TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT1097 is getting a new hood

Let me start by saying that I have the greatest fiends and family ever. Today I got an early birthday present, a copy of an order invoice for one of the Terlingua hoods and all of the goodies needed to install it, including a new hood pin kit........let's just say I'm speechless.

So, here we go. 1097 is getting a new hood and the stripes painted on. Hopefully I can get alot of pictures through this process.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me start by saying that I have the greatest fiends and family ever. Today I got an early birthday present, a copy of an order invoice for one of the Terlingua hoods and all of the goodies needed to install it, including a new hood pin kit........let's just say I'm speechless.

So, here we go. 1097 is getting a new hood and the stripes painted on. Hopefully I can get alot of pictures through this process.

Congrats!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

The hood arrived today! Yippee!!! There is no visible damage (the box was kinda beat up), and it looks really good.

HoodFront_zps4e5dca18.jpg

HoodBack_zps14bf4d3c.jpg

Looks like the lower edge of the driver's side of vent hole is cut a little wierd, but the body shop should be able to deal with that. Called them today, and I have to wait through next week before they can get it in to get started.

Let that sucker sit out in the sun for a LONG time so it can gas out before taking it to the shop. Time is your friend right now. Congratulations - you are doing the right thing to repaint the stripes on. You will not regret it if you make sure to do it right. Yes, you will have to remove the front and rear glass - prepare your budget to also replace the front windshield should it crack upon removal. See my blog for details.

Let that sucker sit out in the sun for a LONG time so it can gas out before taking it to the shop. Time is your friend right now. Congratulations - you are doing the right thing to repaint the stripes on. You will not regret it if you make sure to do it right. Yes, you will have to remove the front and rear glass - prepare your budget to also replace the front windshield should it crack upon removal. See my blog for details.

Not sure what you mean by gas out. With the amount of dust that collected on my hood, one would think its been gassing for a while at SPP.

Got my hood yesterday. I wasn't so lucky in the damage department. Both corners where the hood meets the windshield were chipped.

We're careful to note this in the Item Description in our Web store, we expect some extra effort will be required, hence the $800 discount. Chipped edges on a fiberglass hood are an easy fix, we believe the savings well justify the imperfections. Email me directly with questions or comments, of course, I'm happy to help.

Jer

Jer I'm TOTALLY happy with the hood. I can't hardly wait to get in on and get the stripes painted. This is the first fiberglass hood I've ever had, so I can't really compare the current condition to other "ready to paint" hoods. But, I'll be honest, it actually looks better than I expected when I read the description of the part. And I'm going to get get peace of mine on three major issues now..#1 - No more degrading vinyl stripes, #2 - No strange hood scoop problems, and #3 - No more rust around the hood pins.

We're careful to note this in the Item Description in our Web store, we expect some extra effort will be required, hence the $800 discount. Chipped edges on a fiberglass hood are an easy fix, we believe the savings well justify the imperfections. Email me directly with questions or comments, of course, I'm happy to help.

Jer

Thanks for offering to help Jer. I have taken pictures and sent them to Brian T. I read the complete description before ordering this hood and understand the raw state, but wasn't sure if the hood left your facility in that condition. There were other scratches and scrapes so lets see what FedEx freight says about it.

Thanks very much for this. I have never heard anything like this. I'm pretty much a fiberglass "virgin", any and all advice is much appreciated. Bad thing, we have rain forcast for all week, so I won't have any chance to sit the hood out in the sun. You've obviously had alot of experience with this type of hood, how would you handle the very rough section of the underside of the hood? I'm wondering if that section shouldn't be done with a flat black, textured paint to help hide the roughness of the fiberglass in that area.

I'm not a body guy - I just read a lot of car stuff! I have no idea - ask your painter about the underside. I would imagine if you wanted to keep it that way you could simply have him seal it and coat with the paint of your choice. Flat paint will be hard to maintain when it comes time to clean under there. I'm sure you will OK doing whatever you like, but YES - work with your painter on this to see what he's comfortable doing and able to do.

These hoods will NOT need any period of curing to "gas out". Feel free to proceed.

Jer

Thanks very much for this. I have never heard anything like this. I'm pretty much a fiberglass "virgin", any and all advice is much appreciated. Bad thing, we have rain forcast for all week, so I won't have any chance to sit the hood out in the sun. You've obviously had alot of experience with this type of hood, how would you handle the very rough section of the underside of the hood? I'm wondering if that section shouldn't be done with a flat black, textured paint to help hide the roughness of the fiberglass in that area.

We use textured "stone guard" clear paint. That's how the Terlinguas, etc... were done here. The same stuff often used for lower rocker panels. Then paint body color or black over that. I'm doing mine in black for easier upkeep.

Jer

Thanks for offering to help Jer. I have taken pictures and sent them to Brian T. I read the complete description before ordering this hood and understand the raw state, but wasn't sure if the hood left your facility in that condition. There were other scratches and scrapes so lets see what FedEx freight says about it.

We did have a few with corner chips, so I won't automatically blame FedEx. I'll get the pix from Brian on Monday, or you can send them to me if you like.

Jer

We use textured "stone guard" clear paint. That's how the Terlinguas, etc... were done here. The same stuff often used for lower rocker panels. Then paint body color or black over that. I'm doing mine in black for easier upkeep.

Jer

Thanks again Jer, just the kind of information I need. All goes well, I'll drop the car off friday for the work to start.

Jer

You're going to do one too? Thats great! I'm thinking of doing the black as well as the mesh inserts in black.

Thanks again Jer, just the kind of information I need. All goes well, I'll drop the car off friday for the work to start.

Looks like you will be getting a head start on me yoggiebhr. Don't have my appointment set yet. Cant wait to see pics of yours complete.

These hoods will NOT need any period of curing to "gas out". Feel free to proceed.

Jer

I was gonna state the same thing. Hoods have been around for a while and are not brand new out of the glass shop. That said, new glass work should be left to cure. Enjoy.

You're going to do one too? Thats great! I'm thinking of doing the black as well as the mesh inserts in black.

Yeah, it's been in my office leaning against a wall since October. Working here has not made my mods go faster, but WAY slower!

Jer

Archived