TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tune up time

I decided it was time to change the spark plugs on my 2008 Shelby GT. I was concerned because all of the horror stories I have heard about the plugs breaking. I decided to go with the replacement Motorcraft plugs. I turned all the plugs about an 1/8 turn and sprayed Chemtool B12 and let sit about 15 minutes. I'm happy to say all eight came out in one piece. They did have some carbon build-up which the B12 softened nicely. I also changed out the fuel filter and swapped the tranny fluid to Mobile One. Next up is to put on the KR mufflers. My car has right at 29,000 miles and lives on Shell premium since I got it. All in all I would say it went smoothly.

Mark

Glad to hear it all went well! Eventually I'm going to entrust that spark plug job to my dealer!! I'll eventually change mine due to "years" on the car, not "miles". I guess I should check my manual to see what's recommended....

Edit - Wow, just checked the manual - spark plugs should be replaced at 100,000 miles!! - no "years" mentioned. Maybe I'll just plan to replace them at 10 years...along with the tires and whatever else is needed.

I actually spent more time researching than it took to change them. I noticed the new plug had a different part number than the original factory plugs. They appeared identical but was told the shell is made of a different material. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again but would be leary to go past 30,000 miles without changing. I don't see how you would be able to remove them at 100,000 miles.

Mark

My car has the earlier heads with the two piece plugs. I was surprised how much the gap opened up in only 29,000 miles on the factory plugs unless they were gapped wrong when put in. It's my wife's car and she commented that the car seemed to have more power but I also changed out the fuel filter and swapped the factory mufflers to KR's at the same time.

Mark

The plugs I pulled out were the SP-462 (PZT1F) while the replacements were a SP-514 (PZH1F). From what I was told the only difference is the lower ground shield is coated or made out of a different material to help prevent carbon from sticking to it. I purchased my plugs from American Muscle since they were only $69.99 shipped while the cheapest I could find local was around $14 bucks a plug.

Thanks

Mark

Archived