TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 2012 GT500 "Ticking Noise" ongoing warranty nightmare UPDATE 5/26

EXPcustom

See top of page 2 for latest update 5/26.

Let me start by giving you guys a little history with my Shelbys and were I am today with my 2012 SVTPP GT500 I bought in June of 2011.

I originally had a 2007 GT500 that I loved, got the 0% deal, paid off in three years then decided to trade in for the 2012 GT500. These vehicles were and are my daily drivers, so I always paid extra for the extended warranty through Ford.

Just to be up front, there were no mods done to this vehicle, all oil changes and maintenance were done at regular intervals at the Ford dealership. Car currently has 45k miles on it since it is my daily driver and I count on it for business and work which requires me to drive around the state allot.

I would say a few months after purchasing my 2012 I noticed a slight ticking sound. when I brought the car in for oil changes or maintenance I was told this was "normal". So fast forward to last December:

Incident#1 January 2nd, 2013 the ticking had gradually got louder over time. When I brought in the car for maintenance there was no denying that the ticking now was not normal. I got the lifters replaced in the head and it was covered under the power train warranty.

Incident#2 January 14th, 2013 Less than a few hours after receiving my car back the engine suffered a catastrophic failure when the coil and spark plug literally exploded. I could hear a huge popping sound come from under my hood followed by the smell of burning sulphur and phosphors. Was able to drive it back to the dealership under its own power which was a few miles away. So they replaced the cylinder head and coil. Covered under powertrain warranty

Incident#3 February 2013 Once again less than 24 hours after receiving the car back, I noticed a burning smell, as in burning wires or plastic when I turned the climate control on. Check engine light was also blinking. Brought car back. Turns out the AC compressor burned out.Supposedly it was a "unrelated issue" so I had to pay the 100 dollar deductible out of my extended ESP warranty.

Incident#4 February 2013 I had car back for about a week. While driving noticed temporary loss of power when blinking light check engine light came on then stayed on. Brought it back to the dealership. Told me engine was misfiring on #2 cylinder. I told them I feel the car is no longer safe to drive and to push Ford for at least a new engine. Was told they would not since this incident is not related to the original "ticking sound" issue. I received the car back yesterday with a replaced coil on cylinder number two.

Incident#5 February 22 2013 Car once again had blinking check engine light with loss of power. Check engin light stayed on. Tried to take it into the dealership today but could not get a rental since the company they used was closed till Monday. Had to cancel my business trip to LA.

At this point I just want out of this car. I was always a huge Ford Shelby fan but this car is no longer safe nor reliable. I began carrying a fire extinguisher in the car since the two "burning smell" incidents. I am going to look into legal to see what I can do if Ford does not chose to make things right.

I just wanted to share this story incase anyone else has a similar "ticking sound" issue in the future. I will update as soon as I know more of what's going on with the car. Yes I am looking into "Lemon Lawing" the car as well.

I had issues with a Durango and many thing were wrong with my car. I kept taking it to the dealer for repairs under warranty. Final straw was wife took it to the store and went inside. When she came out the car wouldnt start.She calls me and I go over and find out that the battery has destroied itself for no reason. Car is only 1 year old but not as many miles as yours. So I call a tow truck and have it towed to the dealer to have it fixed. Then they call me on the phone to pick it up. I go in and talk to the service writer and tell them if you can put in writing that this car wolnt burn down my house thasn I am not going to pick up my car. It took them a month. Finly the Field rep was called and I got a rplacement car. It cost me a little more mopney but if it happened to me again I would not give them a dime. The ar was at the dealer more than I had it. So my advice to you is if something happens again just take it in to the dealer and refuse to come get it untill you talk to the field rep. Sucks to only have one car. You may have to rent a car but make ford pay for it.

I learned many many years ago not to take my cars to the dealer for service or repairs, there would always be another problem or the repairs were not done right. For the last 10 new cars I have bought I have taken all of them to a trusted shop for service and any repairs even under the warranty and have never had another problem since doing this.

name='rocky' timestamp='1361714439' post='1413887']

I learned many many years ago not to take my cars to the dealer for service or repairs, there would always be another problem or the repairs were not done right. For the last 10 new cars I have bought I have taken all of them to a trusted shop for service and any repairs even under the warranty and have never had another problem since doing this.

[/u]

I'm with Rocky on this. I had a 2008 H2 Hummer that was fine until I brought it to the dealer for a radiator repair. After that initial visit the truck was never the same. So many issues followed in the next year I really do not care to list them. Of course the dealer always said it was unrelated to the original problem. It was however related to the shitty workmanship and unqualified mechanics that most dealers employ. Make a long story short I finally traded it in for an 11 F-150 HD. I was very happy to get out of GM but I am very leary to take any of my vehicles to any dealers. I guess I would have to if a warranty issue came up but for general maintenance and repairs, NO WAY! Very sorry to hear that your GT500 experience has turned into this. I really feel your pain.

Just wanted to update this thread, I am on Incident #6 now and the car is constantly misfiring which is causing the check engine light to blink then stay on.

Incident number #5 was a check engine light due to a fuel pressure issue, they tried to say because I brought it in with low fuel it caused the check engine light to come on.

