TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR Base MSRP

Motor Trend june 2007

fair artical on the GT500KR

they printed an MSRP of $53,000 est.

has anyone seen this???

I have not, but I would have guessed higher...M/T isn't known for their accuracy, either... :gang:

I don't care about the MSRP, it may as well be >$100,000 because the dealers will be asking that anyway, and I can not spend that....I got kids :baby::baby: you know, and I am not a bottomless pit of cash! They come first. ;)

The KR will be untouchable for us average joes. The SS...well....thats a little different.

different

do you think the SS will be doable for us Average Joe's?

The KR will be untouchable for us average joes. The SS...well....thats a little different.

The KR is production Ford car, and the SS package is a after market mod package from SAI, using parts produced elsewhere. The aftertmarket mod packages and a production Ford vechicle ar two totaly different things. I think 20k(estimate) and sending your car someplace to be upgraded in not realistic for the average joe, when you can get more performance from numerous other vendors for much less. It is all about the performance right, not some emblems and registry? Performance creates legacy and registries, not the other way around. Sorry to sound negative, but your car can only be born once, after that its just aftermarket mods IMO. One seeking true performance should seeks out the best parts period. I would take a KR over an SS anyday, and I do not think the total cost will differ much.

Im guessing somewhere between between $60,000 to low $70,000 for the car .. with adms being in excess of $30,000

either or .. this car will bring 6 figures and rightfully so .. since its true low production car .. it will be a collectible

The KR is production Ford car, and the SS package is a after market mod package from SAI, using parts produced elsewhere. The aftertmarket mod packages and a production Ford vechicle ar two totaly different things. I think 20k(estimate) and sending your car someplace to be upgraded in not realistic for the average joe, when you can get more performance from numerous other vendors for much less. It is all about the performance right, not some emblems and registry? Performance creates legacy and registries, not the other way around. Sorry to sound negative, but your car can only be born once, after that its just aftermarket mods IMO. One seeking true performance should seeks out the best parts period. I would take a KR over an SS anyday, and I do not think the total cost will differ much.

point taken

today it's about performance, tomorrow it will be about the registry. The more folks mod their cars, the more value the registry will have also IMO

I have to disagree with your statement that "performance creates legacy". There are cars from the '60s that are more powerful than the Shelbys but do not have NEAR the legacy that the Shelbys do. In addition, how do you explain the legacy of the Hertz Shelbys? They were not all that powerful. In addition, some people are concerned with the warranty. Lastly, which do you think would be worth more today...a 1968 Shelby that's all original with x horsepower (not sure what they were actually rated at) or a 1968 Shelby that's had lots of modifications and aftermarket parts that puts out 50 horsepower more than the all original one?

Dave

Edit: clarified wording

I have to disagree with your statement that "performance creates legacy". There are cars from the '60s that are more powerful than the Shelbys but do not have NEAR the legacy that the Shelbys do. In addition, how do you explain the legacy of the Hertz Shelbys? They were not all that powerful. In addition, some people are concerned with the warranty. Lastly, which do you think would be worth more today...a 1968 Shelby that's all original with x horsepower (not sure what they were actually rated at) or a 1968 Shelby that's had lots of modifications and aftermarket parts that puts out 50 horsepower more than the all original one?

Dave

Edit: clarified wording

The early Shelbies are worth more because Shelby was funded by Ford for racing. In 69 the Boss program took over the Tram AM bid. Notice the price difference on the 69/70 Shelbies versus the earlier years. It is the linkage to racing is what makes the early Shelbies and the Boss cars worth more. The Trans AM series also had a limit on cubes(ie GT350R and Boss 302). People could get pretty close to a steet legal race car, in those days. The racing heritage and that the cars were built with racing and winning in mind is the heritage that set these car above the rest. On your second point the original car would be worth more, which is why I said I would want the KR over the SS. The KR is an original production car.

Yes, but to A.D.'s point, the Shelby definitely has a mystique to it that few other names have ever held, and the new generation of cars just re-affirms their value--40 years after the originals.

