TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OEM Eagle F1 tires for your KR

dvups1

I don't have any affiliation with this company, but if you are looking for stock KR tires the SP version is the one to order from this site at $99 per tire. I ordered the rears because at the time, I was told the fronts were not available. Now the website has the front and rear.

http://www.onlinetires.com/search/vehicle/tires/goodyear/5286/all_prices/all_sizes/all_tires/all_speeds/page_1.html

Mine were $235 shipped to my door.

I don't have any affiliation with this company, but if you are looking for stock KR tires the SP version is the one to order from this site at $99 per tire. I ordered the rears because at the time, I was told the fronts were not available. Now the website has the front and rear.

http://www.onlinetir...eds/page_1.html

Mine were $235 shipped to my door.

Do you have a direct link to the OEM KR tires? All I see are the RETAIL versions.

Steve

Thanks for posting this. I have a question for the group. If these are OEM tires specifically for the KR (which the winged foot tells us, right?), then aren't these tires already 5 years old? I thought as a special run they haven't made these specific Eagle F1 Supercar tires since our KRs were made.

Have these been sitting in avwarehouse for the past 5 years? If yes, what is the remaining life on them? I'm not talking tread, of course, but rather the rubber breaking down. How much longer are these tires good for? I'd love to pick up a set for less than $500 but will they break down or be unsafe? Just curious to know...

Yes, they have been sitting around for that long. That is why they are so cheap. They will tell you when you call and order. I checked the date stamp. I can't remember off hand but it was from back when the cars were produced. I'll post a picture of the date stamp. I am not worried because I don't race or track my KR. I rarely ever get over the speed limit. I firgue they are fine for the occasional drive and show.

I have a set on the car now that I bought at the Shelby $99 special a few years ago. I had to replace 1 tire last summer due to a nail in it and I paid almost as much for 1 replacement as I did for 4 @ 99! A spare set sounds good to me..

09 mfg date, most mfg say 6 years to sell, 2015 and I'll probably put them on in a year......I'm good. BTW, who's to say that the tires you pay full price for at the local tire store haven't been sitting on the shelf for 2-3 years? Kind of like when I went to put spark plugs in my son's 1973 Jensen Healey.....I called the parts house and they said yeah, we got 'em in stock. I was a bit surprised, but when they brought them out, they were covered in a 1/4 inch layer of dust. "Not much call for these, huh?" I suspect most tire stores have a limited stock of our size tires and what you get may have been on the shelf for a while........I'm good with the 09 mfg date.

What is meant by “tire aging”?

The structural integrity of a tire can degrade over an extended period of time. When that occurs, tires are more prone to catastrophic failure, which could, at best, cause an inconvenience, or, at worst, lead to a crash. The degradation of a tire occurs over time, mostly the result of a chemical reaction within the rubber components. That aging process can be accelerated by heat and sunlight.

Does climate have an effect on the aging of tires?

NHTSA research suggests that tires age faster in warmer climates. Exposure to high ambient temperatures can accelerate the tire aging process, which could contribute to tire failures, including tread separations. Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use can hasten the aging process.

Are some vehicles more prone to tire aging problems?

Tire aging is generally not an issue with vehicles that are driven regularly. Tires will wear out and need to be replaced before aging becomes a safety concern. But those with occasional use - like recreational vehicles or collector cars, for example - could be susceptible. The spares on all vehicles also are prone to aging problems because they seldom get used or replaced. In those instances, the structural integrity of the tire may be weakened - and potentially hazardous - even though the tire still has a great deal of remaining tread.

When does NHTSA recommend that tires should be replaced?

While tire life will ultimately depend on the tires’ service conditions and the environment in which they operate, there are some general guidelines. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years regardless of use. In addition, a number of tire manufacturers cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tires. Check the owner’s manual for specific recommendations for your vehicle. Remember, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you suspect your vehicle has tires that are over six years of age.

Is it a significant safety problem?

Most failures result in nothing more serious than minor property damage. For more serious crashes, NHTSA estimates that about 400 fatalities annually may have been attributed to tire failures.

Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years regardless of use. In addition, a number of tire manufacturers cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tires.

Darn, my previous comment included "corporate liability attorneys" in addition to the marketing tactics, but I removed it for simplicity sake. Corporate liability exposure is what partially drives those recommendations. They are always going to err to the side of conservative with those product life recommendations.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between stock GT500 tires and stock GT500KR tires?

The KR F-1 "Winged Boot" tires are a softer compound so they grip better, at the price of longevity (they wear faster).

I know mine grip like glue, when the roads are hot. On cold roads, they are WAY worse than my OEM 19" Goodyear F-1's that came on my 2010.

Phill

The "Winged Boot" tires on the KR have a 180 treadwear vs the GT500 which has a 220 treadwear. Tirerack.com explains all these ratings. In short, the lower the treadwear number, the more rubber and less compounds you have in the tire. Better grip but don't last as long.

I went with the Nitto 05R on the rear. Kept the stock tires up front for now. Very happy with the NT05R. Treadwear rating is only 100...so tires won't last too long. But grip like crazy.

You can have them bricks...

I've got Hankook Ventus Evo K12, 275/40/18 on all 4 corners...and they are great regardless of the environment, at the track, in the rain (120+mph on the autobahn), even in the cold.

My son has them on his Bullitt now, and when the B2 needs new shoes, it'll get the same as well.

You can have them bricks...

I've got Hankook Ventus Evo K12, 275/40/18 on all 4 corners...and they are great regardless of the environment, at the track, in the rain (120+mph on the autobahn), even in the cold.

My son has them on his Bullitt now, and when the B2 needs new shoes, it'll get the same as well.

I was wondering what others were doing when they went away from the Goodyears. They are a better tire than the standard GT500 tire. Anyone else have a different tire?

• 2 weeks later...

JUST the topic I was searching for. I have a 2009 GT500KR that I push to the limits... the tires are really the only issue that I have with this car. I have owned it for about a year now and drive it weekly...

Any suggestions on tires that stick better? When shifting and really pushing her the back end breaks loose often... and from 0-60 run the tires just don't like to stick.

Suggestions? My tires are pretty shot...and am shopping for new ones. Any other tires fit besides the factory Eagle F1's?

Anyone put some weight in the trunk?

All of the best,

Rick

I was wondering what others were doing when they went away from the Goodyears. They are a better tire than the standard GT500 tire. Anyone else have a different tire?

in addition to the Hankooks Ventus Evo K12's that I mentioned, I have a number of friends running Michelin Pilot Sports, and they are very satisfied (and these are track guys)

JUST the topic I was searching for. I have a 2009 GT500KR that I push to the limits... the tires are really the only issue that I have with this car. I have owned it for about a year now and drive it weekly...

Any suggestions on tires that stick better? When shifting and really pushing her the back end breaks loose often... and from 0-60 run the tires just don't like to stick.

Suggestions? My tires are pretty shot...and am shopping for new ones. Any other tires fit besides the factory Eagle F1's?

Anyone put some weight in the trunk?

All of the best,

Rick

see above reply

Thanks for the info. I see that you are in a warmer climate... I still like to drive my car even when it is 40-50 degrees outside... and notice a HUGE difference in performance with the tires in hot/cold. Are you pleased with the Hankooks on cool days?

Next stupid question... anyone purchase tires like this from tirerack.com, or similar? Have you been pleased with their service and installers? Years ago I had a Porsche and had NTB install tires and they marred the heck out of my rims...

Best regards,

Rick

Archived