TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Newbie to Team Shelby....Be Gentle.....

gotoatz

Greetings Team Shelby Members,

So as noted in my title, I am brand new to TS. Greetings to all. That said, not new to the Mustang world, or Mustang Forums. I have been on Mustang Forums and Mustang Source since late 2004, a few months before I bought my 05 GT. Also been on IMBOC since July of 2008, a couple of days after buying Bullitt #115 DHG.

For the last 40 years, just after buying my first 1969 Mustang, I have known that a Shelby had to eventually be in my future. Dare say, it has been my dream/bucket list car for that long. And after spending the last 40 years working full time, taking care of family and kids, then grandkids, god willing the time to finally realize that dream may be close at hand. Time to take care of me.......

Now, I would love to just run out and buy a 2013, but not seeing that as a financial reality at this point. I've seen dealers in So Cal asking 88K and more. Aint gonna happen. So I have seriously turned my attention to some beautiful 2011 and 2012 GT500's. The current apple of my eye is a beautiful 2012 Kona Blue, stripe delete with about 8500 miles. Nothing firm or in stone yet.

So, I am hoping that some of the experts here can share some of their opinions pertaining to the 2011 vs. 2012. Beyond some of the minor visual differences, is that anything that I should be aware of, or looking for? Short term, this would be my daily driver, which is only about 10 miles a day. My 05 was brand new when I got her, and currently has 32K on the odometer.....

I have already done some minor checking on Brenspeed pertaining to the CAI, tune, and possible pulley swap. How tough is the pulley swap to do? Any "gotchas" to know about in this process? Any info you all care to share would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all in advance,

Mike

Welcome to the world of Shelby. The GT500 is a truly amazing machine. The 2010 and up is ideal because it took until 2010 for Ford to sort out al the bugs. In my opinion Brenspeed is a fine performance company but I would not put place them in the same category as VMP Tuning and JLT Performance who has been improving the GT500 since day 1.

The pulley swap is really easy if you have the right puller and this is coming from a guy who has little knowledge around the engine bay. The archives are packed with tips, tricks and products that have proven successful and those that flopped.

Looking forward to your future postings.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will be doing plenty of reading. The 2012 Kona Blue that I was looking at has been sold, so, my search will continue. No Rush.

Ingram thank you for the advice. I am certainly familiar with VMP, as Justin did one of my first tunes for my 05...Awesome tune. Had to kinda migrate to Brenspeed with the advent of the Blower on my 05. Purchased through Brent and used his tune since. But again, lots of reading time in my future here.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will be doing plenty of reading. The 2012 Kona Blue that I was looking at has been sold, so, my search will continue. No Rush.

Ingram thank you for the advice. I am certainly familiar with VMP, as Justin did one of my first tunes for my 05...Awesome tune. Had to kinda migrate to Brenspeed with the advent of the Blower on my 05. Purchased through Brent and used his tune since. But again, lots of reading time in my future here.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Team Shelby, indeed, you'll have lots of reading here...and what a great resource as you move forward.

I too am over on Imboc occasionally as my son drives a DHG '01B

I see you're in the Pacific Coast region, keep checking the regional forum for event in your area...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/forum/96-pacific-coast/

Tom

Mike welcome to TS!!

Sorry, can't help ya w/ the GT500 questions. I'm a Shelby GT expert! (yeah, right...)

There are very few differences in the two years. The recaro's were available in 2012. I believe that is the only major difference. We have a couple of dealerships. PM fryguy79, he has a handle on the details.

There are very few differences in the two years. The recaro's were available in 2012. I believe that is the only major difference.

I thought that the stripes for 2011 were skinny and then went back to the normal wide stripes for 2012 (may not matter if he gets a stripe-delete car)

-Pockdog

I thought that the stripes for 2011 were skinny and then went back to the normal wide stripes for 2012 (may not matter if he gets a stripe-delete car)

-Pockdog

The Performance Package stripes are skinny, non PP are thick. :D

-Pockdog

The Performance Package stripes are skinny, non PP are thick. :D

2011 and 2012 SVTPP Shelby GT500's came with the skinny stripes (as a nod to the heritage of the GT40's), unless they left the AAI plant in Flat Rock as stripe delete units. Wide stripes returned on the 2013 and 2014's regardless of whether they optioned with the SVTPP/TP, or unless ordered stripe delete.

PS: gotoatz, Welcome to Team Shelby!

Ford_GT40_front_zps8313b5b1.jpg

Archived