TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua for sale

richard m.switzer

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that kinda kills resale value unless it is a Ford GT...

I would be very interested at that price if it wasnt a salvage...but a little lower, and I might be interested anyway.

I was thinking the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Matt and asked him if the price was firm. I'll let you know what he says!

I will say that according to him the car was totaled because the insurance company considers it a regular V6 Mustang instead of a "real" Shelby - not that that negates the car having a salvage title but it gives a better indication of the probability of a less severe wreck.

I contacted Matt and asked him if the price was firm. I'll let you know what he says!

I will say that according to him the car was totaled because the insurance company considers it a regular V6 Mustang instead of a "real" Shelby - not that that negates the car having a salvage title but it gives a better indication of the probability of a less severe wreck.

That makes sense but he certainly made a huge mistake on that one. He should have fought with the ins company to not let that happen. Probably a $30K mistake. Sure the car is probably perfect with no issues, but that black spot on the title will ruin it's value as a collector to an extent, which it obviously already has. It will probably be a great car for somebody at a good value.

42 Terlingua's built. Have seen this car in person. POORLY REPAIRED. I agree, Jeff, owner should have fought this one with insurance, it has now been very poorly repaired and isn't going to sell for anywhere close. It has been listed MANY times before!!! I say $25K, not a penny more. It will need to be re-done, all over again to re-so the garbage work done on it...

Alex

I'm also curious with a salvage title, does that limit what kind/amount of auto insurance coverage you can get for it?

That could make it very risky to drive, if you can only get liability coverage and not collision/theft..etc.

Anyone have experience with getting insurance for a vehicle with a salvage title?

I'm also curious with a salvage title, does that limit what kind/amount of auto insurance coverage you can get for it?

That could make it very risky to drive, if you can only get liability coverage and not collision/theft..etc.

Anyone have experience with getting insurance for a vehicle with a salvage title?

Wow, that's something I never thought about. I bet you're onto something not being able to get full coverage.

Off topic at little, but that Shelby signature on the dash just shouts "fake" to me. I'm probably wrong, but it looks odd.

Yup, understand the original value of this vehicle David, but if a salvage title limits insurance coverage, then

a new owner has to assume a higher financial risk. That's why I was wondering any about potential issues with a salvage title.

So if it is damaged or stolen, the new owner appears not to have any protection for their investment.

Hope somebody from the insurance world sees this thread and comments. What happens to "totaled" first gen Shelby's?

This is something I hadn't thought about until this thread. At one time, thought about buying back my totaled Saleen, but never thought

about issues with insurance.

All, not to be argumentative but Carroll was photographed signing and handing over the keys to this car when it was given out as a CSCF raffle prize. David

good point David.....BUT....

what if the airbags went off in the accident that led to the salvage title......then that signature would have been toast.......AND........:lurk:

good point David.....BUT....

what if the airbags went off in the accident that led to the salvage title......then that signature would have been toast.......AND........ :lurk:

Michael, you do make a good point. David

Hi Guys,

I've been missing in action for awhile. First, he had it insured as a Mustang, I guarantee it as the guy at the men's warehouse likes to say, hence the problem with fighting with them for 6 months and them not budging or, in the alternative, he got agreed value, which should have been $60,00 plus and everything else is gravy, which means he bought it at salvage value of an 08 Mustang and is trying to turn a profit after a less than stellar rebuild. The lesson here is you have to have these cars insured for agreed value or you are screwed if they get wrecked. That includes all post title cars, 40th's SS, GT350, Terlingua's etc. There is a saying, penny wise and pound foolish. He saved a few bucks with the insurance, but it didn't cover the loss.

Next, you can get insurance on a salvaged vehicle depends on how deep your pockets are. You can insure just about anything.

Next, the salvaged title will kill the resale value of this car in the short term, that would be the next 30 years or so. Because this car has some history and if it can be proved up that the Shelby signature is authentic, it will have some collector value, but very limited. I'm with David on 25 grand being tops in today's market and no appreciation for the new owner, just additional expenses to get it right. Needs to go to a collector that has no intention of selling. With all that said, they only made 42 of these cars. Some day someone will want to get their hands on one. It only takes one buyer.

Finally, David, how is the car listed in the registry? I guess a case could be made that since it is legally dead, it should be out with the description that it now carries a salvaged title but the vin number and the CRT number are accounted for in the registry. One of the benefits of the registry is to provide valuable information to future buyers on the history of the car.

Hi Don, Registry records events that happen to vehicles such as salvage titles so yes this is recorded. As you note, this car still has a unique history. The 42 number earlier in this thread is approximate. 38 including the concept, prototypes etc of this model I can personally account for. There are two more possibles I am trying still to verify, possibles as in might be known cars, might not. I do not have enough info on these two yet to say. The exact # will be released by registry as possible. My numbers are unofficial, but I track this model as close as I can. My best and see you in Terlingua in October! David

• 2 years later...

I would ALWAYS advise "modification insurance" if your insurance provider doesn't provide it it's time to switch. Think of it as covering your ass insurance you name the amount you want to insure your car above "market value" and they determine your premium accordingly. A salvage shouldn't hinder that given that a "salvaged" car has to be repaired then inspected and signed off by the state patrol to be legal (this prevented me from buying a salvaged car before but if this seller has got this car legal already no problem) so of its registered and street legal it can be insured and you can add the modification insurance. for a Shelby owner I'm pretty young and I have my SGT/SC insured for 65k just in case and my rates aren't that bad, certainly cheaper and less headache then dealing with issues later. This can also be useful if you were to finance an older car that you can't get GAP on. Knowledge is power!

Think how many muscle cars today are restored wrecks,salvages, barn finds ect. Because they only made hundreds or thousands! These cars started with less then 40 so if your comfortable with a particular price this car will still be rare and awesome besides would you prefer this beautiful machine went to a crusher or was parted out? If you want the car for yourself then get it and in 20-30 years worry about whether your trying to sell at the same time as a non-salvaged bunny. Bottom line Carroll said his cars were built to be driven. buying modern cars for investment is stupid. Old cars are collectible because they were just considered cars people didn't buy them to shrink wrap them and put them in a climate controlled garage surrounded by 20 virgins, they bought them drove them wrecked them abanded and in some cases discarded them and now you have survivors not garage queens that 100 other people have. (Or 100,000 other people if you have a 500)

Archived