), there are no surprises on the journey with regard to the path ahead. We are currently in the middle of the Eagle Ford shale trend which can load the highway with large, slow moving oil service trucks. I don't like slow when I can go fast and know what the car's acceleration will allow me to do safely but with plenty of horsepower to back up my maneuver. l accelerate to pass three slow moving service trucks, reaching 100 mph more or less in 5th gear as I clear the last truck. I brake down to 90 mph, and the shift down to 4th gear for additional breakingsimultaneously giving the car gas in order to smooth out the ride. When I released the clutch, well I had no clutch. No power to the drivetrain at all. Now the acrid smoke of the clutch comes billowing out from underneath the hood.

So I'll let you folks be the judge. Driver error or defective part?

That's just so wrong that they're still having this clutch probs..hell it's been 7 years to get it right but being built in Mexico don't help IMO.

denohew,

You need to move this up the ladder at Ford as your local dealer isn't performing to their standard. With the stable of Stangs you have (a top customer by anyones definition) and only 1,200 miles on the 2013 GT500 clutch when it blew out, Ford doesn't want this incident to go viral in the Shelby community. The fact that your car was serviced just prior to failure is also suspect. Go to another dealer (preferably an SVT location) and speak with the Service Manager. If you don't get any help, ask for a meeting with the Zone representative. That should do the trick. Good luck and let us know what happens...

I still would not hesitate to buy this awesome machine because of this.

Let's say the clutch does go. What are those of you with the clutch problem doing? Are you upgrading your clutch to an aftermarket clutch or just replacing it with an OEM clutch? Does upgrading the clutch void the whole warranty?

Awesome! Great to hear from people that have actually driven both. Which Vette did you have?

I had a 1999 C5 convertible with some minor mods. It was my daily driver and I had over 70K miles on it when I sold it (not the most family friendly car when we had kids). it was the greatest car I ever had...until I picked up the Shelby. I always thought I'd get another Vette but once I started reading about the Shelby mustang and the fact the kids could actually hop in the back seat for a cruise, I decided that was the way to go. I shopped for close to 4 years waiting and saving and when they announced the upgrades to the 2013, I knew it was time. ordered in Oct and picked up in Dec, have been smiling ever since.

I have a 2013 GT500 that has over 10,000 miles on it and some of them hard. It has never given me any problems at all. Never been in the shop for anything its perfect and always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Get it with the Glass Top its the best thing I ever did when ordering it. Would not have one without it.

Archived