TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Failure

denohew

This clutch came out off my brothers '13 Shelby. He knows how to drive and the car only has 1,200 miles on it! The damn thing disintegrated ! This is his 5th Shelby so I don't think it was his fault even though I was not in the car when it happened.He also has a Super Snake. He said that he just downshifted from 5th to 4th on the highway then kaboom. Ford calls it a wear item and wants him to pay over 2 grand to fix it! I mean this clutch is fried! Anybody ever seen this on a brand new '13? I mean the damn thing shredded! Defective disk? I mean it is possible I guess? Any feedback would be appreciated! denohew

post-25955-0-57822200-1365805443_thumb.jpg

post-25955-0-57822200-1365805443_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure its toast but could this have started sometime back with improper clutch disengagement Did he notice anything previous to the complete failure? I would think Ford would replace this under warranty.

He absolutely did not notice anything except clutch burning smell right before it happened and he knows better than to ride a clutch and yes I think Ford should cover it! I know when you abuse a clutch that the smell is totally distinguishable and it lingers in the car for days kinna like a cat pissing in your car! His still smells brand new! Also I owned a Ford dealership years back and I have never seen a clutch look like that after only 1,200 miles even with a total idiot driving it! What would you do in this situation? I can't explain this! denohew

This didn't happen to his SS but a stock '13 Shelby. It baffles me? denohew

Oh this is not good. I hope this isn't going to turn out to be like the 07-09 issues. Ford had this figured out for the 2010 models. They must have changed something. Ford needs to jump all over this now instead of waiting for hundreds of people to complain.

Your brother is far from alone. This is a well-known issue with some/many 2013 (and now 2014) GT500s. The following have more details:

- http://www.svtperfor...tch-thread.html

- http://www.svtperfor...check-here.html

This is crazy that this is still going on and totally unacceptable..clutch went twice in my 07 Shelby then the tranny the 3rd time and I don't abuse my cars in any way..no way should this be happening 6 years later!!

He absolutely did not notice anything except clutch burning smell right before it happened and he knows better than to ride a clutch and yes I think Ford should cover it! I know when you abuse a clutch that the smell is totally distinguishable and it lingers in the car for days kinna like a cat pissing in your car! His still smells brand new! Also I owned a Ford dealership years back and I have never seen a clutch look like that after only 1,200 miles even with a total idiot driving it! What would you do in this situation? I can't explain this! denohew

For starters if the Ford dealer won`t replace it get a hold of a Ford dealer rep. & explain was has happened & that you want it replaced on their dime. Don`t let up on them (Ford)

Look this is not a joke! How is it possible to destroy a clutch in 1'200 miles? Does't make sense to me Ford has made these cars pretty much idiot proof! And I don't need any snide remarks because I am sure this was a faulty install or a faulty disc plate! denohew

Ha, sure you do. It is a lot easy to keep a clutch in those lower HP cars......... B)

Absolutely. However, "lower HP" is a relative term. I grew up in the muscle car era of the 60's and my bone stock 2012 has more horsepower (and better performance) than any of the cars I loved back then (for example, the 1967 427 Vette/435 HP). 550 HP is more than enough for a street car IMO. Oh, and I'll bet my clutch will last the life of the car (the way I drive it)

No clutch problems on my '12, and I don't think my car would be considered a low HP car. Good luck on your claim. Ford should fix it at no charge, but getting them to agree to, can take awhile all the time your car is not drive-able. .

As the driver and owner of the car and clutch problem in discussion, my bona fide should prove up well. I've owned my share of mustangs through the years, and currently have a 2012 Boss, 2013 Boss Laguna Seca, 2012 Shelby Super Snake, and the 2013 Shelby SVT GT500 currently in the shop for clutch failure. This much I can attest to: I'm a more than competent driver with many years of experience. The car in question went through 1,000 miles of gentle breaking -in, followed by an oil change. The car has only 1,200 miles on it.

After servicing by Ford for the oil change I began to notice on an intermittent basis a whiff of clutch burn; perhaps twice preceding the catastrophic failure.

