TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3:90 Motive Gears

When in question about 3:73 gears or 4:10 Gears from Ford Racing. Why not split the difference and go with the 3:90 Gears from Motive. Can anybody share some knowledge regarding Motive Gears (3:90)and why they would or would not go with these when debating 3:73 or 4:10 Gears from Ford????

When in question about 3:73 gears or 4:10 Gears from Ford Racing. Why not split the difference and go with the 3:90 Gears from Motive. Can anybody share some knowledge regarding Motive Gears (3:90)and why they would or would not go with these when debating 3:73 or 4:10 Gears from Ford????

I had planned on going with the 390's as it would be a great compromise and much more noticed than 355's compared 373's being to close to 355's to make much difference. I talked to the people that installed my 410's and they told me that 390's many times whine as they are not american made where as 355,373 and 410's can be bought from several U.S. manufactures so i decided to go with Fordracing 410's. I am glad i did as i have no whine and can feel a great difference in the power compared to the 355's. There is no American manufacture of 390's that i am aware of but if ford racing made 390's then i believe they would be a great success.

There are some parts on my car that I will only replace with FRPP parts - a gear if one of them. Why not use a gear that was made at a ford plant like our stock gears? No whine, no problem.

Ford Racing just put this out on YouTube, great watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMIXjvfBkM

I had my local Ford Dealer install my 3.73's and the tech had just done two GT500s with the Motive 3.90 gears and he hated them. He had an awful time setting them up and could never get them dialed in like he wanted so they whine considerably compared to 3.73's or 4.10's. Totally spit balling here but there has to be a reason Ford doesn't offer the 3.90 gear and my guess is they've had similar issues in testing. I wish it would work as the 3.90 is a nice fit between the stock 3.55 and the 4.10's.

Archived