TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No...Its not a GT500...

yoggiebhr

Ok...quick rant...our cars are SHELBYS. No..they don't say GT500 on the side, no they don't have superchargers (well, at least most of us don't). So, please, don't say to us...."Oh...its just a GT"

Ok....everyone can go back to their regularly scheduled programming.....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...I was at a little get together tonight with others of our Mustang club. There are a few GT500's in the group and one of them was there tonight. A young Mustang GT driver stopped to look at the cars and walked up to mine and said "Oh, I love these GT500's, can I see the engine" I tried to explain the difference and when I opened the hood, thats when he said "Oh, its just a GT"

I was in a bit of a mood earlier...I'm much better now. LOL

Ok...quick rant...our cars are SHELBYS. No..they don't say GT500 on the side, no they don't have superchargers (well, at least most of us don't). So, please, don't say to us...."Oh...its just a GT"

THANK YOU! I agree with this 100%. It used to not bug me when I first got the car but now for some reason it bugs me. I try to explain the differences to people but they just dont seem to get it and they just think the GT500 is the only real Shelby. Its tough being the underdog.

It kinda is just a GT... but a bad-ass one!

Please educate me....

What IS the difference, other than the (stated) dash plaque?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Shelby GT until I was buying my GT500 and the sales person started telling me about all the different Shelby models. I left the dealership, still not understanding.

Phill

I think the Shelby GT commands a lot of respect, its a great car.

Phil, you have over 5,700 posts and you are just now asking the difference between a Shelby GT and a GT500?

No, I am asking about the difference between a Mustang GT and a Shelby GT.

I own a GT500 and I am fully aware of the differences between it and a Mustang GT (and now, a Shelby GT).

Phill

Actually the Shelby GT's were shipped to Shelbys factory in Las Vegas and underwent a conversion that replaced the suspension componets(i.e. spring shocks sway bars etc) ,exhaust,special tune to mention a few things. I know there are others on this site that can come up with more stuff. Most Shelby GT 500's other than the super snakes and special edition models have never been through the Shelby factory. They for the most part are a SVT that has the word Shelby stuck to the trunk lid. And here we go.

And SGT owners have larger penises.

LOL....I'll use one of the stalls next time we both go into the same bathroom!

Phill (personally, *I'm* not lookin'!)

Actually the Shelby GT's were shipped to Shelbys factory in Las Vegas and underwent a conversion that replaced the suspension componets(i.e. spring shocks sway bars etc) ,exhaust,special tune to mention a few things. I know there are others on this site that can come up with more stuff. Most Shelby GT 500's other than the super snakes and special edition models have never been through the Shelby factory. They for the most part are a SVT that has the word Shelby stuck to the trunk lid. And here we go.

So basically what you're saying is that a Ford Mustang GT gets sent to Las Vegas and gets a bunch of Roush stuff (i.e. Ford Racing FR-3, FR-1, etc.) and aftermarket stuff (i.e Hurst) stuff stuck on it to make it into a Shelby GT, as opposed to the GT500 that that comes direclty from Ford where SVT sticks a bunch of FoMoCo stuff on it...Right?

Phill (THAT ought'a get you boys goin'!)

I am a car guy, Ford blood runs through my veins, I like all Fords & Mustangs, that said, ITS JUST A GT, haha. People are jealous of what you have, I see it all the time. I bet we all have had someone say that to us at onetime or another. Our car are just a GT + CS exterior package and a 9k Shelby package (per-titled too) build at SAI in Vegas. At car shows I am tired of explaining to people what these cars are so i am in the process of making a show board to show it not just a GT. We SGT owners need to educate the public.

I was at a show last summer, parked in the Shelby area, the only SGT with ten GT500, when a older gentleman and this wife came up to me( I'm old but they were older then me) and said out of all these Shelby's I think your's would be the most fun to drive, he made my day. I told him to hang around and at the end I took him for a ride, he said i made his day that he always wanted to take a ride in a real Shelby.

Educate the public one person at a time.

P.S GT500 owner on Team Shelby dose not the difference between a Mustang GT and a SGT, shame on you. I guess we need to educate some Team Shelby Members too. The Fourm has the most educated informed Shelby people on the net. We need to start Shelby history 101 for some of our members.

Really, when you think about is, the only real Mustang is the base model V6.

Anything else is just made up of mods on it.

P.S GT500 owner on Team Shelby dose not the difference between a Mustang GT and a SGT, shame on you. I guess we need to educate some Team Shelby Members too.

And why on Earth do you feel that just because I own a GT500, I should know the difference between a Mustang GT and a SGT?

That's like saying, just because I own a Ford I should know the difference between a F-150 Four x 4 and a F-150 King Ranch.

Why should I even CARE what the difference is between a Mustang GT and a Shelby GT??? I don't own either, I own a GT500. If I owned a Shelby GT, I could see your point. But I don't, and I don't.

I could seriously give a rats ass what the difference is. I bought a CAR, not a legend (i.e. I for one am NOT a "fan boy") and I did NOT buy it because it said "Shelby" on it. I bought it because it said GT500 on it (and I know that the GT500 is a bad ass car).

Phill

Don't get me wrong I like all of the Mustangs. But there are many different Mustangs. There are the Shelby GT's with the pedigree from the SAI factory and there are the GT 500's(nice cars)from the Ford factory that "say" Shelby on the trunk lid. A few years back these cars were referred to as Mustang Cobras.

I am a car guy, Ford blood runs through my veins, I like all Fords & Mustangs, that said, ITS JUST A GT, haha. People are jealous of what you have, I see it all the time. I bet we all have had someone say that to us at onetime or another. Our car are just a GT + CS exterior package and a 9k Shelby package (per-titled too) build at SAI in Vegas. At car shows I am tired of explaining to people what these cars are so i am in the process of making a show board to show it not just a GT. We SGT owners need to educate the public.

I was at a show last summer, parked in the Shelby area, the only SGT with ten GT500, when a older gentleman and this wife came up to me( I'm old but they were older then me) and said out of all these Shelby's I think your's would be the most fun to drive, he made my day. I told him to hang around and at the end I took him for a ride, he said i made his day that he always wanted to take a ride in a real Shelby.

Educate the public one person at a time.

P.S GT500 owner on Team Shelby dose not the difference between a Mustang GT and a SGT, shame on you. I guess we need to educate some Team Shelby Members too. The Fourm has the most educated informed Shelby people on the net. We need to start Shelby history 101 for some of our members.

I made a show board last year, and it helped a lot of people understand just what our cars are. I love all Mustangs, and I forget that not all Mustang owners are as fanatical as I am. Alot of Mustang owners out there have no idea of the heritage that Carroll Shelby built. I've always personally thought the Shelby GT's were the closest spiritual successor to the original Shelby Mustangs just because of the production process. Of course, we're all biased to what we have/love.

I had a kid just yesterday complement my SGT, then ask 'What is it?' I said 'It's a Shelby'. He replied enthusiasticly 'A GT500!?' I said 'No, it's a Shelby GT.' The kid asked 'What's the difference?' I told him, 'About 40k cars.'

I had a kid just yesterday complement my SGT, then ask 'What is it?' I said 'It's a Shelby'. He replied enthusiasticly 'A GT500!?' I said 'No, it's a Shelby GT.' The kid asked 'What's the difference?' I told him, 'About 40k cars.'

and 200 HP

..."and a trip to Las Vegas"....

OK, guys, knock it off. This is like watching an old episode of Falcon Crest or Dynasty.

Jer

Showing your age there Jer... Some people may not know those shows lol

LOL...

Jer

Archived