There are other, non-winning muscle cars from the 60s that are very valuable now.

Also, what 13 year old kid wouldn't want to own one of these cars??? The stripes/scoops/horsepower/sound would put any teenage boy into overload. They are the future of auto collecting.

Trends are tricky, though. Who knows what any of this iron will be worth in 30 years for sure?

30 years from now, I may be dead, but you would never wipe the smile off my face! :hysterical:

The early Shelbies are worth more because Shelby was funded by Ford for racing. In 69 the Boss program took over the Tram AM bid. Notice the price difference on the 69/70 Shelbies versus the earlier years. It is the linkage to racing is what makes the early Shelbies and the Boss cars worth more. The Trans AM series also had a limit on cubes(ie GT350R and Boss 302). People could get pretty close to a steet legal race car, in those days. The racing heritage and that the cars were built with racing and winning in mind is the heritage that set these car above the rest. On your second point the original car would be worth more, which is why I said I would want the KR over the SS. The KR is an original production car.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I see no way that a '60s Shelby with an Edelbrock intake manifold, aftermarket valve covers, an electric fan, an Edelbrock carburetor, and a Lunati cam would be worth nearly as much as an all-original Shelby.

AD

One seeking true performance should seeks out the best parts period. I would take a KR over an SS anyday, and I do not think the total cost will differ much.

I think the SS is going to be a beast of a performer when compared to a KR. If you think that performance is the biggest consideration, I think the SS is the way to go. IMO

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I see no way that a '60s Shelby with an Edelbrock intake manifold, aftermarket valve covers, an electric fan, an Edelbrock carburetor, and a Lunati cam would be worth nearly as much as an all-original Shelby.

AD

Dave, it doesn't matter if you can't afford either, and bolt on parts that only increase power are not frowned upon if the original parts are still with the owner IMO

AD

I agreed that the originals were worth more. I think you misread my post.

I have not, but I would have guessed higher...M/T isn't known for their accuracy, either... :gang:

I don't care about the MSRP, it may as well be >$100,000 because the dealers will be asking that anyway, and I can not spend that....I got kids :baby::baby: you know, and I am not a bottomless pit of cash! They come first. ;)

I totally agree. I have read the Motor Trend article. I also think their $53,000 estimate is on the low side. But in the real world, this is irrelevant. Whether the MSRP is $53K, $63K, $73K or $100K, the actual price people will pay for the car will remain about the same.

ADMs occur because enough people percieve the value of a product as being above its MSRP, provided that production is limited. Suppose Ferrari decided to sell the exact same cars they currently sell for $200K MSRP, reducing MSRP to only $50K without increasing production numbers. There would be huge ADMs bringing the actual purchase price of Ferraris close to their current MSRP, since they already sell out at their current price.

The same rationale will apply to the KR; "low" MSRP won't make it any more affordable to the average buyer.

I know I am getting a bit off topic here but if I was in charge of pricing at Ford, I would try to price the KR so that all 1000 KR sell at about MSRP. All Ford does when it sells a car at an MSRP well below its perceived value to the customer is shifting profits from itself to its dealers, and we're talking significant money. Take the 2007 GT500 as an exemple. On average, I am pretty sure they sold for at least 10K over MSRP (maybe a bit more) for a production of about 10,000 car (maybe a bit less). That's about $100 MILLIONS ($10K ADM x 10K cars) that Ford left on the table and we, as customers, did not benefit (with a few exceptions), because there were enough of us willing to pay more for the car than what Ford was asking for. Not that I care that much about who's making the profit, but you would think that Ford would use any available opportunity to improve its bottom line.

Ford NEEDS those profits...the dealers are pillaging and dont contribute much of anything back to the buyers. Usually i just get shafted on a trade or overcharged for dealer add ons. Look who profits at the dealers...usually only the owners!

If I can get a KR for 70-80K sign me up. Black with Gold Stripes. Nothing less than 600HP!

Anything over that is Porsche 911, Z06, and M5 range.

Archived