TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guitar Players Thread

Though banjo is my favorite, my guitar playing, (rhythm/etc.) improved vastly once I started playing at informal jam sessions. Only basic bass runs/etc., but now I can sing/play the guitar at the same time w/o messing up TOO much. (As always, using the phrase "I can sing/play the guitar" loosely....)

Singing with the banjo, however, I've yet to master...fingers/muscle memory causes them to 'want to play' more than they should, and it (believe it or not) distracts me!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my babies. My dad's old Favilla F-5 which has to be 40+ years old now and my 2011 Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute. I used to play it though a Marshall Class 5 with a Boss OD-3 overdrive. Big mistake for selling it in order to get a Line 6 Spider IV. If I wanted a modeling amp, I should've went older and bought a used/discontinued Johnson Millenium JM150. Saw some videos on youtube with that amp and it just sounds 10X better than the line 6. Using the presets or your own, that thing sounds the same with or without distortion.

post-22637-0-83116800-1366691704_thumb.jpg

post-22637-0-83116800-1366691704_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone play the Stairway to Heaven solo lead? I've been working on it for about 15 years and still stumble. It's probably a good indicator of ability!

At last night's jam session, a well meaning fellow player, sitting right next to me, kept singing melody along (ALMOST) WITH me, which screwd up my vocals on a couple songs. (Note that I have no trouble screwing up w/o others help)! I switched to less known songs, which means other players lose interest in playing along/taking breaks when it's 'your turn'. If I see him next time, got to make sure I'm on the OTHER side of the circle!

At last night's jam session, a well meaning fellow player, sitting right next to me, kept singing melody along (ALMOST) WITH me, which screwd up my vocals on a couple songs. (Note that I have no trouble screwing up w/o others help)! I switched to less known songs, which means other players lose interest in playing along/taking breaks when it's 'your turn'. If I see him next time, got to make sure I'm on the OTHER side of the circle!

LOL!!

I've been a picker for about 41 years now, started dinking around with it the summer before I went into high school.

Today I have a collection of 4 Guild acoustics, a Rickenbacker 360-12V64 electric 12-string (think of Geprge Harrison in Hard Day's Night), a Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman (think of the same kid on Ed Sullivan Feb. 1964) and a Gretsch 6128TSP Duo Jet (like a Les Paul, only much cooler).

All of this feeds through a Small Peavey PA set up and a Vox AC-30 amp.

000_0198.jpg

I've been a picker for about 41 years now, started dinking around with it the summer before I went into high school.

Today I have a collection of 4 Guild acoustics, a Rickenbacker 360-12V64 electric 12-string (think of Geprge Harrison in Hard Day's Night), a Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman (think of the same kid on Ed Sullivan Feb. 1964) and a Gretsch 6128TSP Duo Jet (like a Les Paul, only much cooler).

All of this feeds through a Small Peavey PA set up and a Vox AC-30 amp.

000_0198.jpg

Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda sorta used to play. Started playing in HS on into college, then stopped after my 1st yr. Haven't touched it in years but picked up the guitar the other day, only to learn it's not like riding a bike lol. I gotta start from square 1...like, it's painful how much I suck and how little I remember.

that said, back in the day I used to jam on a sunburst Gibby Les Paul, and played acoustic as well. I was adequate enough to jam with friends.

I kinda sorta used to play. Started playing in HS on into college, then stopped after my 1st yr. Haven't touched it in years but picked up the guitar the other day, only to learn it's not like riding a bike lol. I gotta start from square 1...like, it's painful how much I suck and how little I remember.

that said, back in the day I used to jam on a sunburst Gibby Les Paul, and played acoustic as well. I was adequate enough to jam with friends.

You still have the Les Paul? I have the studio model...one of my favorites.

You still have the Les Paul? I have the studio model...one of my favorites.

Yep! still got 'er tucked away somewhere. It's mint....and I mean "min"t! I had OCD back then, so it still had the had protective film on the back of it and around where the lead cord goes...not a mark on it. I used my acoustic more as the beater/jam guitar, so it was a bit more beat up

Yep! still got 'er tucked away somewhere. It's mint....and I mean "min"t! I had OCD back then, so it still had the had protective film on the back of it and around where the lead cord goes...not a mark on it. I used my acoustic more as the beater/jam guitar, so it was a bit more beat up

Wow, that's great....you need to get back to it!!

• 1 month later...

If possible, can anyone give me some pointers on a decent beginner's acoustic guitar to look for? I used to play the tenor,alto, and bari sax in HS but that was a very long time ago. I'd like to get and learn a different instrument that's a bit more mellow. Thanks

Just picked up another cool little amp.

