TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loud grinding noise on 2008 GT500. Help!

Tommy Hodge

Hello all,

Yesterday afternoon there was this loud grinding sound (almost sounded like metal on metal) that you could hear at low speeds when the wheels were turning. As the wheels turned faster you could here the grinding get a little bit faster. Its possible you couldnt hear it at high speeds just because of road noise.

A friend of mine thinks its possible a pebble or rock got stuck somewhere and it will need to be pushed out or it will wear away eventually. I just had my brakes done (pads and rotors) last week.

Any ideas what it could be?

First, find out what wheel. Can you jack up each front wheel, spin it and hear the noise? If one of the front wheels, it is possible to get a rock stuck between the rotor and the backing plate. I get that on my cars sometimes, but I live on a dirt road. If a rock gets stuck there, it makes a loud screetching noise normally. So first, try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. We might be able to help from there. If you just had the brakes done last week, I would be somewhat concerned that they may have missed something. Maybe first bring it straight back there and have them take a look if you are not comfortable looking and diagnosing it yourself.

So i just drove real slow around my parking garage with my head out the window so i could hear, and its coming from the rear. Also there is a click/rattle when i go in reverse and hit the brakes. I noticed this rattle yesterday as well when I went over some bumps.

The noise goes away when I hit the brakes. Hope this helps.

Yea, that does not sound good. Sounds like they may have not put something together right on the rear brakes then when they changed the rotors. I'd be taking it straight back to have them take a look at what is wrong. That's not a good thing. I hope something does not bind on you bringing it to them.

Archived