TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

we have about 20k of track miles on our 07 SGT. replaced the tranny 2 years ago with the new MagnumXL. The 4.6 with the 2.6 KB has been going strong, but I have my sites set on a new engine in the next couple years or sooner. Can anyone say 5.2L Shelby Forged block?! 570hp! Naturally aspirated flat plane? Yes, it was just recently announced, and it will be ours someday soon. Should I wait till the 4.6 fails or do the swap sooner? only 30k miles on the original engine now so I have the time I hope.

I've been waiting for that 5.2 crate engine for awhile and finally got Ford to say sometime in Spring it will be available, but the 5.2 crate engine will NOT have the flat-plane crank its exclusive to the GT350 cars only. Ford had said the 5.2 crate engine will use the Boss 302 crank but they can always change their mind until it actually goes on sale. If you've seen any online article that says the 5.2 crate will use the flat-plane crank post the link on here

I say go for the swap but if you want the 5.2 then wait for it. I was never a fan of the 4.6 and its performance is limited compared to the 5.0 Coyote and 5.2 which right now you can take a Coyote slap a Whipple on there and be in the 700hp range easily and you are never getting that from the 4.6. I was all ready to do an engine swap in my 2008 GT/SC because in the last 7 years you had the 5.4 making great power and some switched to Whipple's on there and made big power. Then the 5.0 Coyote came out and they quickly found out whether Turbo or Whipplecharged the Coyote was making stupid HP, then Ford put the 5.8 w/ 662hp in the GT500 and I was like damn this sucks I wish I had this kind of power in my 2008 Shelby. My GT/SC is my favorite Mustang I own and would never sell it so instead of buying a GT500 w/ the 5.8 or a new GT350 w/ the 5.2 I decided to do an engine swap which costs a lot less than a new car. For a long time I was looking for the 5.8 from a 13-14 GT500 but they're too hard to find so I was ready to build a 5.4 until early fall when Ford said they will sell the 5.2 in a crate engine so I decided to wait and see what this engine is and its almost January so I think I can wait a couple more months. All 07-08 Shelby GT's are sleepers because they weigh what 400-500lbs less than a GT500 and that weight difference on the track is huge. Imagine our GT's with the same or more HP than the newer cars they will be like WTF dude that thing has a 4.6 how are you so fast and you just hahahaha

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say go for the swap but if you want the 5.2 then wait for it. I was never a fan of the 4.6 and its performance is limited compared to the 5.0 Coyote and 5.2 which right now you can take a Coyote slap a Whipple on there and be in the 700hp range easily and you are never getting that from the 4.6

39, that is simply not true. I'm making over 700hp crank with the 3V without even trying very hard. Any engine you put in it is going to need race gas past that point anyway. FWIW, the 4.6 3V can make more HP than the 5.0 Coyote. The only advantage to the coyote imo, is that it's easier to make HP due to the higher compression, which can easily be changed on the 3V as well.

39, that is simply not true. I'm making over 700hp crank with the 3V without even trying very hard. Any engine you put in it is going to need race gas past that point anyway. FWIW, the 4.6 3V can make more HP than the 5.0 Coyote. The only advantage to the coyote imo, is that it's easier to make HP due to the higher compression, which can easily be changed on the 3V as well.

Wasn't my opinion was going by what a couple of the top performance shops told me and there is a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo beyond my brain involved with it, plus depends on what you are using the car for and how reliable that HP is for that specific event.

How'd you get 700hp from your 4.6?

Wasn't my opinion was going by what a couple of the top performance shops told me and there is a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo beyond my brain involved with it, plus depends on what you are using the car for and how reliable that HP is for that specific event.

How'd you get 700hp from your 4.6?

Well it's a built short block to begin with so there's no worry about snapping rods which the stock 3V is known for. The Paxton can produce alot of horsepower. I'm running the smallest pulley possible so the blower is maxed out. I've run it on road courses with no issues. When I first put it on, it was overheating on the track, but I cut that plastic pos grille out and that solved it. I also have other mods like FRPP intake, throttle body, and a huge FMIC. It all does help, but if you consider I'm running FRPP hot rod cams, and stock valve train which are limitations, 700HP is doing pretty good. Doesn't hurt that Justin at VMP is one hell of a tuner.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's a built short block to begin with so there's no worry about snapping rods which the stock 3V is known for. The Paxton can produce alot of horsepower. I'm running the smallest pulley possible so the blower is maxed out. I've run it on road courses with no issues. When I first put it on, it was overheating on the track, but I cut that plastic pos grille out and that solved it. I also have other mods like FRPP intake, throttle body, and a huge FMIC. It all does help, but if you consider I'm running FRPP hot rod cams, and stock valve train which are limitations, 700HP is doing pretty good. Doesn't hurt that Justin at VMP is one hell of a tuner.

Did you get your T/R hood on your car? :camera:

Did you get your T/R hood on your car? :camera:

Yes, I did and I love it. It took several months for them to make it, but it almost took that long for me to get the vinyl stripes off anyway. It was worth the wait. Old hood scoop is hanging on the wall now for memorabilia. I need to get some pics up but I haven't found the perfect spot to take some pics. The guy did a good job with the design of the stripes on the hood, but he got carried away with the over spray. I'm going to have to live with it because right after I had it painted I moved 1500 miles to sunny Florida.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you going to make it to Thunder Hill in two weeks? I will be there is support not driving this time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since I've posted on here... but thought I'd return with some interesting news.

SGT1020 has been hitting the track since 2014. She's now being converted to a full blown caged race car to join our Boss 302R "Thor" in the stable as a serious piece of hardware.

Thought I'd post up some recent pictures for everyone to enjoy, and so that everyone can see that there's other Shelby's out there that would make Carroll proud :cool:

IMG_0293.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.49.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.52.57 PM.png

It's been quite some time since I've posted on here... but thought I'd return with some interesting news.

SGT1020 has been hitting the track since 2014. She's now being converted to a full blown caged race car to join our Boss 302R "Thor" in the stable as a serious piece of hardware.

Thought I'd post up some recent pictures for everyone to enjoy, and so that everyone can see that there's other Shelby's out there that would make Carroll proud :cool:

WOW Brandon ! You've stepped up to the plate on the SGT! Looks great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived