TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT350 Build Numbers

No number crunching has taken place for the 2012 GT350 build as that program is still open. Only when a build program is closed and the last car built, can the registry then step in, perform a build audit and start the number crunching process.

Now before you ask, so far no date has been announced by the sales department on when the 2012 GT350 program will close. So for now we just have to be pateint.

Steve

• 11 months later...

Getting close ?

:hysterical2: Don’t count on it. Sorry to be sarcastic but these numbers just seem to take forever to come out. It’s all on computers right? The “number crunching” should take a few milliseconds...

• 4 weeks later...

It would seem to me, since the orders for all GT350s closed Dec. 31, 2013, they know precisely how many of all years will be built, unless a few renege on the deal. Not sure why they can't figure that out, a quick look at the order books and completed cars would give them the answer, why is that hard?

I think they are trying to make some changes with their new management team, but it still in my opinion takes way to long to get a car in and out of the facility at Las Vegas. I think the low order numbers are directly related to many folks just don't want to wait 6-9 months for a car build. I don't know why the numbers are so low. Don't anyone start jumping up and down on these comments as they are not made in a malicious manner. I've been to the new facility and they are set up on work bays, it would appear to me an assembly line of some sort might would help move things along. With that said we all love our Shelby Mustangs. I wish the company would be more candid on the number of vehicles built and their stats. I will stop here as I am covering old ground. Jer is certainly keeping us all informed to the extent he can. I was talking to my good buddy Dave (Zackman) at the Texarkana Show and Shine today. We decided he never sleeps or has a life as he is always on the forum. For us that is a good thing and we appreciate his hard work.

Regards...GG

I agree with your post except the layout of the assembly bays was probably preset after review of the former factory layout. Each bay is doing a different type of vehicle with a variety of options. Super Snakes, GT350, Shelby Raptor and Focus ST, Shelby 1000, etc. as they come in. Previous production delays were more often due to delay in getting sufficient parts from suppliers or receiving parts which were not up to standard and had to be sent back. The shop does not seem to keep a lot of parts on hand and orders the selected items for each vehicle at the time that it is accepted to be sent to the shop.

As to production numbers, I could not agree more. Many owners and sellers of these cars want the numbers disclosed. The various models have always been marketed as being of limited production to sustain their value. Anyone still waiting for completion of a 2012 GT350 would be going bonkers. I have to believe all have been done, numbers assigned and production has moved on to the later models. There should be a final tally that is immediately known and can be released. Like the factory spokespeople have repeatedly said, these are limited in number. So what is that number.

Also, I am not trying to be a pain in the ass, but it seems a reasonable and simple record keeping request. And as far as other models, there is no reason once cars are finished to release tabulations on numbers that are currently completed of type of Shelby American upgrade. How many 1000, Raptors, Focus, SS, so far?

They need to be careful about hiring unqualified/inexperienced shop hands in an attempt to move cars through quicker. Hasty completion, poor fit and finish and/or an attention to detail are still important criteria to Shelby owners/buyers (spending large sums of money). Spinning a lack of overall quality as "The performance upgrades are the main priority" will lead to, and has led to demise of many top American companies. Appearance and detail are the first thing of focus to the eye. If any one thing is compromised it can and will raise questions about the overall quality of all upgrades including the "Main priority" the mechanical. This not meant as an attack on SAI nor is it an accusation of any sort. I personally own many very successful companies which have been built on the relentless pursuit of customer satisfaction, and customer care. Running a business with integrity and doing what is right always pays future dividends and builds long lasting relationships which in turn help a company endure bad economic times. Hope Shelby management is listening.

I didn't mind the 10 month process to get my 2011 finished and delivered once SA was honest with the time frame. Repeated initial responses were for a four to five month lead time based on the options list. It was odd getting a call from the staff asking me how I led my GT350 two months before I received it! Ooops!

As far as the crew, since they are doing these cars on a hand built but repeated process, if the same staff can be retained, the completion process and quality should be top notch as would be expected any business. I guess holding the advance deposits for som long always causes repeated phone calls and emails for status reports. But I have to hear any disappointment once the car is received and driven!

• 2 weeks later...

cmcmotorworks got me spun up -

Poor fit and finish .....

What about something that is blatantly obvious - like painting "SHELBY" or "GT350" or "Super Snake" way off vertical center on heat exchangers. And I mean vertically centered in the air inlet. Take a look at pictures all over the web. This kind of inattention to detail has me wondering 1. how any car buyer would accept a car like that 2. How it is that Shelby would let something like that out the door more than once.

In fact, one photo of three GT350s side-by-side in a widely distributed marketing photo (2012 Mustang Monthly) illustrates this and BEGS even the untrained eye to go "Wtf ?" .... never mind the guy who just shelled out 27k. You can't even read all the text squatting, let alone standing up. And that's just one example of many floating around on the .www.

Makes me wonder about the smaller details. If they can't get that right - what else is up ??

Hijack ....

• 4 weeks later...

True. The quality is subpar. I have number 83 for 2012. It's blue vert with an automatic trans. I ordered car with polished kb supercharger. This was installed at Shelby's speed shop. The tail pipes were crooked. I ordered a Wyatt's suspension upgrade as well . I get the car delivered and open the hood to see a black kb charger instead of the chrome one I ordered. I felt so flush and wanted to vomit. I was in constant contact with Shelby during the whole process. I never was told they installed black. I verified my invoice and prices all were for chrome/polished. I had my family around me at delivery so I didn't want to pout in front of them. I take the car for the first time and notice the speedo is way off. I get underneath the car and noticed that the car had a 3.42 gear. This is for a manual trans car. Autos are 3.18. What upsets me is the speed shop dyno'd this car with the wrong gear entered into it parameters . I had to call shelby and inform them that this all existed. They had to reflash the car with me over the phone. I had to ask for a refund for a black charger. I was told the chrome ones were turning purple. I don't trust them. Who got my rear end? With a taller gear auto trans and a kb charger this car launches hard. But the lack of attention to delivery parts installed dyno testing and no communication to me about the concerns of the charger I would say there to busy and quality is second or third.

True. The quality is subpar. I have number 83 for 2012. It's blue vert with an automatic trans. I ordered car with polished kb supercharger. This was installed at Shelby's speed shop. The tail pipes were crooked. I ordered a Wyatt's suspension upgrade as well . I get the car delivered and open the hood to see a black kb charger instead of the chrome one I ordered. I felt so flush and wanted to vomit. I was in constant contact with Shelby during the whole process. I never was told they installed black. I verified my invoice and prices all were for chrome/polished. I had my family around me at delivery so I didn't want to pout in front of them. I take the car for the first time and notice the speedo is way off. I get underneath the car and noticed that the car had a 3.42 gear. This is for a manual trans car. Autos are 3.18. What upsets me is the speed shop dyno'd this car with the wrong gear entered into it parameters . I had to call shelby and inform them that this all existed. They had to reflash the car with me over the phone. I had to ask for a refund for a black charger. I was told the chrome ones were turning purple. I don't trust them. Who got my rear end? With a taller gear auto trans and a kb charger this car launches hard. But the lack of attention to delivery parts installed dyno testing and no communication to me about the concerns of the charger I would say there to busy and quality is second or third.

I have a 2012 with polished supercharger. It hasn't turned purple yet. That sounds like a far fetched excuse, like something out of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Now that I think about it I kind of got that same feeling when I was there picking up my car.

Quality control or lack of, I had the same problem with my exhaust tips being uneven, was told to take it to an exhaust place to get them welded.

Mu fascia covering the front of the hood system (where the hood rod is located) is loose.

My wheels deteriorated, and was told warranty would not cover it.

Still like the car a lot, but the quality control is lacking., and I also agree, when we are into month 5 of 2014 why there are not production numbers for the 2012.

Archived