TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Package

Can the SS package be ordered with a stripe delete? And a nonfunctional window scoop delete? Also, how does the hood differ from the KR hood? The stripe delete because I like it without stripes, just cobra SS badging and I don't like nonfunctional design elements, so no quarter window scoops for me, if possible.

I can tell you that the SS hood carries more classic lines of the original '68 GT500 Hood. Hope this helps (a little)...

As far as your other questions, I do not think those kind of details are ironed out yet, but I would expect that these deviations from the SS package won't happen, as the car will not look like the SS any more, but a modded GT500. The car needs to keep it's identity. Just my .02...

If I am correct, you can always pull the scoops off after the fact. Just a thought...

I can tell you that the SS hood carries more classic lines of the original '68 GT500 Hood. Hope this helps (a little)...

As far as your other questions, I do not think those kind of details are ironed out yet, but I would expect that these deviations from the SS package won't happen, as the car will not look like the SS any more, but a modded GT500. The car needs to keep it's identity. Just my .02...

If I am correct, you can always pull the scoops off after the fact. Just a thought...

Any mention of replacing the original two piece drive shaft on the higher hp version?

Edit: Another good question is differential replacement. The stock unit will not hold up to the added hp very long unless you don't drive it.

Any mention of replacing the original two piece drive shaft on the higher hp version?

Edit: Another good question is differential replacement. The stock unit will not hold up to the added hp very long unless you don't drive it.

What makes you say that ? Isn't the reason for the replacement a gear change /brakes.,and suspension components....I was thinking it would be a faster way to do the change as a unit thats why the replacement. Otherwise the stock diff. is plenty strong IMO.

I just wish they would keep the two over the top stripes as is ...it looks a little overdone with the three on top.IMHO

might be a deal breaker for me. This is something that I'll have to live with for a long time (God willing) .It is also the most noticable change on the car. Just doesn't look right to me.

I just wish they would keep the two over the top stripes as is ...it looks a little overdone with the three on top.IMHO

might be a deal breaker for me. This is something that I'll have to live with for a long time (God willing) .It is also the most noticable change on the car. Just doesn't look right to me.

I need to see more angles. Anyone got any more SS pics yet?

What makes you say that ? Isn't the reason for the replacement a gear change /brakes.,and suspension components....I was thinking it would be a faster way to do the change as a unit thats why the replacement. Otherwise the stock diff. is plenty strong IMO.

Hi, I'm not sure what you men exactly but I'm thinking your under the impression the whole diff is being replaced during the SS upgrade? I'm not seeing any mention of of an actual differential upgrade, just gears.

The stock GT500 is a very good unit and plenty strong, Ford added some nice GT500 specific parts to the limited slip differential during production.

The bottom line is the two piece drive shaft will end up looking like a pretzel with the higher output SS package. Secondly the stronger GT500 differential clutches can not hold up to the higher hp either, they will start slipping when you need them to grab and eventually come apart or just slip a whole lot and you basically have an open differential.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about just a planned gear change for the SS package and no DS upgrade.

I know what you mean, regarding the SS look. But the original '68 window scoops served a purpose. And since these can't, what is the point, other than obstructing rear vision?

When they cut into the body to put the rear brake duct scoops, I hope they do something to coat/protect the cut steel from future corrosion too. Just my .02. ^_^

Hi, I'm not sure what you men exactly but I'm thinking your under the impression the whole diff is being replaced during the SS upgrade? I'm not seeing any mention of of an actual differential upgrade, just gears.

The stock GT500 is a very good unit and plenty strong, Ford added some nice GT500 specific parts to the limited slip differential during production.

The bottom line is the two piece drive shaft will end up looking like a pretzel with the higher output SS package. Secondly the stronger GT500 differential clutches can not hold up to the higher hp either, they will start slipping when you need them to grab and eventually come apart or just slip a whole lot and you basically have an open differential.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about just a planned gear change for the SS package and no DS upgrade.

I don't think the DS will be changed,I agree that it should be but won't because of the saftey issues.I think the diff can handle quite a bit of power. At what point do you think the limited slip unit will fail ? The stock Ford units are very stout pieces.

I thought I read somewhere that there would be a whole differential change ,maybe I misread something somewhere I can't find it though.It would make sense though considering all they plan to change.

FOUND IT----in GT500 ss factory mods post #24

We are not doing a rear gear upgrade, meaning, we are removing the complete 3:31 housing and gears and we are installing the full 3:73 rear gears and housing Sorry, I was typing fast.

Amy

I do like the original ('67) SuperSnake Stripes, I think it would be the one :superhero: warning that an educated motorhead would glean before he/she got their arses handed to them on a plate. For the rest of the numbskulls, they would just think they got dusted by a 'regular' GT500. :hysterical:

I don't think the DS will be changed,I agree that it should be but won't because of the saftey issues.I think the diff can handle quite a bit of power. At what point do you think the limited slip unit will fail ? The stock Ford units are very stout pieces.

I thought I read somewhere that there would be a whole differential change ,maybe I misread something somewhere I can't find it though.It would make sense though considering all they plan to change.

FOUND IT

It is easy enough to install a one piece DS at home and I understand the safety issue from a legal stand point, it's not to safe if the stock unit tears a hole in the bottom of your car though. On my car I noticed after Evo stage 2 install during practicing three or four launches my car became a one wheel wonder after the differential warmed up. We took the stock unit apart and found nothing visibly wrong, the only thing that could be happening is the internal clutch pack was slipping because it had glazed over? Anyway, the Torsen T2R that I had installed has no clutches to slip and I can tell a big difference in performance.

I agree the stock Ford unit is stout enough for a car that won't be raced.

Can the SS package be ordered with a stripe delete? And a nonfunctional window scoop delete? Also, how does the hood differ from the KR hood? The stripe delete because I like it without stripes, just cobra SS badging and I don't like nonfunctional design elements, so no quarter window scoops for me, if possible.

I agree completely. I also don't care for the gauges on the dash. Hopefully we'll be able to pick and choose to a certain extent and still be able to call it a Super Snake.

Mac

FOUND IT----in GT500 ss factory mods post #24

I remember this well. I am still under the impression the same differential is being used, kinda sounds like SAI will be pulling differential housing and swapping with 3.73 geared unit? There is no mention of improved or upgraded differential. I'm sure we will find out specifics at or before pricing announcements.

Archived