TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Very Strongly Considering a 2014 GT500

Greetings. This is my first post on these forums :)

I'm am very strongly considering a 2014 Shelby GT500. I'm coming from a modified Pontiac G8 GT which I modified to about 450 rwhp. I am trying to decide between the new C7 Corvette Stingray and the GT500. I know they are very different cars, but the similarity in price makes them both options for me. I love both cars, I know the GT500 will certainly be faster in a straight line. I only have a few questions and concerns regarding the Shelby. One is the clutch. I've read multiple times of people experiencing catastrophic clutch failure on completely stock GT500's with barely 1000 miles on them. Is this a common issue with this car? Second question I have is the transmission. I've seen videos where they say the transmission is notchy and clunky. Then I saw the Jay Leno video where he said it shifts very nicely and is much improved over the previous tremec gearbox that was used. And thirdly, how does this car handle? I know it has a solid rear axle which makes me pause for a second, but then I read that what team Shelby was able to do with a live rear axle in this car is extraordinary.

I haven't had the chance to drive the car, but I did get to sit in it for about 20 seconds at the Javits Center at the New York Auto Show before I had to get up and let the next person on the huge line sit in it. One thing I noticed is the seat felt kind of high up. It didn't feel particularly sporty. Is the seat height adjustable at all?

All in all, I love this car. It undeniably, one of the most bad ass cars of all time. Just raw, brutal and purely American, which I love. The C7 Vette seems like it would be more refined, but obviously without the grunt of this car. Those of you that have driven this car as well as many others, what do you have to say about my few concerns and how can you compare the feel of it to other similarly priced cars like the Corvette? I'm more interested in the things that can be put into numbers on paper about this car.

-Mario

Mario welcome to Team Shelby!!!!

you need to go find a car and get a ride or test drive one... they are sweet,, and yes you can drive them like you stole it and tear the clutch out, and no the stock clutch will not handle that for long, i had way too many stock ones in my 08, but i cant blame the car.... i drive my car like it should be driven.... but a clutch swap is easy, not too expensive...

would i ever consider a vette?? aint no way in hell...

It's definitely a bad ass car. I just saw one a few hours ago in a driveway. It was beautiful. The clutch is my biggest worry. Is there an aftermarket clutch that people are getting that is more durable but not very different from the stock clutch feel?

I'd love to get a ride in one, but that's easier said then done. I don't know anybody personally with one, and being as expensive and rare as they are, dealerships are hesitant (understandably) to let people test drive one. I'm sure once I feel all that torque, I probably won't be able to resist.

If you're looking at numbers, I think the Shelby will hold its value much better than a Vette would, the Shelby is also more exclusive and limited than your run of the mill Vette. I also feel you'd get a lot more positive looks and nods with the Shelby.

I for one have no issues with the clutch or the shifter. I feel a lot of the clutch issues are driver related but that's my opinion. Shifter doesn't seem too notchy to me. You do have to expect a little give and take, after all its a 662hp car stock off the showroom floor!

If you look at what the used '13's are going for vs a Vette resale is already better.

Get the Shelby. I would not worry about the clutch, you are going to have a warrant y on a 2014 for 3Yr/36K so not an issue and you can always get an extended warranty.

The threads I read stated that ford won't warranty a clutch because it is a "wear and tear" item, much like brake pads/rotors etc. One thread I read, the OP stated that once he hit 1200 miles, the clutch went. He said he downshifted and the clutch literally fell out of the bottom of the car.

Good to know it's not a well known common problem. Just spending that kind of money on a car, I'd like to make sure.

It's hard to get an unbiased view of both cars. I asked the same question on Corvette forums and I almost got into a fight with one guy that was ignorantly ripping on the Shelby and all Mustangs. Maybe I can pass by a local meet or something one day.

With regards to your seat question the standard seat does have a height adjustment, I see you live in the northeast, if you live in NJ I know a dealer who has a 14 that they will let you test drive if you are really wanting to buy.

I haven't had mine that long, but from my experience with it so far: the transmission is great, it handles better than anything that I have ever driven, and I have no comment on the clutch issue. I've owned eight Mustangs, six were manual transmission GTs, this being number eight, although the GT500 is in another league in every respect. Coming from a 2012 Brembo GT with the MT-82 transmission, I am not sure what the guys in these internet videos must be used to driving, because the Tremec is easy to maneuver.

Pete

The threads I read stated that ford won't warranty a clutch because it is a "wear and tear" item, much like brake pads/rotors etc. One thread I read, the OP stated that once he hit 1200 miles, the clutch went. He said he downshifted and the clutch literally fell out of the bottom of the car.

Good to know it's not a well known common problem. Just spending that kind of money on a car, I'd like to make sure.

