TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No...Its not a GT500...

yoggiebhr

wow, you guys lose a bunch of ET with all that elevation......my wifes bone stock 08 SGT runs 13.7 at 104 all day here........no blower, no nothing, 319 hp/auto.......

Yep, that would be a 15.0-15.5 car here at about 89-92mph ish. You can loose approx. 25% hp due to the elevation. It sux!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the cylinder wall damage all that broke on the block? Maybe the better question is was the cause of your issue block failure or broken rods/pistons that caused block damage? I have holes in my 351w block from the rod bouncing around after piston failure... but the block is good to much more power than I was running.... sucks though either way! No fun to break stuff...

Was the cylinder wall damage all that broke on the block? Maybe the better question is was the cause of your issue block failure or broken rods/pistons that caused block damage? I have holes in my 351w block from the rod bouncing around after piston failure... but the block is good to much more power than I was running.... sucks though either way! No fun to break stuff...

Lack of fuel due to an improper install of the in tank cross over tube caused fuel starvation and detonation, which then caused the piston/rod failure at about 6200 RPM and 8-10 lbs of boost. Block ended up cracking all the way around the front two cylinders, three rods blew out the side of the block, holes in the picture above go all the way through the block, which oiled the whole car for me.

here we go with some carnage pics. buddy of mines car. 08gt with a saleen blower, pushing about 10 psi around 5500 rpm she came apart....

IMG_1047_zpsee114ac4.jpg

IMG_1025_zps794562b8.jpg

IMG_1051_zps84a3116f.jpg

IMG_1050_zps6db9b561.jpg

IMG_1049_zpsac939031.jpg

IMG_1061_zps82ff68f9.jpg

IMG_1057_zps9d988144.jpg

IMG_1060_zps0544c8d3.jpg

IMG_1056_zps1fe67549.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsdc715502.jpg

anyway enough of the hijack, but something to think about when putting the boost to them

Knock on wood, but I've yet to see carnage like that from a whipple with the frpp tune... it's been a while since I searched, but seemed like the guys with broken motors all had custom tunes or different blowers (which wouldn't have the frpp tune). I'm sure it's happened, just haven't seen or heard of it yet.

Knock on wood, but I've yet to see carnage like that from a whipple with the frpp tune... it's been a while since I searched, but seemed like the guys with broken motors all had custom tunes or different blowers (which wouldn't have the frpp tune). I'm sure it's happened, just haven't seen or heard of it yet.

I can take pictures this afternoon. There are two blocks pretty much identical to mine down at the shop where my car is, that had Whipples with the FRPP tune. They both now also have aluminators in them and have been trouble free so far. He has a few blocks lined up on the wall which pretty much all look like the above photos. One of the blocks there is the most amazing I've seen, it has all 8 pistons like above and all 8 cylinders with holes through the side of the block where both the rod and pistons made their exit all at once. Of course that guy tried to put 30lbs of boost through twin turbos on a brand new totally stock engine. It didn't make one pass on the strip. He is also running an aluminator now and has survived many runs now pushing 30+ lbs. I'm sure that one will go someday also as that is just way to much boost.

Archived