TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowered cars

hossdriver

Okay, so I've had my 08 GT500 since it had 1200 original miles on it. It now has nearly 12K since late 2009. I had always assumed the car was bone stock. The car is garge kept and driven maybe 6-8 months out of the year depending on weather.

A few months back, before I parked it for the winter, I noticed severe tire wear on the inner tread of both fronts. So I took it to my dealer assuming something was up and that this would be somehow covered under my extended warranty. Boy was I wrong.

Supposedly during those first 1200 miles (or at Shelby, I have yet to figure out) the car was lowered with a set of Motorsport springs. My dealer used this bit of information to weasel out of the warranty saying someone altered the car. I had to agree because of the evidence they were showing me. However, I figured it came from Shelby that way. It even stated 'tuned suspension parts' on the original invoice supplied to me by the dealer. 'Sorry there's nothing we can do for you except offer to alter the lower strut mounting holes, align it, and sell you a new set of front tires. That will be $1,900 worst case, if you need new CC plates.'

So I parked the car in November and decided to work it out in the Spring. Spring is on the horizon now. Here's my question to you Shelby guru's out there. What is your recommendation for correcting the issue? Is it preferable to put a set of aftermarket CC plates on for added adjustability (a brand recommendation would be nice)? Or is the cheaper easier strut mod with camber bolts the better way to go? I'm surely not getting railroaded into a $1900 fix, as I can get away with new tires, labor and plates for about $800 I believe with a little help for Ford Tech friend of mine.

Anyone have experience and preferences they want to share? I actually seen a nice pair of Shelby plates online. I have used Maximum Motorsports plates on my Fox Mustang in the past with no problems. Cost difference all seems to be negligable.

Thanks for the input!

C

If the car is stock from the factory, Shelby had nothing to do with it unless you sent if to SA for modifications. The GT500 is a Ford factory product. You may have passed the allowable time for the warranty even if you paid extra for an Extended Factory warranty and that is why the dealer will not do anything. All vehicle warranties are is based on specific miles or months, whichever comes first. Also, warranties exclude expendable items like tires and batteries. It sounds not like suspension issue, but an alignment adjustment issue that went unchecked for too long.

At least that is my view. Very unfortunate to catch this so late. You need to enjoy and drive your vehicle more so you can catch problems as soon as they appear.

Good luck with the resolution.

If it was lowered with springs, a good set of CC plates will solve your problem.

Shelby, Maximum Motor Sports, or J&M all have good CC plates.

Your Ford Tech friend should be able to guide with all of the necessary parts.

If it was lowered with springs, a good set of CC plates will solve your problem.

Shelby, Maximum Motor Sports, or J&M all have good CC plates.

Your Ford Tech friend should be able to guide with all of the necessary parts.

+1 on the CC

stock front end never lowered had the same wear on my 07. The factory upper strut mounts are rubber and wear quickly.

If the dealer says that there are Motorsport lowering springs on it, then they are probably correct. If you post a picture of the front with a wheel off, then we can tell you for sure. Based on the small picture in your post, your car does look lowered. As others have stated, Shelby had nothing to do with your car unless it was sent there after it was built for modification. It does sound like the previous owner added lowering springs. If you just take a picture of your car from the side, we can tell you if it has lowering springs or not. If it does, they are not weaseling out of it, as it would have a modified suspension. If the previous owner did at the springs but did not have it properly alligned after, then that would absolutely be causing the wear you are seeing. Yep, the CC plates with a proper allignment, would solve your issue.

• 1 month later...

If the car is stock from the factory, Shelby had nothing to do with it unless you sent if to SA for modifications. The GT500 is a Ford factory product. You may have passed the allowable time for the warranty even if you paid extra for an Extended Factory warranty and that is why the dealer will not do anything. All vehicle warranties are is based on specific miles or months, whichever comes first. Also, warranties exclude expendable items like tires and batteries. It sounds not like suspension issue, but an alignment adjustment issue that went unchecked for too long.

At least that is my view. Very unfortunate to catch this so late. You need to enjoy and drive your vehicle more so you can catch problems as soon as they appear.

Good luck with the resolution.

I get how warranties work. I bought a 6 year extended warranty to cover the length of my loan, on a $40K car. It is an alignment issue cause by aftermarket suspension parts. Thanks for making clear, what I thought I already made clear. Why should I have to check my alignment during the first 12K miles on a car? I have enough experience with cars and Mustangs to know there is a serious problem, and when I'm getting robbed. Maybe I expected a little more love from a dealership that has $100k's of money from my family and my small business.

I came looking for advice on a solution. I know there are guys on here, with this particular car that have made this mod. I'm leaning toward the CC plates because its a cleaner fix. It amazes me that Ford actually provides a 'camber bolt', and a written fix specifically for this issue. That alone lends itself to the fact out how common it really is.

Archived