TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Failure

denohew

I OWN a 2013 Gt500 with Clutch failure as well. Car has been great but last week while running it hard I was having issues hitting 3rd gear. This was very depressing because I know how to drive. Last night I went on a drive to rip ass and have fun. Drove up the freeway and turned around to come home and low and behold I was coming to a light and pulled out of 5th and no clutch!!! Damn clutch is destroyed. Im very concerned the dealer is going to hold me liable for the repairs. Has anyone out there been denied coverage? I have 1800 miles and now I need a Tow Truck!

Getting your clutch repaired under warranty is a little dicey as technically it is a wear item. That being said I think you have a real good shot at it first because of your low mileage and you don't have a "worn clutch" but a catastrophic failure. it all depends on the dealer. Of course if you're modded all bets are off. Good luck keep us posted.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread has me freaked out. I have sent the SVT links to my dealer:

(http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?879956-2013-GT500-Failed-Clutch-Thread/page15)

(http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?921936-Had-Clutch-Failure-in-your-13-Check-in-here/page2)

And have basically requested, if the clutches blows up, heads up I am coming back and will request the assistance of the dealership to help me. I am hoping by being proactive, I will get a jump on them. Any other ideas how to best prepare for this?

James

Owner of 2 x 2014 GT500's (coupe and vert)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah this happened to my 2014 GT500,warranty didnt cover it. and i think its getting fried again.I might sell it or trade it because im sick of the 1-2 grind and clutch always getting burnt. any solutions?

Yeah this happened to my 2014 GT500,warranty didnt cover it. and i think its getting fried again.I might sell it or trade it because im sick of the 1-2 grind and clutch always getting burnt. any solutions?

Mcleod or Spec P trim clutch should fix it permanently. I also hear switching the clutch improves shifts.

One other option which should prolong the life of the clutch is a steeper rear end gear such as a 3.73 or a 4.10. Stock gears are all, and its tough not to slip the clutch at all when coming from a stop. In a heavy pig of a car like we drive, a 3.73 or 4.10 would help this.

Mcleod or Spec P trim clutch should fix it permanently. I also hear switching the clutch improves shifts.

One other option which should prolong the life of the clutch is a steeper rear end gear such as a 3.73 or a 4.10. Stock gears are all, and its tough not to slip the clutch at all when coming from a stop. In a heavy pig of a car like we drive, a 3.73 or 4.10 would help this.

i really hope that an aftermarket clutch can fix the issue because im sure this is gonna get fried lol

I'm so pissed at my dealer. My clutch started slipping at 3000 miles on my 13 shelby took it in 2 weeks later they finely put new pressure plate and fly wheel at my expense. I really chewed them out for charging me $1400 and not helping me out after i bought four vehicles from them. I did trade my 2011 shelby in and never had a problem the clutch. I told them i would never buy a car from them again. If anyone from michigan here don't go to Russ Milne ford customer service is obviously not important to them.

I'm so pissed at my dealer. My clutch started slipping at 3000 miles on my 13 shelby took it in 2 weeks later they finely put new pressure plate and fly wheel at my expense. I really chewed them out for charging me $1400 and not helping me out after i bought four vehicles from them. I did trade my 2011 shelby in and never had a problem the clutch. I told them i would never buy a car from them again. If anyone from michigan here don't go to Russ Milne ford customer service is obviously not important to them.

For that money, I would have went aftermarket instead of another Ford clutch which is liable to do the same thing that your first one did. Just my .02.

Did you call Ford customer service and open a claim? The flywheel and pressure plate ARE covered under your factory warranty. The only thing not covered is the clutch lining. At the very least they should have called the regional rep to check it out. With that mileage no way you should pay for a clutch

For that money, I would have went aftermarket instead of another Ford clutch which is liable to do the same thing that your first one did. Just my .02.

+1000

McLeod has a nice set up for the 13/14 for that money.

Yes, still need t pay for labor on top of that and a few minor parts that should be replaced when doing the clutch, but well worth the money.

I would never keep the stock clutch after talking to the guys at McLeod. Was lucky to meet them at SEMA last year.

• 6 months later...

