TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supersnake 2011 or Shelby 2013 ?

lemarin

Like the title says, I currently own a 2011 Shelby Vert, and I'm wondering, for about the same amount (+/- 35000$ Can), am I better to simply upgrade my 2011 vert to SuperSnake, or enjoy the newer technology (5.8 liter, carbon fiber driving shaft, etc etc) of the 2013 stock, GT500 ?

I don't have a lot of experience with the Shelby's, in fact I don't even have mine yet, it's still roughly 2-4 weeks away from arriving at the dealer, but if I were in your position and already owned beautiful Shelby & had the money to upgrade it to the Super Snake, thats the route I would take. The upgrade will make it just as powerful as the new one, give it a very appealing body upgrade and make it more rare as well. When the 2014 model year is over there will probably be roughly 5000 GT500's made, but in your case there will probably only be a couple hundred 2011 GT500's that were upgraded to Super Snake status. Just my $0.02

Al

For the horsepower wise, I know the Supersnake is definitely superior, but horsepower is not everything. The 2013-2014 GT500 has few improvement that even a Supersnake don't have, like the carbon fiber driving shaft. Braking wise, the updated 2013-2014 Brembo brake kit must be quite similar to the Supersnake, juste like the upgrade cooling system.

For the track, I belive the Supersnake is superior but I'm not tracking my vert....

I would go with the 2013, as you said it has some newer technology and a bigger engine, you can super snake the 13 down the road if you want but it seems like the 5.8 engine may not be an option for the 15 mustang

Like the title says, I currently own a 2011 Shelby Vert, and I'm wondering, for about the same amount (+/- 35000$ Can), am I better to simply upgrade my 2011 vert to SuperSnake, or enjoy the newer technology (5.8 liter, carbon fiber driving shaft, etc etc) of the 2013 stock, GT500 ?

I would SS the 2011 and you can add the CF drive shaft..the 2011 has better looking rear lights and exhaust exits JMO.

The 13 has the advantage of a warranty. Except for that the cars would be very similar. I'd go for the 13 , as you can probably get it for much less than the cost of a SS.

I was thinking to sell my '11 for about 45k$ Can, the '13 or '14 vert fully equipped is about 85k$ can including tax, so roughly 40k$ to spend.....

It's quite close to the SS upgrade, 800 hp, front+rear brake upgrade, bigger cooler, interior upgrade and kicker sound.

My main problem by selling my '11, is that I had an accident 2 years ago so there's been few body parts changed/painted, including the windshield. So I think that it might have affect the reselling value....and I might be loosing too much.

I was thinking to sell my '11 for about 45k$ Can, the '13 or '14 vert fully equipped is about 85k$ can including tax, so roughly 40k$ to spend.....

It's quite close to the SS upgrade, 800 hp, front+rear brake upgrade, bigger cooler, interior upgrade and kicker sound.

My main problem by selling my '11, is that I had an accident 2 years ago so there's been few body parts changed/painted, including the windshield. So I think that it might have affect the reselling value....and I might be loosing too much.

I'm sorry I'm not up with Canadian exchange rates. So a 13 is $85k? What would that be in US currency? Either way I'm surprised a 13 is $40k out of pocket after your trade. I think I paid $22k plus my 2010.

I'm sorry I'm not up with Canadian exchange rates. So a 13 is $85k? What would that be in US currency? Either way I'm surprised a 13 is $40k out of pocket after your trade. I think I paid $22k plus my 2010.

I can pick up a 2013 GT500 in Halifax NS for $ 65k and change NEW... our dollar is pretty much on par with the US dollar right now something like 98 cents US for a Canadian dollar.

Currency is not the real issue here. Althought Canadian dollar has been trading roughly at par with the US dollar for several years now, for the most part car companies have not yet fully adjusted their pricing strategy. Using the same currency, most cars are currently cheaper in the US vs Canada, although the gap is less that a few years ago. On higher end models, the difference can still be quite significant. I recently saw a few 2014 GT500 coupes at a local dealer that sticker for around $68 before taxes. Fully loaded verts, including taxes, are indeed $85K in Quebec.

Back to the original question, I would go with the SS package vs the 2013-2014 GT500, although there is no bad choice here. Both cars will perform great but the SS will be more exclusive and also better looking in my opinion.

I can pick up a 2013 GT500 in Halifax NS for $ 65k and change NEW... our dollar is pretty much on par with the US dollar right now something like 98 cents US for a Canadian dollar.

does that price include the tax because I agree with lemarin, my new '14 should be in next week & it came to a little over $84k with tax in, car is fully loaded vert except shaker pro because I figured I can get a much better quality after market sub for that same $1k that Ford is charging

The 13 has the advantage of a warranty. Except for that the cars would be very similar. I'd go for the 13 , as you can probably get it for much less than the cost of a SS.

Ditto. And you wouldn't be stuck with the ugly (new style) Super Snake wheels.

