TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GTS, a non owner review

svttim

I had the oportunity to drive a GTS (six) at the bash. I was able to drive it oround town, on the highway and on track.

Getting used to the clutch took very little time, stalled it once but, I believ that would happen with any new ride (I drive a 500) The ride is decent for a car with the suspension that comes on the car. You wont be mistaking it with any of the new offerings from Lincoln but then again, if that is what your looking for, you probably would not be reading this. the exhaust note is a bit high pitched but it did not remind me of a ricer, more so the pitch encountered with multiple cam super cars (and no Im not comapiring the Ferrari to the GTS ;) ) This particular car had 3.73 gears and it suited it very well. There is an obvious lack of torque when compared to a GT or a GT500 but the 3.73 gears do thier part to help you move. Of course, you can get the GTS with a 5.0 but, this is not the car I drove.

Highway cruising is quite pleasent, no drone from the exhaust. At 80MPH the car was quiet and still delievered 28-30 MPG. Easy to drive the car across country and not break the bank.

On track, the car held its line consistanly. It was very easy to drive and the nose went where pointed. not that you could not make the car screem for mercy but, that can be done to any car. In some areas, the lack of torque did hurt its performance. The gearing did help in some of the turns at Mountain Springs but of course, thats a trade off with other areas. Now, even V8's have this issue when not in thier power band but it is more pronunced in the V6 model. That being said, lets just say there were a couple of GT500's and a Super snake that gave a point by. A true testiment to the suspension Shelby has choosen for the car. And that torque thing, they have a fix for that too. ;)

If you considering a GTS and have second thoughts, I hope this may help a bit. The Six banger is bang for the buck, maybe more so when you take into consideration fuel and insurance costs. But, make no mistake, this is a serious perfromance car and a damn good looking car too!

I've always felt that this was a great way to get a CSM-numbered Shelby car for a small upfront investment, and later keep going with mods to step it up as far as you want. It's a heck of a value, for sure!

Jer

Nice review Tim! Like I was telling you from my experience with the V6 Rental last year, these things really show their strength on the track. As I had a 5.0 GT rental this year, I think I had more fun with the V6 last year. The car seems more balanced and has just enough torque if you keep it up in the power band. I imagine with the suspension of the GTS, it would be very good.

Archived