TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Batteries

I walked out to the garage this past weekend to work on my 07 Whipple supercharged SGT and the car was dead! I guess it is time for a new battery! Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to a brand?

Thanks

TNTChria

Ya know, I was just thinking it might be time for a battery soon, and I considered my usual Die Hard candidates, a new Optima... then I realized I've had my original Motorcraft battery since buying the car in April of 2007, surviving 3 winters in NY and almost 4 years out here in the desert (known for killing batteries). I checked www.fordparts.com and it's less than $100.

Easy choice for me!

Jer

Motorcraft for me had good luck with these batteriies ( 9yrs for my F-150 )

WOW......

Jer

Motorcraft for me had good luck with these batteriies ( 9yrs for my F-150 )

Whatever Dodge put in my Ram1500 in 2004 lasted me until January. 8.5 years on a vehicle that is always parked outside.

If we'd been in a warmer climate it would have gone longer, I just gave up during the cold spell at Stock Show time since it was having trouble turning over when it was about 5*F. It was a preemptive move, could probably have gotten by for longer but decided I'd gotten long enough out of it.

Whatever Dodge put in my Ram1500 in 2004 lasted me until January. 8.5 years on a vehicle that is always parked outside.

If we'd been in a warmer climate it would have gone longer, I just gave up during the cold spell at Stock Show time since it was having trouble turning over when it was about 5*F. It was a preemptive move, could probably have gotten by for longer but decided I'd gotten long enough out of it.

Interesting. Must have been the same battery that was in my wife's Crossfire. I just replaced the battery last month in that 2004 also. It was a Mopar battery and it was date coded from 2004, so original.

I've got everyone beat. I have a Sears DieHard in my John Deere garden tractor, the original battery. Its a 1991 (yes 1991) model.

I'd still go with Motorcraft for my Mustang, however. I like to stay FORD.

Are these cars positive or negative grounded? I'm trying to figure out for the battery tender grounding instructions.

I believe the last car Ford made positive ground was in 1955. There were some tractors after that, but no cars. Your car is absolutely negative ground for the tender instructions.

I believe the last car Ford made positive ground was in 1955. There were some tractors after that, but no cars. Your car is absolutely negative ground for the tender instructions.

That was my thinking, thanks for confirming it. Looks like the Cetek charger calls for the negative clamp to be connected somewhere on the chassis or the engine block, not the negative post when the battery is in the car. I have been doing so up until now. :drop:

I have used Batttery Tenders for years use them on all my cars even in summer if cars is sitting more than 2-3 days, Get anaverage of 8-20 years out of batteies. My 2000 BMW m3 is on its original battery will cahnge this srping battery still good but playing with fire here. Buy my Tenders off Amazon

That was my thinking, thanks for confirming it. Looks like the Cetek charger calls for the negative clamp to be connected somewhere on the chassis or the engine block, not the negative post when the battery is in the car. I have been doing so up until now. :drop:

There is nothing wrong with clamping to the battery posts for both positive and negative. I'm not sure why you would do it any other way other than ease of clamping.

There is nothing wrong with clamping to the battery posts for both positive and negative. I'm not sure why you would do it any other way other than ease of clamping.

Other than my tendency to slavishly follow the instructions of the manufacturers/designers of this kind of product, there's no good reason other than avoiding a spark in the area of battery vents, where explosive gases might be within range. Do modern batteries vent?

On my four (four) different S197s there is a chassis grounding point with a clean wire terminal attached within just a few inches - easy tender cable reach - sort of southeast of the battery, if north is the car's rear.

The tender I have insists it goes into de-sulfating mode once the battery is fully charged, and joyously signals entry into that mode by constantly flashing its green light. It might take a day or two to get there, but is is reassuring to look into the dark garage and see its advice.

Once the tender has become part of the parking and covering ritual, it becomes a thirty- or forty-second portion of each episode.

I had "dead" battery experiences on each of the earlier cars (2006, 2008, 2009) but none on the 2013, Knocking wood. I conject that Mr Ford finally saw fit to reinforce the charging and storage systems, possibly motivated by the panoply of electrical appliances depending on them. The Navigation/Electronics option has many functions that are apparently intended to be in operation while the engine is not running. Everything on the car except the engine turns itself off, eventually, but it also has a number of functions that turn themselves on if you so much as open a door.

Any road, yea on the mattery binder, uh, tattery bender. You know what I mean.

• 5 years later...

I just tried starting #5671 to run her for a while before the Five'easter shows up tomorrow morning.......

D E A D!!! Totally dead......even the window don't drop to open the door. Had to use the key as well.

I must say, my car was built in May 2007 I believe, and the battery is the absolute original! In my entire life, I have NEVER seen a battery go (just a month shy) of 11 years! Unreal.

Oh, and one more thing, the red light is ON too. I have never seen that either. Usually when these things totally shyt the bed, the green light is still on. :doh: 

One last expense before I advertise the car. Oh well, might help sell it. :shrug:

Archived