TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OEM Eagle F1 tires for your KR

dvups1

Thanks for the info. I see that you are in a warmer climate... I still like to drive my car even when it is 40-50 degrees outside... and notice a HUGE difference in performance with the tires in hot/cold. Are you pleased with the Hankooks on cool days?

Next stupid question... anyone purchase tires like this from tirerack.com, or similar? Have you been pleased with their service and installers? Years ago I had a Porsche and had NTB install tires and they marred the heck out of my rims...

Best regards,

Rick

Yes, I've driven them on cool days and hard rain, I'm very satisfied.

I got mine from Tirerack, and had them shipped directly to my preferred installer, who also happens to be on their list of qualified installers. (Custom Alignment in Mt. View CA)

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new set of sneakers soon and I also wanted something "stickier". I'm a little hard out of the gate. I have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear all over the roadway near me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I get a set of Nito NT555 ZR tires installed tonight after a lot of thought regarding my driving habits. I actually like to drive my 09 GT 500KR daily... and sometimes that means cold weather/rain. However the majority of my driving is on sunny warm days and the F1's just don't stick well at all.

I was going 40-50mph on a road with a minor bend to it and suddenly the car broke loose (not shifting) and did a 360 with F1 tires, cool weather (40 degrees?) and slightly damp roads in the early morning mist. These tires are about 5 yrs old and at the time about 6000 miles on them. The tire compound seems VERY stiff... I'd imagine that soft compound tires don't age as nicely as harder compound tires.

I'll report back once I have a few hundred miles on these... but according to hundreds of owners of this tire they rate well in rain/cool weather and stick very well on dry days.

All of the best,

Rick

Well, in picking up the car after tire installation I could not even get any wheel spin even when I tried.. WOW, wish I had tossed the F1's when I bought this car, because, quite frankly, it seemed that Shelby built a car that was a bit much for the tires. The Nitto tires are amazing. NOW, I have tires that live up to the car! THREE different police cars greeted and followed me on my 8 mile drive home! Damn...

oh, and they were like $800-900 for a set mounted up, balanced and aligned at my local Ford dealer! About the same price as tirerack and all the other discount places.

I do appreciate the guidance here.

Best Regards,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in picking up the car after tire installation I could not even get any wheel spin even when I tried.. WOW, wish I had tossed the F1's when I bought this car, because, quite frankly, it seemed that Shelby built a car that was a bit much for the tires. The Nitto tires are amazing. NOW, I have tires that live up to the car! THREE different police cars greeted and followed me on my 8 mile drive home! Damn...

oh, and they were like $800-900 for a set mounted up, balanced and aligned at my local Ford dealer! About the same price as tirerack and all the other discount places.

I do appreciate the guidance here.

Best Regards,

Rick

Glad you found something to your liking, now you can enjoy your car that much more.

Archived