It's hard to get an unbiased view of both cars. I asked the same question on Corvette forums and I almost got into a fight with one guy that was ignorantly ripping on the Shelby and all Mustangs. Maybe I can pass by a local meet or something one day.

Just make sure you take your time breaking in the clutch and you'll be fine. There's a lot more people without problems than there with problems.

As far as asking opinions on a Vette site, you better forget about getting an an actual unbiased opinion from those guys. The are the most biased prima donnas out there. That is one reason I could never bring myself to owning a Vette (unless a 50's-60's classic)! Yes a Vette will be more refined and have better handling but it should, its in a totally different class of cars.

I'm sure (hoping at least) it handles better than my Pontiac G8 GT. I'm sure it won't handle or brake like the Vette, but I have never owned a Vette, so there's nothing I would be really "missing" lol.

And yes, I noticed that about the internet videos. They make the transmission out to be the clunkiest, most annoying transmission ever. One video, the guy kept missing second and he said he couldn't find 2nd...

Here's the video actually. Skip to 7:25

With regards to your seat question the standard seat does have a height adjustment, I see you live in the northeast, if you live in NJ I know a dealer who has a 14 that they will let you test drive if you are really wanting to buy.

Okay, that is awesome news. I live on Long Island, New York. What is the name of the dealership?

2 totally different cars. The Vette(especially the C7) is more of a "sports car", with more finesse & handling. The Shelby is more of a "musclecar", with more grunt & bad-ass attitude. Personally I'd love to own both, but I prefer the Shelby of course....

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'd love to own both also, but unfortunately I'm not in a position where I'd be able to do that. I have had a good taste of muscle and love it also but I'm very curious about "sports cars." I know I love muscle, but still not sure which I'd like more. I can't help but think I'd have more fun with 662 horsepower :D

As far as asking opinions on a Vette site, you better forget about getting an an actual unbiased opinion from those guys. The are the most biased prima donnas out there. That is one reason I could never bring myself to owning a Vette

:hysterical: That is true lol. The demographic that the Vette has gotten isn't an appealing one. Every time I see a Vette go by, it's either an old man, a drug dealer or a spoiled snobby rich kid. With that being said, there are some great, down to earth, younger Vette owners out there that I have met. And there were some on there that gave me an unbiased answer, but of course they were accompanied by those saying things like "don't even bring up that piece of crap "disgustang" in here. Only a complete idiot would buy one of those overweight pieces of crap." That's not even an exaggeration of one of the replies I got.

The transmission under warranty just like the rest of the drivetrain, they will repair it if it breaks or is defective. The clutch will wear normally and will need to be replaced (just like brakes) but Tremecs are very good transmissions. I am a fan of both cars and would like to own both, I am just saying don't rule out a Shelby because you are worried about the transmission.

It's not the transmission I'm worried about. I just hear from some that it is notchy, but I'm not really concerned about that. Just the clutch blowing up prematurely and way too easily, but now that I learned that this shouldn't be a real concern and to just allow proper break in, I'm not as worried about it. I'm actually surprised the warranty is only a 3yr/36k mile warranty. I was under the impression it was a 5 year warranty.

Secondly and unrelated, anybody know where I can find some nice pictures of this car in black??? :drool: :D

:hysterical: That is true lol. The demographic that the Vette has gotten isn't an appealing one. Every time I see a Vette go by, it's either an old man, a drug dealer or a spoiled snobby rich kid. With that being said, there are some great, down to earth, younger Vette owners out there that I have met. And there were some on there that gave me an unbiased answer, but of course they were accompanied by those saying things like "don't even bring up that piece of crap "disgustang" in here. Only a complete idiot would buy one of those overweight pieces of crap." That's not even an exaggeration of one of the replies I got.

Well I'm not any of those... :hysterical: I think it'll be a little biased here also after all it's a Ford site personally I have owned an 07 GT500 and have driven a 013 GT500 IMO drive both cars before you spend your hard earned coin on either a Vette or a GT500 that's the only way you can determine which one you'll be happy with they're both awesome cars but in very different ways..oh and I wouldn't count the base C7 out in a strait line run as they never released the official hp #'s yet if it's anywhere close to the 500 hp mark and at least 500 to 600 lbs less than the GT500 it'll be a close run..if you look at the 1/4 mile and top speed #'s of the 013 GT500 and a C6 Z06 they're very close so if the base C7 is around the 500 hp mark like I say it'll be close..good luck either way you go...Oh and welcome to this site lots of great people on here... :salute:

Greetings. This is my first post on these forums :)

I'm am very strongly considering a 2014 Shelby GT500. I'm coming from a modified Pontiac G8 GT which I modified to about 450 rwhp. I am trying to decide between the new C7 Corvette Stingray and the GT500. I know they are very different cars, but the similarity in price makes them both options for me. I love both cars, I know the GT500 will certainly be faster in a straight line. I only have a few questions and concerns regarding the Shelby. One is the clutch. I've read multiple times of people experiencing catastrophic clutch failure on completely stock GT500's with barely 1000 miles on them. Is this a common issue with this car? Second question I have is the transmission. I've seen videos where they say the transmission is notchy and clunky. Then I saw the Jay Leno video where he said it shifts very nicely and is much improved over the previous tremec gearbox that was used. And thirdly, how does this car handle? I know it has a solid rear axle which makes me pause for a second, but then I read that what team Shelby was able to do with a live rear axle in this car is extraordinary.