1946 Fender Woodie # 884. Pretty original. I think these were the first Fender amps made.

photo1_zpse3d02adc.jpg

photo2_zps2acfb119.jpg

Nice!!!!!!

If possible, can anyone give me some pointers on a decent beginner's acoustic guitar to look for? I used to play the tenor,alto, and bari sax in HS but that was a very long time ago. I'd like to get and learn a different instrument that's a bit more mellow. Thanks

Well...I have an inexpensive Yamaha that I think would make for a really nice beginner's acoustic....plays easily and has good sound. It is a FX370C. Its and acoustic-electric, however, so if you prefer a straight acoustic you may find that it has a sister model. Check the Yamaha website at http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/

• 4 months later...

Picked up a 1946-ish Fender Lap steel to go along with the ’46 Woody amp. :donald_farr:

The guys in the guitar shop had a great time playing the guitar through the same amp that probably a lot of players used back in the day.

photo_zpsaf1efacc.jpg

Picked up a 1946-ish Fender Lap steel to go along with the ’46 Woody amp. :donald_farr:

The guys in the guitar shop had a great time playing the guitar through the same amp that probably a lot of players used back in the day.

photo_zpsaf1efacc.jpg

Beautiful! I don't have any vintage amps / guitars, but would sure like to....

Oh boy, have I been waiting for THIS thread!

Started playing in 1966. Gigged out 40+ times a year from 2005 thru 2011. Had 50K worth of PA plus a pretty big collection of guitars and amps.

Then one day this CAR showed up in my garage and the rest is history. Just play blues in my basement now. Occupied with another toy, don't ya know! :shift:

Here's some of the old collection:

img1453p.jpg

mosherrev2tn9.jpg

img4568k.jpg

Still have the 04 R9 Historic Burst, the Custom Shop Strat and the Dr. Z.

It ain't much but it's all GOOD! :cool:

Oh boy, have I been waiting for THIS thread!

Started playing in 1966. Gigged out 40+ times a year from 2005 thru 2011. Had 50K worth of PA plus a pretty big collection of guitars and amps.

Then one day this CAR showed up in my garage and the rest is history. Just play blues in my basement now. Occupied with another toy, don't ya know! :shift:

Here's some of the old collection:

img1453p.jpg

mosherrev2tn9.jpg

img4568k.jpg

Still have the 04 R9 Historic Burst, the Custom Shop Strat and the Dr. Z.

It ain't much but it's all GOOD! :cool:

Great stuff. I like the matching headstock on the Strat. Great color. And the LP is beautiful, too.

Jer

Here's a link to some of my guitars… I've still got all but 2 of them, and added a bunch since then, but haven't snapped pix…

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118287925373.2018736.1472254242&type=1&l=a966c5334b

Jer

Jer,

THANKS for the compliment. You have a SERIOUS collection. Lot of cool stuff.

Cars and guitars entered my life about the same time, 1964 when the Beatles showed up. Another big influence was Paul Revere and The Raiders.

Used to b a big Pontiac guy until I got smart. ;)

Jer,

THANKS for the compliment. You have a SERIOUS collection. Lot of cool stuff.

Cars and guitars entered my life about the same time, 1964 when the Beatles showed up. Another big influence was Paul Revere and The Raiders.

Used to b a big Pontiac guy until I got smart. ;)

Thanks… I've always been the same way. When I suddenly left the music biz last year to join Shelby after 26 years, people thought I was nuts. To me, it was simple: Why not be able to say you got to do BOTH THINGS in life? LOL...

Jer

I started self teaching in July. I can sort of play 6 songs now. One thing I was presented with via the internet early on is to practice the basics every day. 6 months in I am no where good enough to play for anyone, but that's OK. Here is my challenge to myself. Everything else I was ever good at in life, I started out being sort of good at from the beginning. I knew from the start years ago I had no innate ability to play a guitar. I just don't have the dexterity in my hands. One book I read talked about how you can overcome this with lots of practice. That's what I do, everyday. I have a decent set of callouses now! :) And I believe a year or so from now I will be a lot better than I am today. I am enjoying learning the guitar, and I am enjoying learning something new about myself. I have an old Ventura acoustic from the 80's that was given to me by my sister years ago, a Fender acoustic that was given to me by my neighbor, and a Cordoba C7 classical that I bought over the summer.

That's how it works!

I don't believe ANYONE has the innate ability to play guitar. There are some people with no sense of pitch or rhythm, so THEY will not become accomplished musicians, but for everyone else, it takes dedication. If you ENJOY it, the dedication comes easier!

Jer

Archived