As I drive between my home base of Victoria, Texas and Austin on a regular basis, (I know the stretch like the back of my hand), there are no surprises on the journey with regard to the path ahead. We are currently in the middle of the Eagle Ford shale trend which can load the highway with large, slow moving oil service trucks. I don't like slow when I can go fast and know what the car's acceleration will allow me to do safely but with plenty of horsepower to back up my maneuver. l accelerate to pass three slow moving service trucks, reaching 100 mph more or less in 5th gear as I clear the last truck. I brake down to 90 mph, and the shift down to 4th gear for additional breaking simultaneously giving the car gas in order to smooth out the ride. When I released the clutch, well I had no clutch. No power to the drivetrain at all. Now the acrid smoke of the clutch comes billowing out from underneath the hood.

So I'll let you folks be the judge. Driver error or defective part?

As the driver and owner of the car and clutch problem in discussion, my bona fide should prove up well. I've owned my share of mustangs through the years, and currently have a 2012 Boss, 2013 Boss Laguna Seca, 2012 Shelby Super Snake, and the 2013 Shelby SVT GT500 currently in the shop for clutch failure. This much I can attest to: I'm a more than competent driver with many years of experience. The car in question went through 1,000 miles of gentle breaking -in, followed by an oil change. The car has only 1,200 miles on it.

After servicing by Ford for the oil change I began to notice on an intermittent basis a whiff of clutch burn; perhaps twice preceding the catastrophic failure.

As I drive between my home base of Victoria, Texas and Austin on a regular basis, (I know the stretch like the back of my hand), there are no surprises on the journey with regard to the path ahead. We are currently in the middle of the Eagle Ford shale trend which can load the highway with large, slow moving oil service trucks. I don't like slow when I can go fast and know what the car's acceleration will allow me to do safely but with plenty of horsepower to back up my maneuver. l accelerate to pass three slow moving service trucks, reaching 100 mph more or less in 5th gear as I clear the last truck. I brake down to 90 mph, and the shift down to 4th gear for additional breaking simultaneously giving the car gas in order to smooth out the ride. When I released the clutch, well I had no clutch. No power to the drivetrain at all. Now the acrid smoke of the clutch comes billowing out from underneath the hood.

So I'll let you folks be the judge. Driver error or defective part?

You have a nice stable of great cars. Wish I had that kind of money. I vote defective part. As I said, makes me glad I have a 2012.

Ford should cover this issue, no questions asked... Some have said Ford had a run of "bad clutches"... Hmm... The guys that had their problems fixed say the newly installed clutch was much better. Slide on over to SVT as there are several threads on the same issue. Was the car left at the dealer for the Oil change, if yes how many miles we're added for "test drives"..... Just a thought. Great fleet of cars, hope Ford does the right thing for you...

My clutch went on my 2013 GT500 (build date June 2012) at about the same mileage. Ford took a long time to determine that there were faulty components in the clutch assembly. I never did get the full explanation as to why the clutch failed. Basically, I had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to pull a new clutch out of a GT500 they had on the lot.

Geeee Seems like the dealer just replaced your problem with possibly the same problem by not finding out what happened to your clutch... Taking a clutch out of the newer Shelby on the lot and put it into yours may well as given you the same problem all over again.....

My clutch went on my 2013 GT500 (build date June 2012) at about the same mileage. Ford took a long time to determine that there were faulty components in the clutch assembly. I never did get the full explanation as to why the clutch failed. Basically, I had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to pull a new clutch out of a GT500 they had on the lot.

I sure as Hell would not want the Shelby on the lot they took the clutch out of for you. Some unsuspecting buyer will probably get the car and won't realize it has already been ripped apart by the service department. The last thing I would ever want is a $65K Shelby that has been used as a parts car. if any dealer ever sold me a car like that without full disclosure you can bet there would be a law suit. Unbelievable!

Sorry to hear of your failure. If you read the posts on SVTP it may help you in your fight to get it warrantied. Some members got a compromise from the dealer paying half/half. Since it is a wear item you will have to get the zone rep involved via customer service. Good luck in your fight. This should be paid by Ford, but it's hit or miss with this issue.

• My 2013 has about 3500 road track miles except the first 1000 for break in. At the track I aggresive shift from third to fourth and back down ot third in the turns. No problems as of yet. I would guess it was a faulty part during assembly. good luck with getting Ford to replace it at no cost. They should.

Archived