TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guitar Players Thread

So, who on TS plays guitar? I've been self teaching myself off and on for 15 years. I'm not all that good but I enjoy it a lot.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been doing the same since 2010. Kind of phased out of it when I went off to college unfortunately, but still try to play every once in a while when I come home to visit. Performed a few shows in high school too. I really want to know how to play slide though. Something like Duane Allman or Derek Trucks when it comes to style of music.

At 53, been (sorta) playing since I was 16. (No reason to be impressed...only chords).

Now BANJO, on the other hand, is what I've been working at (off and on) more seriously in the past 18 or so years! (Took a number of lessons with Steve Martin's producer, Tony Trischka).

Well, most of you know MY story!

I like to joke with my wife that the only reason I still have a studio and a guitar collection is that I don't want spare rooms for visitors to stay with us!

Jer

Can't play well but getting better at collecting. Just picked up a 1947 Fender Dual Professional amp. I love the old electronics and of course tube amps are hard to beat.

A REAL one? Nice job, pretty rare, by any standard.

Jer

i don't play but i want to learn sooo bad! i have this urge to make music. i played trumpet and cello as a kid in grade and middle school and really enjoyed it but put it down in high school for whatever reason.

my younger brother is a really great guitar player and i've been asking him to teach me to play but between our busy schedules we just can't seem to find the time for some lessons

i don't play but i want to learn sooo bad! i have this urge to make music. i played trumpet and cello as a kid in grade and middle school and really enjoyed it but put it down in high school for whatever reason.

my younger brother is a really great guitar player and i've been asking him to teach me to play but between our busy schedules we just can't seem to find the time for some lessons

Start now if you're going to do it. The older you get the tougher it is to really play.

Start now if you're going to do it. The older you get the tougher it is to really play.

thats what my brother said. actually, he said i can't learn cause i'm too old, mind you i'm 28 and he's 22.

The great think today is that one can learn so much via internet. I learn from lessons provided free at Gibson.com, Vanderilly.com and Utube. I can actually / sorta play along to about 25+ songs now, with my ipad hooked up to a Bose SoundDock.

My favorite amp is my Vox VT40 which is tube-driven and sounds awesome. I have a nice little collection of guitars, electric & acoustic. My favorite is my PRS McCarty.

NICE fender amp & guitar up there!!

Our living room has been converted into a music room; guitars, amps and a piano.

Well I have been playing(trying) since 1981..Have 3 guitars (no collectables) I am on the internet getting free lessons all the time... The BIGGEST advancement I made was when I learned OPEN TUNING and learned how easy it is to play Keith Richards style.. When my wife is out .. the VOLUME goes way UP and it sounds not bad....LOL

Well I have been playing(trying) since 1981..Have 3 guitars (no collectables) I am on the internet getting free lessons all the time... The BIGGEST advancement I made was when I learned OPEN TUNING and learned how easy it is to play Keith Richards style.. When my wife is out .. the VOLUME goes way UP and it sounds not bad....LOL

This one just came up....going to learn it this weekend... http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House/Songs/2011/Listen-to-the-Music.aspx

Last weekend it was this...its a fun one, but will be gone on 4/21... http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House/Songs/2011/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.aspx .

Yes they look good to learn...Question.... My strumming right wrist gets very sore after 30mins of playing... Then my left shoulder gets so tired it seems to drop down and my form goes out the window... Rest is the only remedy.... Anyone else experience these painful joints????

Yes they look good to learn...Question.... My strumming right wrist gets very sore after 30mins of playing... Then my left shoulder gets so tired it seems to drop down and my form goes out the window... Rest is the only remedy.... Anyone else experience these painful joints????

Not me; I just start getting bloody fretting fingers.

Ok, I'm exaggerating just a little.

Do you have a touch of arthritis perhaps?

I probably do (65YRS OLD) .. I have also done the 5 string setup... ..Quite interesting.. My wrist is probably suffering from carpul tunnel... OH WELL .. I love it when my Wife is out...Geee I can play LOUD.....

I probably do (65YRS OLD) .. I have also done the 5 string setup... ..Quite interesting.. My wrist is probably suffering from carpul tunnel... OH WELL .. I love it when my Wife is out...Geee I can play LOUD.....

Yeah me too LOL!!!

Fender emailed me yesterday about this beauty...

http://www.fender.co...bacco-sunburst/

Fender's overseas and Mexi operations do very good work, but ya STILL need to get the US-made stuff if you want the best. Ditto for every manufacturer.

Jer

Fender's overseas and Mexi operations do very good work, but ya STILL need to get the US-made stuff if you want the best. Ditto for every manufacturer.

Jer

Totally agree Jer, that's why my Strat & Tele are both American!

ilmor .. It finally happened ..2nd bottom string went up under my index finger NAIL left it bloody and sore...OH well gives my wrist time to rest LOL

OUCH!!!! That must've been some good rock n roll.

Cool thread. I have an accoustic I bought when I was about 20 (many years ago). I have been playing with it on and off but often life gets in the way. I went about 13 years not touching it due to family and kids and then one day I was search on the Internet (which really didnt exist back when I bought my guitar) and found a wealth of info on how to play. Now I can find lessons for just about any song I want to learn. I sat out last night by my firepit for about three hours learning various CSNY songs with modal tuning. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Carry On, 4 and 20. Very cool. I love alternate tunings. I suck but I have fun with it!

Archived