TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Worth it?

theace

Thanks to a girl running a red light, my 2011 Mustang V6 is totaled.

I have been looking at a 2013 GT/CS 5.0 fully loaded brand new for 39K, it is what I really want....but I don't know if it will be the best financial choice.

I am only 18, with my one time funds each year for 3 years I could pay off the car easily within 2 years, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that an older S197 GT would be a better choice to make smaller payments and have money left over.

So, with that I found a SGT here on eBay that is located in my state, I just want to know if these things are worth buying.

It is priced at 22,888 with 37K miles, 5 speed transmission and Shaker 1000.

I am only 18, so even though I want a BEAST 5.0 with 400+ horsepower I think it would be safer to get a slightly less powerful car at my age.

Is a SGT worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CMS-Signed-Shelby-Premium-GT-Shaker1000-Lthr-4-6L-24V-Carfax-Cert-WOW-/171012320537?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27d120ed19#ht_10246wt_1165

The Shelby GT is definitely "worth it" assuming it is in acceptable condition, in my opinion.

I have a 2013 5.0 and a 2007 Shelby GT, and love both cars. They are very different, however. You really need to test drive examples of each to know what I mean. The Shelby GT is more like a quick, nimble and harsh race car compared to the much more cushy 5.0. The Shelby GT, to me, is more fun to drive, while the 5.0 is very nice to drive and better for commuting,etc., having all the bells & whistles and creature-comforts. The 5.0 is more powerful, however the 4.6 is no slouch and either one can get you equally into trouble!

As for what is better for you financially, only you can decide...but the father mentality in me tells me that you should not be sinking $40k into a car at 18 years of age!!!

Having said all that, I probably haven't helped you a dang bit LOL!!!

It would be a great choice, and for that price it's a good deal. I bought mine brand new when I was 16, even learned how to drive a manual with it. I also bought a V6 to start out with, saw my SGT sitting on a dealer lot and never looked back with no regrets. If you want to stay away from the power to begin with and then add it later you'll have a great base to start from.

It would be a great choice, and for that price it's a good deal. I bought mine brand new when I was 16, even learned how to drive a manual with it. I also bought a V6 to start out with, saw my SGT sitting on a dealer lot and never looked back with no regrets. If you want to stay away from the power to begin with and then add it later you'll have a great base to start from.

Good story and good points.

I would do the SGT but like Doug said, I'm a little biased. To be honest, you could probably talk the dealer down, it's an 07 with 37k miles on it. Personnaly I'd offer them 20,000 and see what what they say.

You'll like the SGT better. Test drive them both and see what you think! You'll be surprised how the SGT feels as far as power and handling goes. I see lot's of SGT for sale in texas though so you should look around if that's what your interested in.

The SGT is a great car; it's fun to track and will always be of significance as a pre-title Shelby. Althought the price is fair, try offering a lower amount if that makes your decision easier.

If you are willing to spend $39k, buy a BOSS 302; it's likely the best bang for the buck.

FYI, that ebay car is one of the 202 NorCal edition SGT's produced for the 2007 model year.

Steve

This along with what others have said and historicaly speaking, lots of these "used car" dealers don't know what they have! I mean hell the new car dealers didn't know what they were selling! As MyBlue stated see if you can talk him down... use the Kelly blue book as your basis... they don't have a section for Shelby GT's just Mustang GT's. You could talk him into making a mistake that you could benefit from.

Good Luck.

I would go for the Shelby GT. I liked my wife's so much I bought one for myself , supercharged of course. I looked at a couple of GT500's at that dealership last fall and the guy I dealt with was pretty sharp.

Also all the cars were spotless and it's not like a normal dealership. It is located in a business park and all the cars are stored inside a warehouse.

Mark

I faced a similar choice a few months back. It's never easy.

Driving either of your options is like driving a loaded gun. You'd be able to exceed all rational performance limits in either of them. If you can manage your impulses in either, you'll be OK, so that should not be the determining factor.

If the Shelby is in reasonably good condition, you'll eventually be happiest with that one. The idea that you'd have some money left over is sort of a dream: No Shelby goes unmodded, and no used car is without additional costs. Be ready for those considerations.

The 2013 GT/CS is a very good car, but that, too, will "require" modifications. Last I knew it isn't available with the Brembo option, which is a necessity in a 420 HP car. Two grand for the brakes and something more for wheels that will fit. Be ready for that, too.

In any case, It's good that you ask questions and will be prepared whichever choice you make.

For a young man, the Shelby provides more of an individualistic identification. The GT 5.0 will give more trouble-free driving if you don't mind not being the center of attention.

My old bones appreciate the creature comforts and my rational mind likes the going and stopping power of the 5.0 Brembo.

Good luck. Drive safe.

Edit: I neglected to ask: are you actually in Australia? Does that make a difference? Shipping will be significant!

Im 17 and have a Shelby Gt. I love the car more than anything else in the whole world. I learned how to drive a stick in this. BUYING THE SGT WILL BE A DECISION THAT YOU WILL NEVER REGRET, AND IS A GREAT INVESTMENT OF BOTH FUN AND MONEY.

CSSHELBYKID

I had the choice of a 2011 GT or a used SGT 2 years ago. There wasn't any thought that went into it. I don't want a Mustang that everyone and their brother has (that's why my first Mustang was a Cobra), combine that with the fact that I've been obsessed with Shelby's for as long as I can remember.

Have you checked out insurance cost on a V/8 mustang with 400+ hp @ your age ? That might be a deal breaker.

I put mine on my parent's insurance and give them the money when it's payment time. All the law requires is that your name is on a car, so we put it on the one that had a lower cost with my age. I'm the primary on a '97 F-150 and my mom is primary on the SGT. Works out cheaper all around.

FWIW I paid $28k for mine 1.5 years ago with 5k miles. Since then it has the $14K GT/SC upgrade. $2k worth of wheels and tires to fit the $3K six piston Shelby Extreme front brakes. So I have $47K sitting there. I would hope to get over $40k as it sits. Or I would take the wheels, tires and brakes off of it. It now has 9500 miles.

gtscpic3.jpg

lol I got quoted around 1600 a month from allstate for liability....per month (On a 2013 5.0)

My parents have a sweet deal with our company, so it isnt a worry.

This 2007 should be much cheaper.

I see you have a switch engine in your picture. Do you work for the railroad?

I see you have a switch engine in your picture. Do you work for the railroad?

Not yet, I used to volunteer for one though. 14 years or so, railroading is my passion.

Why do you ask?

BTW Friends, I have decided on the SGT. Im buying it.

I just found out that I have new car replacement on my policy with Allstate....so I don't have to worry about getting the full value of my car....they owe me 28K plus mods.....hehehehe. :) Looks like I will be putting 10-12K down payment and paying that note off within a year!

Archived