TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear gears for road course

TurboGT

Getting ready to make the jump to road course racing with my 08 GT500 coupe. A complete suspension makeover is in the works & while the car is down I figure would be a good time to get rid of the loooong legged stock 3.31 gears. My local club course is relatively short and tight - 1.8 miles, 18 turns and .5 mile straight so I'd like the car to be quicker out of the turns than it currently is.

What would you recommend for a course like this? Consider that the car will not be a "dedicated" track car, but will be driven to & from events & occasionally driven some distance to out of town events - I'm thinking 3.73's might be a good compromise.

What do you think?

3.73:1 or 3.90:1 and a torsen differential to make it right for street/track . JMO

Why would you choose 3:37:1 over 4:10:1? I was getting ready to put a 4:10:1 for tack/street use for the same reason of getting off the corners a little quicker.

N/A = 4.10:1

Supercharged = 3.73:1 or 3.55:1

Jer

I have 373s in the Shelby Vert and I replaced the 355s in the Roush Black Jack with 373s and I believe they are perfect for the track and the street. I am running well with the Big Boys in the straights and the corners are more my talent ( or lack of ) then the gears. I am a 373 fan! I'd like to hear more on the torsen differential topic. I am hearing more folks talk about the need to upgrade.

Good luck, had a great session at the Autobahn last week!

3.73 looks like the ticket for my car. I agree that 3.90 or 4.10 is better for n/a. I've been away from the forums for a while so please be patient with me if some of my newer posts have been covered in the past couple years - I'm doing searches on topics as I get to know folks again.

A couple (OK maybe several!) years ago on the Mustang forums there seemed to be a few cases of guys getting defective ring & pinion sets from FRPP. I lost track of the topics before I ever found out if this was quality issue on Ford's end, or if it was determined to be operator error on the installation and lack of proper break-in procedure. Can anyone get some current insight - or have these problems been resolved? I will be sourcing as many parts as possible for my build from sponsors on this site but just wondering.

Thanks,

Tim

Buckle up tight and hang on

3:55 here & it seems to be a nice fit for a road course, but I'm no expert that's for certain

Yes I think the 3.73's look right for a course like you have discriped.

But in general the 3.55's are more ideal for 2+ mile course with long straights for blower cars.

I drove both Lgs ShelbyGT' Eforce 455hp SGT & a Roush 540hp Hammer demo car for a complete day on track at Pacific Raceway.

Torque is your friend with the blower, I need the 3.73's with my NA engine and have to work harder to keep the rpm's in the sweet spot, were as the blower crowd has torque to there advange and the 3.55's will get it done and give you plenty of RPM's for the long straights

Thanks guys. I'll probably get both sets (3.73 & 3.55) although the 3.73 will be best suited to this short, tight track. I'll need to get some seat time with the new suspension setup before I'm ready for one one of the longer road courses.

Looking forward to putting a scare into some of my Porsche buddies with this car.

Archived