TEAM SHELBY FORUM

what would be the best gt 500 to get a 2010,11,12,13

looking to get a shelby gt and in a year or so do a wide body and a little later do a super snake option any input or ideas about a year thats better then the others i want a 2010 to 2013 body style but dont know mush more than that anybody have advice or opinions they want to give i am all ears ok bye robbie

what other improvements did the 2013 shelby gt500 have that previous models didnt can anyone tell me or know sorry am not a car nut just a regular guy that like muscle cars i am interested in a shelby gt 500 sorry about the gt misprint bye

I agree with the others, go with the '13. Considering they are all the same body style, may as well go with the newest car that has a 100hp advantage stock over the older years and a few more refinements. And besides, it's not just the horsepower advantage, its also the cubic inch advantage. Granted, if you went with an older one you're obviously buying used in which case you could probably get the car super snaked for just a little more than what you'll pay for a new '13/14 so might be able to do that sooner. There are a lot of variables to consider.

what other improvements did the 2013 shelby gt500 have that previous models didnt can anyone tell me or know sorry am not a car nut just a regular guy that like muscle cars i am interested in a shelby gt 500 sorry about the gt misprint bye

2010 is a 'bastard child'. Pretty much a 1-yr. deal. It was a dramatic change over the '07-'09 with the body style change and the horsepower rating going from 500HP to 540HP. There are some other differences such as HID headlights (optional) and sequential turn signals along with some electronic upgrades.

In 2011 they added the aluminum block (still 5.4 liter) and the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) to reduce the nose weight by 120 pounds to get the Fr./Rr. weight bias closer to the magical 50/50 mark. The aluminum block allowed them to bump the HP rating up by 10HP to 550HP. They also added some minor improvements such as rear passenger (folding) headrests, 'spot' mirrors, garage door opener in the retractable sun visors, etc..

2012 is pretty much the same as 2011. There might be some minor changes (such as My Key???) but otherwise it is the same as a 2011.

in 2013 they made a HUGE change. They increased the engine displacement from 5.4L (~333ci) to 5.8L (~351ci), increased the blower size and type with a 2.3L TVS and pumped the HP rating up from 550HP to 662HP. The optional Performance Package and Track Package can really drive the price up but also increases the "level" of performance you desire. There are WAY too many changes to list from memory but a BUNCH of electronic goodies were added as well.

The price also dramatically increased with the '13.

If you can swing it, the '13 is obviously the highest level of technology, horsepower and performance but on the other hand, used 10's, 11's and 12's are going CHEAP. You can pick them up for a song/dance.

2014 will be the last year for this body style and by all accounts, the last year for the GT500 (and likely the 5.4L/5.8L). A new body style is in order for 2015 and rumors of a Ford Motor Company produced GT350 are spreading like wildfire.

HTH,

Phill

what would be a good horsepower size to get but not over due it anyone have a idea or suggestion an this any input would be most helpful ok bye thanks for all the input its has helped me so much

2012 is pretty much the same as 2011. There might be some minor changes (such as My Key???) but otherwise it is the same as a 2011

2014 will be the last year for this body style and by all accounts, the last year for the GT500 (and likely the 5.4L/5.8L). A new body style is in order for 2015 and rumors of a Ford Motor Company produced GT350 are spreading like wildfire.

HTH,

Phill

I think, but am not positive that the 2012 was also the first year for the Recaro seats?

On the 2015 and Ford offering a GT350?..........I wonder who owns "GT350" as a label?

R

has anyone ever got the wide body option if so how did you like it and was it worth the price please reply back ok and thanks everyone for there help and opinions you all are awesome thank you again bye

On the 2015 and Ford offering a GT350?..........I wonder who owns "GT350" as a label?

R

Shelby did. Not sure if they still do.

The speculation is that Shelby either sold the label or is licensing it to Ford (ala the GT500 label).

Again, S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N.

Phill

Shelby did. Not sure if they still do.

The speculation is that Shelby either sold the label or is licensing it to Ford (ala the GT500 label).

Again, S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N.

Phill

If the GT350 label was sold, it would have had to have been very recently since they (Shelby) have just offered a GT350. I knew (or believe) that "COBRA" was sold to Ford, or partial owned way back in the late 60's and then that Cobra name was used on Torino's, Mustang II's, 1980/81 Mustangs, SVT's etc., but I had not heard or read anything about GT350 being sold.............and I understand "speculation".

R

looking to get a shelby gt and in a year or so do a wide body and a little later do a super snake option any input or ideas about a year thats better then the others i want a 2010 to 2013 body style but dont know mush more than that anybody have advice or opinions they want to give i am all ears ok bye robbie

Robbie - The 2013/14 would be a nice Super Snake, as the 2011/12 would be. Are you talking about maxxing it out (spending $40K above the price of the car)?, or are you talking about an entry level Super Snake? If entry level, I would probably go with the 2013/14 662 factory horsepower and all of the most current technology that is part of these cars. If you are going to jump into the bigger blower and the 800+ hp range, there is nothing the matter with the 2011/12 for that build.

If you are also adding the cost of the WB, that has to be considered.................

R

can someone explain in simple english what a watts link metal tubular , billet aluminum along with a shelby / eibach adjustable coil over suspension is and is one better than the others for the supersnake shelby am confused whats these are and does ok please thank you everyone bye robbie

has anyone ever got the wide body option if so how did you like it and was it worth the price please reply back ok and thanks everyone for there help and opinions you all are awesome thank you again bye

I don't own one, but just worked the NYC auto show for 2 days. They had a wide body 2013 Super Snake there. It was bad azz. I hadn't liked the option in pictures. But in person it is really nice. It runs 17k for all four quarters. It includes, new rocker panels, paint, tires and rims to fit the new quarters. I'll post pics later tonight.

I'd say 90% of the people that were looking at it LOVED the widebody.

can someone explain in simple english what a watts link metal tubular , billet aluminum along with a shelby / eibach adjustable coil over suspension is and is one better than the others for the supersnake shelby am confused whats these are and does ok please thank you everyone bye robbie

Here's a couple of threads to read on Watts links...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76731-shelby-fays2-or-griggs-quiet-watts-link/page__hl__fays__st__20

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79014-shelby-fays2-watts-link-vs-fays2-watts-link/page__hl__fays

I don't own one, but just worked the NYC auto show for 2 days. They had a wide body 2013 Super Snake there. It was bad azz. I hadn't liked the option in pictures. But in person it is really nice. It runs 17k for all four quarters. It includes, new rocker panels, paint, tires and rims to fit the new quarters. I'll post pics later tonight.

I'd say 90% of the people that were looking at it LOVED the widebody.

Completely agree. I also worked the NYIAS for a couple of days. Never really like the pictures of the wide body kit. It looks amazing when you are standing next to the car. Makes the car look more of a beast than what it is already. Definitely recommend everyone to check it out in person if they ever have a chance to do it. Pictures do not do it justice. Now I'm gonna have to get the wide body option whenever I decide to super snake my '11.

As far as recommending model year. I would definitely get the '13 if you could pull it off. Just a much better car than the previous years. Too many goodies. i.e. launch control. But I don't think you could really go wrong with 11 12 13 model years. Specially if you are eventually going to supersnake the cars. Good luck with your decision. Nice problem to have.

• 3 months later...

2010 is a 'bastard child'. Pretty much a 1-yr. deal. It was a dramatic change over the '07-'09 with the body style change and the horsepower rating going from 500HP to 540HP. There are some other differences such as HID headlights (optional) and sequential turn signals along with some electronic upgrades.

In 2011 they added the aluminum block (still 5.4 liter) and the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) to reduce the nose weight by 120 pounds to get the Fr./Rr. weight bias closer to the magical 50/50 mark. The aluminum block allowed them to bump the HP rating up by 10HP to 550HP. They also added some minor improvements such as rear passenger (folding) headrests, 'spot' mirrors, garage door opener in the retractable sun visors, etc..

2012 is pretty much the same as 2011. There might be some minor changes (such as My Key???) but otherwise it is the same as a 2011.

in 2013 they made a HUGE change. They increased the engine displacement from 5.4L (~333ci) to 5.8L (~351ci), increased the blower size and type with a 2.3L TVS and pumped the HP rating up from 550HP to 662HP. The optional Performance Package and Track Package can really drive the price up but also increases the "level" of performance you desire. There are WAY too many changes to list from memory but a BUNCH of electronic goodies were added as well.

The price also dramatically increased with the '13.

If you can swing it, the '13 is obviously the highest level of technology, horsepower and performance but on the other hand, used 10's, 11's and 12's are going CHEAP. You can pick them up for a song/dance.

HTH,

Phill

I have a 2010 "bastard child" and love it, thank you very much!

In my opinion there are 2 significant years

The 07 it is the 40th anniversary of the GT500's even the verts (there was one vert in 67) (even without the 40th package it is still the 40th anniversary of the car)

The 13 was the last car Carroll was involved with ( videos of him present during the sebring testing )

No up lift packages from Shelby on our cars, but that is ok by me.

Archived