I haven't had the chance to drive the car, but I did get to sit in it for about 20 seconds at the Javits Center at the New York Auto Show before I had to get up and let the next person on the huge line sit in it. One thing I noticed is the seat felt kind of high up. It didn't feel particularly sporty. Is the seat height adjustable at all?

All in all, I love this car. It undeniably, one of the most bad ass cars of all time. Just raw, brutal and purely American, which I love. The C7 Vette seems like it would be more refined, but obviously without the grunt of this car. Those of you that have driven this car as well as many others, what do you have to say about my few concerns and how can you compare the feel of it to other similarly priced cars like the Corvette? I'm more interested in the things that can be put into numbers on paper about this car.

-Mario

get the GT500.its the king of muscle cars,and it comes from a company that didnt file for bankruptcy.also.if the rumors are true,the 351 will not fit in the new mustangs.so right off the bat,you will have a car that was only made for 2 years.you cant beat that.with that live axle that GT500 still beats the zl1 on most tracks.they say a person in a vette is either old and balding,and trying to look cool.the GT500 doesnt have to act cool because the world knows its cool. :happy feet: FORD built without your tax dollars.

Well I'm not any of those... :hysterical: I think it'll be a little biased here also after all it's a Ford site personally I have owned an 07 GT500 and have driven a 013 GT500 IMO drive both cars before you spend your hard earned coin on either a Vette or a GT500 that's the only way you can determine which one you'll be happy with they're both awesome cars but in very different ways..oh and I wouldn't count the base C7 out in a strait line run as they never released the official hp #'s yet if it's anywhere close to the 500 hp mark and at least 500 to 600 lbs less than the GT500 it'll be a close run..if you look at the 1/4 mile and top speed #'s of the 013 GT500 and a C6 Z06 they're very close so if the base C7 is around the 500 hp mark like I say it'll be close..good luck either way you go...Oh and welcome to this site lots of great people on here... :salute:

Thanks Keith. I'm dying to find out what the final numbers of the Vette are. Tadge said he has an unrevealed surprise and he's supposed to spill the beans at the Corvette Bash at Bowling Green next week! I find it hard to believe this Vette would be able to keep up with the Shelby in a straight line, but until we have hard numbers, no way to tell for sure.

And I hope they don't drop the GT500 in 2015 when they change body styles. That's making me nervous also, I want to see what 2015 will bring before I pull the trigger. It will either make me wait, or make the GT500 left overs go so quick that I won't be able to find one.

I'm sure (hoping at least) it handles better than my Pontiac G8 GT. I'm sure it won't handle or brake like the Vette, but I have never owned a Vette, so there's nothing I would be really "missing" lol.

And yes, I noticed that about the internet videos. They make the transmission out to be the clunkiest, most annoying transmission ever. One video, the guy kept missing second and he said he couldn't find 2nd...

Here's the video actually. Skip to 7:25

Okay, that is awesome news. I live on Long Island, New York. What is the name of the dealership?

The name of the dealer is Freehold Ford located on Rt.9 in Freehold, NJ they let me test drive my GT500 before I bought it as did two other dealers in NJ, I don't know if the other dealers have a 2014 GT500 but Frehold did as of last Sunday white with black stripe...good luck

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'd love to own both also, but unfortunately I'm not in a position where I'd be able to do that. I have had a good taste of muscle and love it also but I'm very curious about "sports cars." I know I love muscle, but still not sure which I'd like more. I can't help but think I'd have more fun with 662 horsepower :D

I'm a former Vette owner, my 2013 Shelby is my first mustang ever. The shelby is an amazing machine and a blast to drive, I find myself grinning like a child at simple things like accelerating onto the on-ramp or listening to the exhaust rumble a stop light. i'm a bit of an attention wh0re and love the stares and waves I get with the Shelby. the new stingray is cool but you will see dozens of them every day. I loved my Vette but find the Shelby way more fun to drive.

Thanks Keith. I'm dying to find out what the final numbers of the Vette are. Tadge said he has an unrevealed surprise and he's supposed to spill the beans at the Corvette Bash at Bowling Green next week! I find it hard to believe this Vette would be able to keep up with the Shelby in a straight line, but until we have hard numbers, no way to tell for sure.

And I hope they don't drop the GT500 in 2015 when they change body styles. That's making me nervous also, I want to see what 2015 will bring before I pull the trigger. It will either make me wait, or make the GT500 left overs go so quick that I won't be able to find one.

Yeah hope they don't drop it either but I think it'll change so much that it won't represent the older style ( Retro look ) anyway but again this is just speculation on my part as no one really knows what Ford has waiting in the wings...if you do like the GT500 that much jump on a 014 now but if I were you don't take my word or anyone else's word how good or bad this car is try one for your self..I had an 09 Z06 and loved the thing but I got to drive the ZR1 and fell in love with it and bought one had I have driven one before I bought the Z06 I would have went right to the ZR1.

I'm a former Vette owner, my 2013 Shelby is my first mustang ever. The shelby is an amazing machine and a blast to drive, I find myself grinning like a child at simple things like accelerating onto the on-ramp or listening to the exhaust rumble a stop light. i'm a bit of an attention wh0re and love the stares and waves I get with the Shelby. the new stingray is cool but you will see dozens of them every day. I loved my Vette but find the Shelby way more fun to drive.

Awesome! Great to hear from people that have actually driven both. Which Vette did you have?

Yeah hope they don't drop it either but I think it'll change so much that it won't represent the older style ( Retro look ) anyway but again this is just speculation on my part as no one really knows what Ford has waiting in the wings...if you do like the GT500 that much jump on a 014 now but if I were you don't take my word or anyone else's word how good or bad this car is try one for your self..I had an 09 Z06 and loved the thing but I got to drive the ZR1 and fell in love with it and bought one had I have driven one before I bought the Z06 I would have went right to the ZR1.

I definitely would love a 2014 but only have about 10 to put down on it right now. I'd like at the very least double that. 30 would be very nice to get the monthly payments where I want them.

How much longer will the 2014's be around and when are the 2015s supposed to be hitting dealers?

Awesome! Great to hear from people that have actually driven both. Which Vette did you have?

I definitely would love a 2014 but only have about 10 to put down on it right now. I'd like at the very least double that. 30 would be very nice to get the monthly payments where I want them.

How much longer will the 2014's be around and when are the 2015s supposed to be hitting dealers?

Oh gotcha..well all the best and hope you can get one when you're ready...hey the 015 just may be a hit and better than the 013-014 ever was.

Oh gotcha..well all the best and hope you can get one when you're ready...hey the 015 just may be a hit and better than the 013-014 ever was.

Hopefully it's at least as good. If not, hopefully they are still selling 2014's by early spring next year. It would be cool to own the last Shelby Mustang that Carroll Shelby was involved with.

Hopefully it's at least as good. If not, hopefully they are still selling 2014's by early spring next year. It would be cool to own the last Shelby Mustang that Carroll Shelby was involved with.

Yes it would...I'm sure if you can't get one new you'll be able to buy one near new.

They won't warranty a faulty clutch! As the driver and owner of the car and clutch problem in discussion, my bona fide should prove up well. I've owned my share of mustangs through the years, and currently have a 2012 Boss, 2013 Boss Laguna Seca, 2012 Shelby Super Snake, and the 2013 Shelby SVT GT500 currently in the shop for clutch failure. This much I can attest to: I'm a more than competent driver with many years of experience. The car in question went through 1,000 miles of gentle breaking -in, followed by an oil change. The car has only 1,200 miles on it.

After servicing by Ford for the oil change I began to notice on an intermittent basis a whiff of clutch burn; perhaps twice preceding the catastrophic failure.

As I drive between my home base of Victoria, Texas and Austin on a regular basis, (I know the stretch like the back of my hand), there are no surprises on the journey with regard to the path ahead. We are currently in the middle of the Eagle Ford shale trend which can load the highway with large, slow moving oil service trucks. I don't like slow when I can go fast and know what the car's acceleration will allow me to do safely but with plenty of horsepower to back up my maneuver. l accelerate to pass three slow moving service trucks, reaching 100 mph more or less in 5th gear as I clear the last truck. I brake down to 90 mph, and the shift down to 4th gear for additional breakingsimultaneously giving the car gas in order to smooth out the ride. When I released the clutch, well I had no clutch. No power to the drivetrain at all. Now the acrid smoke of the clutch comes billowing out from underneath the hood.

So I'll let you folks be the judge. Driver error or defective part?

It HAD to be a bad clutch but Ford won"t admit it! Think I am going to stop buying Mustangs after MY '14. That new vette sure is eye catching and I am sure for MY 15 Ford is going to lower the horsepower and the clutch plates in the vette don't explode after 1,000 miles! I bet Chevrolet would warranty a problem like this ! Ford does not want to admit that all that torque and too small of a clutch is the factor! Hell who wants to have to warrant thousands of cars? I think a service bulletin will be out soon because of failures like this! denohew

Archived