TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Great Fire Extinguisher Mount for Mustangs

motorjock205

Found a Fire Extinguisher Mount that mounts using one bolt on the passenger side seat mount...Use the standard fire extinguisher bracket and attach it to this mount then install the extinguisher...I've ordered one for my new GT500 and one for my wife's 5.0 California Special...

http://speedtactics.com/mustang_0509_feb.php

Fire Department Battalion Chief gave me two nice 1.5 pound extinguishers...one in Chrome and one Red...The Chrome one is going in my GT500 and the Red one in wife's Red California Special...

What would the differences be between that piece and the one that Shelby offers?

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/sx-19515-u.htm

The Shelby model is "universal" and is not designed for the passenger seat bolt(s).

Am I the only one who is concerned about that thing bending in a crash? I'm concerned for the passenger's achilles !! Why one bolt when there's two right there in front of the seat?

If it bends out the fire extinguisher will be more accessible!

What would the differences be between that piece and the one that Shelby offers?

http://www.shelbysto.../sx-19515-u.htm

Has anyone figured out how to mount the Shelby Fire Extinguisher mount? It looks to be universal and this one is designed for the Mustangs...available in black and silver...

It appears sturdy enough to not bend in the event of a crash...besides, if you are in a crash severe enough to bend it out, the passenger's knees and face will be taking much more impact than the fire extinguisher could impose...The fire extinguisher bracket functions much like some racing seat belt latches, so hopefully it will restrain the extinguisher in much the same way as it would a passenger.

Has anyone figured out how to mount the Shelby Fire Extinguisher mount? It looks to be universal and this one is designed for the Mustangs...available in black and silver...

It appears sturdy enough to not bend in the event of a crash...besides, if you are in a crash severe enough to bend it out, the passenger's knees and face will be taking much more impact than the fire extinguisher could impose...The fire extinguisher bracket functions much like some racing seat belt latches, so hopefully it will restrain the extinguisher in much the same way as it would a passenger.

I came across this when searching. Appears to be the same mount. Has pics of install - appears to be via bolts or hose clamps to roll cage.

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/mustang-fire-extinguisher-mount-p-4602.html

Am I the only one who is concerned about that thing bending in a crash? I'm concerned for the passenger's achilles !! Why one bolt when there's two right there in front of the seat?

Got to agree with you there. If this bracket is "custom" made just for the 2005-12 Mustang's then why just one mounting hole?

Their Camaro, Viper & Porsche brackets all use two mounting holes.

Steve

WTH??? I paid $152.97 for two and 20.99 shipping! I have sent them an email about it...I had not found anything on ebay...RATS!!!!

No kidding? Thats a lot. Mine was $55.42 shipped. Im an ebay junky and can find most things on ebay that I see on other websites...and usually a lot cheaper.

Many times, its from the same retailers...And Ebay offers 2% rebate

WTH??? I paid $152.97 for two and 20.99 shipping! I have sent them an email about it...I had not found anything on ebay...RATS!!!!

Just got an email back from them...they are refunding my original shipping cost and the brackets are on their way! Sounds like GREAT customer service too! I'll let you guys know how they work out...

Got to agree with you there. If this bracket is "custom" made just for the 2005-12 Mustang's then why just one mounting hole?

Their Camaro, Viper & Porsche brackets all use two mounting holes.

Steve

+1 on this.

If it's custom, then it should have 2 holes and fit across the bottom front of the passenger seat and utilize the front bolts on the seat frame.

I used the Shelby one with hose clamps and some foam pipe insulation around the seat adjustment handle. ( thanks for the tip and pic Randy )

Worked great, seat adjustment works with it attached, and it is completely removable if needed.

Well, got my fire extinguisher mounts and they install very easily. To make it where it uses two bolts would make it have a lot of unused space...one seems to work just fine. Mounted the chrome extinguisher in my new GT500 and put the red extinguisher in my wife's 2011 GT/CS 5.0...Seems to work better in hers since she has the power passenger seat...the bar hits on mine just a little bit, but it is not a problem...seats go past the extinguisher to allow access to the rear seats without any problem.

And Yes, I know my carpets are dirty...I live in West Texas...EVERYTHING stays dirty out here...no rain to speak of in almost 2 years now...

post-19184-0-31802900-1366834549_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-70455100-1366834556_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-31802900-1366834549_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-70455100-1366834556_thumb.jpg

Well, got my fire extinguisher mounts and they install very easily. To make it where it uses two bolts would make it have a lot of unused space...one seems to work just fine. Mounted the chrome extinguisher in my new GT500 and put the red extinguisher in my wife's 2011 GT/CS 5.0...Seems to work better in hers since she has the power passenger seat...the bar hits on mine just a little bit, but it is not a problem...seats go past the extinguisher to allow access to the rear seats without any problem.

And Yes, I know my carpets are dirty...I live in West Texas...EVERYTHING stays dirty out here...no rain to speak of in almost 2 years now...

Did the retaining tabs for the floor mats raise the plate too high or did you remove the tabs on the floor?

Did the retaining tabs for the floor mats raise the plate too high or did you remove the tabs on the floor?

No retaining tabs on the passenger side of the car in my 2007 anyway...it does sit right on the carpet though...I had to move the floor mat further toward the front...I may be able to rebend the tab just a smidge to solve that problem though...will work on it after my first road trip to Dallas this weekend.

OK, the mat retaining tabs cant be removed without tearing up the carpet, but the raised snap part of the tabs can be snipped off.

Now the mount and 1.5 lb extinguisher fit flush on the floor and the seat easily slides over it.

Jock, I just mounted mine as well. I was going to mount it with the valve in the same position as yours but noticed I couldnt reach the release clip bc it was in back, too far against the seat, esp with the seat moved foreword. You might want to check if youre able to reach and unsnap it or you may need to reverse the extinguisher. Look at the pics where the release clip is in mine and yours.

post-38126-0-39050200-1367084521_thumb.jpg

post-38126-0-77239800-1367084537_thumb.jpg

post-38126-0-39050200-1367084521_thumb.jpg

post-38126-0-77239800-1367084537_thumb.jpg

I went cheap, really cheap. I think I have about eight bucks into mine which was the cost of the steel bar stock. I already owned the factors of production- the vise, propane torch, sledge hammer, drill and drill bit. I'll likely clean it up a bit and shoot some black engine enamel on it before install on my new car.

One thing I read on another extinguisher thread, and I happen to agree with it, was this. Your extinguisher is not to put out a fire in your car. If you crash sooo hard that your car catches fire, run away! My fire extinguisher is there to assist you if needed. Yours is to assist me. If you crash so hard in your late model Mustang that it catches fire your primary goal should be to attempt to get out and away from the fire!

038_zps5ce3883e.jpg

039_zps44fc4073.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived