TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX 8037 on order!!!

sfm6s1675

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom and Dorothy are awesome people(with hearts of gold).....remind me of my parent for other reasons. They have an awesome little shop I was fortunate enough to visit(after hours) last year with Art, Bev, and Dan. Congrats, cant wait to see the final machine!

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Frankly i was very bummed and a lot concerned when Tom told me the factory inadvertantly forgot the heater installation. Obviously it's a lot harder and was concerned about doing it now but Tom reassured me they'd get it done and done right (only sticking point is my distributor is talking to Shelby about who will pay Tom, I suppose). But I got the same impression from Tom in talking to him on the phone several times.

Yes I am a bit concerned about the heater install after the fact but Tom reassured me. Will be keeping my fingers crossed. The car was ordered through Gateway Performance in St. Louis.

Yes I am a bit concerned about the heater install after the fact but Tom reassured me. Will be keeping my fingers crossed. The car was ordered through Gateway Performance in St. Louis.

From what I have heard, Tom can make anything right, so you should be driving soon. I ordered a 50th Anniversary 289 FIA (CSX7000) back in January, so I know there will probably be some times I will also need reassurance from somebody….. :cool:

Tom will take care of you. I can understand the concern but rest assured it will come out perfect.

Joe did my engine too. He was a wealth of information. I went with the all aluminum block and heads; thought about Webers briefly but went with the Holley 4 barrel. If i was getting an FIA, you betcha I'd go with the Webers. Joe had the history on the cam timing, why they chose what they did, etc. I am soooo excited to hear this baby start up....

• 1 month later...

Went with the wife to Las Vegas last weekend to check out CSX 8037. Unfortunately it wasn't quite done...Tom was still working out the interference issues with the exhaust....but almost done. He is planning a very nice touch, black powder coat the exhaust so it's not so visible from the side. Should be a matter of maybe just a couple of more weeks.....

Here are some pics from our Vegas trip. Tom was a genius on the exhaust system. Remaining items to go are re-attach exhaust after powder coat, reinstall engine bay panels, add drivers side mirror and passenger grab bar. Then it's good to go for check out and ship!

Clark-20140425-00067.jpg

IMG-20140425-00062.jpg

IMGP0104.JPG

Tom - Exhaust system.jpg

IMGP0097.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

All,

It's been a grand total of over 19 months since I first signed the deposit check to start this process going. It has been fraught with half-starts, mis-steps, controversy, and frustration. But tomorrow afternoon the long wait will be finally over. Tom confirmed to me on Tuesday that the shipper was to pick up my car from his shop about 6 pm PST. The ETA of the car into St. Louis is tomorrow afternoon. The complications which caused this project to take so long are numerous to list and I really don't wish to go into this here in a public forum. But let's just say it took a lot of personal perseverence, calling people, and making deals myself to finally get this where it's at. I honesty cannot wait for tomorrow afternoon. Will post pics as soon as I can of CSX 8037!

By the way, Tom is Vegas is a frickin' genius and a great guy as many of you have said. I have 100% total confidence in what he did. Which does temper somewhat the frustration of the long wait.

Congratulations. I know exactly what you mean about a long frustating wait and then having Tom save the day. I waited 21 months from order to delivery. The experience with Tom made for a great ending. You'll forget much of the frustration when your car rolls off the hauler. Be sure to post some pics when it gets home.

OK. Finally the moment I never thought would come. Met my distributor and the car hauler about noon or so. Recall I had not heard this beast run as Tom was still making the headers work. Jeez, what a rumble, lopey idle. Joe at Shelby Engines is another frickin' genius....he built this motor, it's the all aluminum (block & heads) 289, bored/stroked to 331 cu in. Holley double pumper carb, MSD ignition, all sorts of goodies. Dyno'ed at 479 hp.

Was chilly and overcast, had Tom put the top on it several months ago to stretch it out. Took it easy going home and now it's safely in the garage, just before any rain hit. Just got back from taking the wife out for her first ride....

Cobra First Day.ppt

Congrats! Glad you got her home safe and sound, and speaking of sound, I got to hear my 331 done by Joe (with Webers) when I was there on Thursday, out those unobstructed side pipes, it is the best sound in the world. Hope you get some seat time in it and the weather improves. Good Luck!

Thanks guys. I think you may have the same motor as me, except you have the Webers instead of the Holley double pumper. Great choice for an FIA car.

One issue...noticed a leak on the passenger side, either an axle or diff seal. Surely couldn't be a part of my spirited driving yesterday, could it?!!! Will have to see what's up with that. Rainy day today anyway so i won't be going anywhere.....

Archived