TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT1097 is getting a new hood

Am I correct in assuming the hood will have clearance for the supercharger?

The hood won't clear the Whipple SC unless you also get the lowered motor mounts. Here is info from SPP description about the hood.

As stated, it will fit all cars with the exception of Whipple or KB supercharged models. For THOSE, an engine lowering kit is available as an option; this gives the hood the proper clearance. This is the procedure our Production Department uses; there are no adverse effects.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update. The car was dropped off at the body shop today. Now starts the nerve racking wait to get it back. I'll admit, I was very nervous about this, I think we all fear the paint and body guy isn't going to do as good of a job as we hope.

My fears were settled a bit today. When I received the hood, I looked it over good and was very impressed with it. When I dropped it off today, we unboxed it, and he immediately expressed what a quality product this hood was. Then he said "but I already see a wavy place that I have to fix". I couldn't believe it, I had looked at that thing a hundred times and hadn't noticed the wave, and he spotted it within 30 seconds. He told me, "thats normal with fiberglass, no biggie". I knew then I had picked right. He told me he'd have it at least 2 to 3 weeks, because he wanted to take his time and make it right. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

So, the adventure continues. I've asked him to take pics as he works, so hopefully we'll all take this trip together

Gregg

Dan, Thank you for responding back. I told my paint guy to finish it in the way that Jer talked about. With the texted "rock guard" material with gloss black over it. I hope its ok with you, but I actually sent him the pics of your finished hood and told him I wanted it like yours.

Dan, Thank you for responding back. I told my paint guy to finish it in the way that Jer talked about. With the texted "rock guard" material with gloss black over it. I hope its ok with you, but I actually sent him the pics of your finished hood and told him I wanted it like yours.

No problem. That's how we made our decision to do it that way, by looking at other hoods and pictures of other people's hoods.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

My project has finally been started. I'll post pix when complete... Jer

Mine goes to the paint shop in the morning. :happy feet:

Congrats!

Well, don't count on mine being done too quickly. It's being worked on after hours, weekends, etc... and I am doing a few extra things that will add a lot of time and a bit of complexity, so I'm pretty sure I'll arrive dead last! LOL... Jer

Totally repainting front and rear fascia, fixing all rock chips, all stripes painted on (over the top and rockers), special mesh for the Deep Draw hood (the GT350/ GTS stainless instead of Terlingua "hexagon pattern"), and a 3M Clear Bra. The lead painter and I came up with a special "Jer Shelby Silver" paint formula that is a variation of the standard Ford "TL" code everyone uses to replace their vinyl. It's got changes in the flop and metallic elements that makes it more closely match the traditional Shelby GT silver stripes. It always bugged me that my scoop and stripes had different levels of metalflake content. In fact, all future Shelby GT scoops will be painted with it. It creates a bolder and more uniform "sparkle". We're burying it under a lot of clear, no "hard edges", more like the stripes are buried under Lucite.

Jer

Totally repainting front and rear fascia, fixing all rock chips, all stripes painted on (over the top and rockers), special mesh for the Deep Draw hood (the GT350/ GTS stainless instead of Terlingua "hexagon pattern"), and a 3M Clear Bra. The lead painter and I came up with a special "Jer Shelby Silver" paint formula that is a variation of the standard Ford "TL" code everyone uses to replace their vinyl. It's got changes in the flop and metallic elements that makes it more closely match the traditional Shelby GT silver stripes. It always bugged me that my scoop and stripes had different levels of metalflake content. In fact, all future Shelby GT scoops will be painted with it. It creates a bolder and more uniform "sparkle". We're burying it under a lot of clear, no "hard edges", more like the stripes are buried under Lucite.

Jer

Glad to hear you are starting on the hood and painted stripes. Only way to go.

Glad to hear you are starting on the hood and painted stripes. Only way to go.

Expensive and time-consuming... right during the season I would wanna be driving my car! Well, as I said, the customers' cars come first, so this will take a while.... this is an "after hours" project.

Jer

My stripes were painted on using ford paint code TS and and not the traditional TL. I didn't really have a choice though, they were painted on by the dealer before it was purchased. From what they told me it sat on the lot for over a year and the stripes and scoop went bad, they fixed it before it was sold. I'm kinda glad it was. It has a little more of the metalic in it and isn't so dull like the vynal. I'm hoping to be joining you guys this fall with the addition of the hood if there are any left. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished cars especially the VB's Congrats on the hood purchase fellas.

Quick update...not much going on. I called the body shop today and he's starting on fitting the hood tomorrow. I'm going to try to take an afternoon off of work later this week and drop by the shop to see how that's going. He told me today that he hopes to start laying paint next week. He's estimating another 2 weeks. Looks like I'll be in the month + club for this project.

Quick update...not much going on. I called the body shop today and he's starting on fitting the hood tomorrow. I'm going to try to take an afternoon off of work later this week and drop by the shop to see how that's going. He told me today that he hopes to start laying paint next week. He's estimating another 2 weeks. Looks like I'll be in the month + club for this project.

It will be worth it, I'm sure! Jer

Another quick update, I talked with the body shop today and they told me that, quote: "there was more fitting and testing work on the hood than we thought there would be, but we have it fitting good". My new grille and surround should be here Thursday, so I'm going to try to go up there on Friday, take the new parts and check on the progress. Hopefully I can get some pics then. Sounds like my experience is tracking with what everyone has been through. I'm getting really excited about getting it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. I went to the body shop today to get a look and they are making slow progress. I had a few imperfections on the trunk that they have primed and smoothed. The hood is in primer and looks pretty straight. It didn't look like anything had been done to the bumpers other than the stripes being stripped off. The car was wrapped in plastic and looked to be staged to go into the paint booth, so there might actually be paint applied next week. Maybe be done in a couple of weeks....I miss my car..LOL

A few pix of the progress:

Jer

Archived