That really sucks. Nothing worse for a car guy than having your prized possesion constantly letting you down and in the shop. Good move on taking the legal route. Your dealership doesn't want the unwanted publiciity so you might want to contact someone at your local news station for one of those "whistle blower" segments. I'm sure they would be happy to ablige. The dealership has a responsibility to provide you with options on an issue such as this and it sounds as if their only method to help you is to be reactive and try to fix the car.... Typically what you would experience for normal situations, but since they know this situation is anything but normal they should be taking proactive steps now. Imagine how far the good publicity would go if they gave you the option for a full refund or a new vehicle to replace yours? At the end of the day they might lose a little money on the deal, but would make it up in spades on the tail end from new car sales from people who heard about the excellent service. It's not like you bought a base line Ford focus or something... Just my 2 cents.

man, sorry to hear about this. i'm paranoid about my car and would hate having to take it in for service anyway....much less have these issues pop up. sounds like they have some terrible mechanics at that dealer that should be fired since they don't know what the hell they're doing. good luck with everything. i have a feeling you'll be getting a new car.... =)

I have been doing some reading and a little research. It seams like the coils Ford uses or has used since 2010 maybe causing these issues. I am by no means a expert but I am finding other issues with people who are having constant misfires and check engine lights from their 2010 or newer Ford cars. Seams like the issues comes up after around 25-30k so many people with the Shelby's wont or dont notice yet since they keep low miles on the cars.

Like I said this is my theory and I have no credentials to back it up other than what I heard and read plus my own vehicle so don't panic and only take it at face value.

Just wanted to update this thread, I am on Incident #6 now and the car is constantly misfiring which is causing the check engine light to blink then stay on.

Incident number #5 was a check engine light due to a fuel pressure issue, they tried to say because I brought it in with low fuel it caused the check engine light to come on.

Get the regional rep involved.

What state are you in? California has a Lemon Law with some of the parameters being 15 visits to the dealer with the same problem, X days at the dealer, etc.

Your state (if not CA) may have similar laws..

Get the regional rep involved.

What state are you in? California has a Lemon Law with some of the parameters being 15 visits to the dealer with the same problem, X days at the dealer, etc.

Your state (if not CA) may have similar laws..

Yes, I am in California.

Got a Lemon Law attorney on contingency, only takes cases he thinks are sure fire wins on Lemon Laws.

I am hoping they offer me a new car which is something Ford can offer, same model but otherwise we are going for a buy back.

Yes, I am in California.

Got a Lemon Law attorney on contingency, only takes cases he thinks are sure fire wins on Lemon Laws.

I am hoping they offer me a new car which is something Ford can offer, same model but otherwise we are going for a buy back.

The California Lemon Law is pretty specific. I don't think you'd need a Attorney to flex it.

I know my 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fell under of of the parameters and when I brought that to the Service Mgr. and Owner (Don Butts), I got IMMEDIATE attention and the car finally got fixed.

Look it up. It's something like X or XX visits to the dealer for the same problem, XX (15?) days, and not necessarily consecutive days at the dealer for repairs (different or the same repairs), etc. ONE OR THE OTHER, not both...

Phill

Yeah its 30 days and 3 times. I am at around 45 days and 6 times regarding my issues which I still have with occasional weird smells. I think the catalytic converter got smoked when the catastrophic failure occurred on cylinder #7 so fuel got into the exhaust system, I have to take it back again so they can take a look at it.

I tried to escalate the issue with Ford corporate, got the local rep involved and at first they were interested in helping by getting Dearborn engineers involved then they sort of told me to get bent as the issue was "resolved" according to them after this last dealership visit.

That is why I went with the attorney, not just because it was on contingency but I felt as though all communication had broken down between me, the dealership and Ford.

When I have time later this month I am going to take the car to a different dealership to get the catalytic converter inspected and hopefully replaced if its been compromised.

I tried to escalate the issue with Ford corporate, got the local rep involved and at first they were interested in helping by getting Dearborn engineers involved then they sort of told me to get bent as the issue was "resolved" according to them after this last dealership visit.

As soon as you start citing/quoting Lemon Law, they clam up.

Anything they say WILL be used against them.

Phill

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update you guys on what's going on. We are on Incident #7 now. I took it to a different dealership since I needed a oil change in April. Also my AC had been blowing warm air and the defroster was acting erratically. My car was a quart and a half low on oil because it turns out that the valve cover and timing chain gaskets were leaking. This dealership did not want to touch the issue because it was due to the other dealership doing a bad repair. I also had to pay 169 dollars to them to check and recharge my AC which was replaced/recharged two months earlier. I had the cylinder bore scoped as well for cylinder wall scoring on Cylinder #7 because I felt as though I should check to make sure nothing was overlooked and my bill was 500 dollars to have all this inspected.

For the record it was Frontier Ford in Santa Clara that did the all the original warranty work that I had to keep taking back. They would not reimburse me for the inspection but only 169 dollars for the AC recharge/inspection.

I had contacted the corporate Ford rep I was working with and informed them of the incident and my bill. No reply. No reply either to my letter regarding a lemon law buy back so my attorney had to go forward in actually suing Ford. The have been served with papers. This is going to take months to resolve now.

To this day I still get a burning phosphors/epoxy like smell after acceleration, if it goes over 4k RPM.

One more thing was that my rear brake rotors and pads had to be replaced shortly after picking it up from the dealership after incident 7. I have no proof but I believe my car may have been abused when it was left with the dealership. I had plenty of pad life left in January and every time I picked up my car from the dealership my MPG was at 10. This leads me to believe someone was doing burnouts while holding down the brake,

Like I said I have no proof of this but its easy to put 2 and 2 together. Also if anyone is planning on buying a Shelby from Ford think twice because if you have problems you may have a hard time ever getting a resolution.

Archived