The '13 has more to it than just the warranty. The electronics on it are worth the choice alone. Then add the dual-mode Bilstiens (on the PP+) and you're already better than a SS.

Remember, the '13 SS doesn't include the blower any more, unless you pay a MAJOR premium for it. It's basically just a cosmetic package now (if you have the PP or TP).

Phill

First off the 13 is the last one Carroll had anything to do with (he was there for track testing at sebring) that alone is reason to buy the 13.

Now my 2 cents on the SS package and I will :hide: before I start. I have watched the SSs dive and role into corners under hard braking at Las Vegas Speedway. I have seen my friends SSs upgraded with proper suspension parts so they can track their cars. I have heard horror stories of missing and mismatched bolts used on the SSs. So at the end of the day either way you go you are going to be looking at mods for the cars to make them properly balanced.

Now the 13 from my limited experience 600 miles of driving or so. The brakes are the week point in the 13 they will fade, the equipment group 812A; shocks and struts are cool, the rest of the suspension package will get changed out (the ass of the car wiggles like a street walker on a Saturday night), the supercharger wine can barley be heard, Nav system is cool, warranty (do you really want a Ford tech touching my car "NOT IN MY TOWN").

My 07 did not get the SS package but I am very happy with it and I have been told it handles better than a stock SS. My 13 will not get the SS package either but will end up heavily modified.

My vote is for the 13

Use the "build" tool on Ford's candian website, for a 2013 GT500 convertible, and add all available options and you'll end up at about 85k$ including sales tax (quebec is about 15%). For sure a base coupe GT500 is much cheaper.

Supersnake - then it becomes a true, numbered & registered rare Shelby that has been finished by Shelby Autos in Vegas.

In fact, I's assuming that the US / Can dollars to be near equivalent.....

Also, I'm not counting the money spent, just to achieve my GT500 to Vegas, back and forth. It's a 4400 km trip, so I'll never drive my "baby" for such a long trip (and add near 10k km on the odo). Instead, I'd like to rent a pickup truck with a trailer, to bring myself the Shelby to vegas, or maybe a railway arrangement.

If you already have an accident with your '11 and decide to do the SS mod, the value will be forever affected. The accident will always reflect on the value of the car. After seeing that you mention the accident, I'd really recommend that you go with a '13 and don't look back.

does that price include the tax because I agree with lemarin, my new '14 should be in next week & it came to a little over $84k with tax in, car is fully loaded vert except shaker pro because I figured I can get a much better quality after market sub for that same $1k that Ford is charging

$65k is without tax.

Use the "build" tool on Ford's candian website, for a 2013 GT500 convertible, and add all available options and you'll end up at about 85k$ including sales tax (quebec is about 15%). For sure a base coupe GT500 is much cheaper.

You're right on the vert price...wasn't thinking you posted you had a vert I was talking about a coup.

The Super Snake gets TONS of attention at shows and events.........even driving down the road you get thumbs up and pics taken.

The SS experience is worth the price of admission. Give the 2011 to SA and get the SS package.

Also, I'm not counting the money spent, just to achieve my GT500 to Vegas, back and forth. It's a 4400 km trip, so I'll never drive my "baby" for such a long trip (and add near 10k km on the odo). Instead, I'd like to rent a pickup truck with a trailer, to bring myself the Shelby to vegas, or maybe a railway arrangement.

Isn't Sean Hyland Motorsports in Canada still a Shelby Mod Shop, that can convert a GT500 into a GT500 Super Snake???

Phill

Isn't Sean Hyland Motorsports in Canada still a Shelby Mod Shop, that can convert a GT500 into a GT500 Super Snake???

Phill

First time I hear about it ! Less prestigious than Vegas, but only 900 km from here, so a way much closer. Does the quality the same ?

First time I hear about it ! Less prestigious than Vegas, but only 900 km from here, so a way much closer. Does the quality the same ?

Same parts, shipped from Shelby LV to SHM and installed by SHM so unless the labor is just pure shit, the 'quality' would be equal or better.

Either way, it's a Super Snake with a registered CSM No. from Shelby American.

Phill

Can't see where you'd go wrong using Sean Hyland he's a great race care builder and has been moding Mustangs for years now.

My accident was only touching the body. I hit a road bike, and made for about 6k$ of damage. They changed the front left fender, repair de front bumper, changed the hood, fixed the driver's door, changed the windshield, and changed the front left wheel.

I've been waiting 2 months for the hood as it was b/o. Otherwise, no mechanic was touched what so ever !

My accident was only touching the body. I hit a road bike, and made for about 6k$ of damage. They changed the front left fender, repair de front bumper, changed the hood, fixed the driver's door, changed the windshield, and changed the front left wheel.

I've been waiting 2 months for the hood as it was b/o. Otherwise, no mechanic was touched what so ever !

SS it!

Archived