TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Towing the Stang

skiph

Hey all,

I was planning on towing my Stang by my SUV, but turns out my '95 Toyota 4-Runner's towing capacity is 3,500 lbs and the Stang is a bit over 3,900 lbs curb weight. I know this is more of a SUV question, but wondering what my risks would be (after finding a low-profile way to tow it) to tow the Stang 700 miles or so straight up the coast. Very infrequest stops of course.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was planning on towing my Stang by my SUV, but turns out my '95 Toyota 4-Runner's towing capacity is 3,500 lbs and the Stang is a bit over 3,900 lbs curb weight. I know this is more of a SUV question, but wondering what my risks would be (after finding a low-profile way to tow it) to tow the Stang 700 miles or so straight up the coast. Very infrequest stops of course.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You *can* kill the tow vehicle.

Get a good tandem axle trailer with electric brakes and the towing vehicle should be fine. It will just put a LOT of stress on the tow vehicle. What Class hitch do you have? If that's not up to par, DO NOT TRY IT.

If the hitch breaks off of the tow vehicle, it doesn't matter what the capacity is.

Phill

Don't forget to include the weight of the trailer in your calculations. A typical tandem axle trailer for towing a car is 2000+ lbs I believe. And all that weight behind the tow vehicle could easily cause you to lose control of the tow vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a class III\IV Receiver with a Gross Towing Weight limit of 5,500 lbs.

So yea, over what the 4-Runner should tow but way under what the hitch is rated for.

The clutch and breaks are what come to mind as being the most stressed.

Man I wish the 4Runner was rated to be able to tow more.

The clutch and breaks are what come to mind as being the most stressed.

Brakes in the truck are likely the weak link. The extra mass and momentum, even with electric assist brakes on the trailer, are the weak link.

I towed my Mustang and Cobra with a full sized 1/2 ton (Dodge 1500) with a trailer towing package with no problems I wouldn't try to tow it behind my Jeep.

• 1 month later...

Seriously consider the full ramifications. You are seriously overloaded with the car and trailer for what your tow vehicle is rated. Brakes and cooling are often the limiting factors with a tow vehicle. Your greatest concern should be if you are in a wreck. If the police check your legal capacity vs. what you are carrying you will be in trouble. Also, insurance won't cover you. Tom

Absolutely what tomshep said /\ either rent a bigger truck or drive it the Shelby the 700 miles, the Shelby could probably tow the 4runner but definitely not the otherway arround! I used my 4runner to tow a very small uhaul trailer from Florida to DC, approx 800 miles, the trailer and cargo wieghed in at 2000 lbs, it was not a fun trip, I would not want to pull a 4000 lb Shelby 700 miles with a 4runner.

Archived