These clutches take a while to bed in properly and you have to resist the urge to WOT it when the flywheel mating surface is only touching maybe 25% at 500 miles. The comment "I know how to drive" is irrelevant, a basic 6spd manual is hardly rocket science. SVT did an amazing job of engineering the 13/14 GT500, it is light years ahead of the 2011/2012 GT500 in regards to engineering, power, features, and even looks in my opinion.

The clutch SVT selected achieved their engineering goals and really was a decent clutch back in 2011 when they were developing it, but I feel they failed at educating owners on how to break it in properly. To be fair, name a manufacturer that does. There is no mention in the manual about clutch break-in period or procedure, just the general overall vehicle to drive 500-1000mi before using it in competitive conditions. Unfortunately 1,200 freeway miles or light city driving means very little in regards to clutch break-in. And you get owners "assuming they have a green light to hit it", which is why we buy this car in the first place, and having catastrophic clutch failures. You simply cannot hold nearly 700hp against 3:31 gears with only 30% of the clutch disk surface mating up with the flywheel, regardless of how good of a driver you are.

Sure there are better clutches out there but you can just as easily destroy them if you don't understand break in procedure. McLeod does a great job of explaining how to do this, it benefits them to.

Here is an excellent video illustrating my point: http://youtu.be/9ktwHjZdniA

These clutches take a while to bed in properly and you have to resist the urge to WOT it when the flywheel mating surface is only touching maybe 25% at 500 miles. The comment "I know how to drive" is irrelevant, a basic 6spd manual is hardly rocket science. SVT did an amazing job of engineering the 13/14 GT500, it is light years ahead of the 2011/2012 GT500 in regards to engineering, power, features, and even looks in my opinion.

The clutch SVT selected achieved their engineering goals and really was a decent clutch back in 2011 when they were developing it, but I feel they failed at educating owners on how to break it in properly. To be fair, name a manufacturer that does. There is no mention in the manual about clutch break-in period or procedure, just the general overall vehicle to drive 500-1000mi before using it in competitive conditions. Unfortunately 1,200 freeway miles or light city driving means very little in regards to clutch break-in. And you get owners "assuming they have a green light to hit it", which is why we buy this car in the first place, and having catastrophic clutch failures. You simply cannot hold nearly 700hp against 3:31 gears with only 30% of the clutch disk surface mating up with the flywheel, regardless of how good of a driver you are.

Sure there are better clutches out there but you can just as easily destroy them if you don't understand break in procedure. McLeod does a great job of explaining how to do this, it benefits them to.

Here is an excellent video illustrating my point: http://youtu.be/9ktwHjZdniA

Great video ,it just makes sense

I have almost 18k miles on my 2014 and sounds like to me ur not pushing the clutch all the way in when using it or letting it all the way out. Not sure if its in the owners manual or supplimental but it clearly states some warning/ precautions/ straight up dont do's and if it happened during a downshift well u prolly did smoke the clutch from leaving it hanging partially engaged at 100 mph that will easily do it and by the time u smelled it and woke up and pued ur foot off it the damage was done. I recommend getting a dead pedal foot rest for ir left foot so it has a place to hang out while ur clutch isnt needing to be operated. Seriously doubt ford will replace the clutch its a design wear part that when abused wears or fails to save engine/transmission from really expensive cstostrophic failure

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 Shelby Gt500, even new i coud smell the clutch at times and reported it to my dealership, Jack Kain Ford in Versailles , KY. That started with around 200 miles on the car in August 2013. The car has never been abused but well used and break in was followed as stated in the manual. At 16K the clutch failed to grab in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear and slipped so bad i barely made it to 70mph on the freeway due to slipage. Jack Kain said it was covered under the original warranty and i should get my car back the third week of March 2015. I am grateful for my dealership to take care of this problem for me with no $$ out of pocket. I've had no other issues with my Shelby and love the car. Thanks for letting me share..BTW i received permission from Jack Kain Ford to place their name in ths forum. I get to see what my clutch looks like today or monday. It is 12 March 2015 at the moment. I will try to post pictures of the clutch after it is out.. thank

Archived