TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guys are at Buttonwillow today getting in some seat time. Temps are in the 90s - near 100 degrees. Sure hope they both have been hydrating for the last couple of days! Qualifying is tomorrow and it's suppose to be hotter!

The guys are at Buttonwillow today getting in some seat time. Temps are in the 90s - near 100 degrees. Sure hope they both have been hydrating for the last couple of days! Qualifying is tomorrow and it's suppose to be hotter!

Ouch! Best of luck to them in the next race.

Russ qualified 7th overall / 3rd in class with a 2:05.6 fastest lap time. Qualifying was @ 4:00PM air temp was a kiss over 100 degrees and the track temp was around 140 degrees - plus gusty winds. I'm leaving for T-hill @ 4:00AM tomorrow. Good luck guys - turn it up!

Russ qualified 7th overall / 3rd in class with a 2:05.6 fastest lap time. Qualifying was @ 4:00PM air temp was a kiss over 100 degrees and the track temp was around 140 degrees - plus gusty winds. I'm leaving for T-hill @ 4:00AM tomorrow. Good luck guys - turn it up!

Seems pretty good , specially with the late qualifying time & hottest part of the day.

Russ in 07SGT2425 just finished 2nd in the T2 class (4th overall in the group) with a fastest lap time of 2:04.750. First in T2 was Qualls in a Corvette.

Superb,

Hats off to the driver (RP) and the builders (KP & JJ)

The cars of Bailey and Marvosh which finished in front of Russ on Saturday didn't make it to Sunday's race. Russ ran strong despite having been dehydrated on Thursday and getting sick. He only got a couple of hours of sleep on Wednesday but hung in there and kept getting better through the weekend. 07SGT2425 held together with the exception of the breather hose coming off of the transmission vent - sending tranny oil all over the underside of the car after the race on Saturday. JJ had to come through in the heat to keep the car together and also keep the driver up to the challenge. Job well done by both. Next US Majors race is in a couple of weeks in Washington (Memorial Day weekend) so it's still going to be a time crunch/pressure cooker. I'm dropping from the regional race in two weeks so that we can focus on getting all that needs to be done on the car. With only 2 race weekends left and Russ being in second place we'll need to be on our game for the remainder. We would like to win the western conference in the Shelby since it's the 50th anniversary of the GT350R's SCCA National Championship. My season will just have to wait for now.

Decided to make some changes on 07SGT4755 today - took the wing(a-ding) off of the trunk lid and took it over to the bodyshop and told them to fill the holes - I'm going to put on the KR rear spoiler.

We found in 07SGT2425 that the R/F spindle had opened up the hole where the ball joint stud goes through - needless to say, this is where the vibration was coming from that Russ felt during the last part of the race on Sunday. We also found some problems with the Jongbloed wheels. We are currently in second place in the Western Conference with only Pacific Raceways and Portland International Raceway to go.

Picked up the trunk lid and spoiler today - looks great with the stripes. I'll have to wait until this rare rainfall in California stops to put it on. I'll try and get some pics of the new look of 07SGT4755.

Heading out to Pacific Raceway up in Washington to crew for Russ and 07SGT2425 in the SCCA US Majors race this upcoming Memorial Day weekend. Had Jongbloed Wheels do the fix to the wheels (the manufacturer from which they get them from never machined the lug nut seat area on any of the wheels and the newer ones had a ball seat shape in the castings that is even worse) so we hope that will end the issues with the wheels and lug nuts - we'll see. This weekend races are a big one with us being in second place and being in Washington - we're taking the rain tires.

:yahoo: Russ won both races and is now in first place in the Western Conference of the SCCA US Majors Tour in the Touring 2 class category in 07SGT2425. In the second race he actually lapped second place T2 finisher Nicole Jacque just before taking the checkered flag. Russ' lap times got down to 1:34.320 by the end of the weekend. The Shelby and Russ did great and he is now sitting in first place by 42 points over Christopher Qualls with only one final race weekend to go on Fourth of July weekend at Portland International Raceway. Al he has to do is finish the first race and we clinch the championship for the western conference. After finishing in second last year this will make it even better for Russ and 07SGT2425. :victory:

Next outing is June 4th through 7th @ Laguna Seca. We'll see if I take 07SGT4755 to the SCCA double regional race then. As far as Russ and 07SGT2425 the next outing is @ PIR for the final round of the SCCA US Majors Tour in the west.

I've decided to make some changes to 07SGT4755 which will go along with changing SCCA class categories but will put it more towards what I believe will be more Shelby orientated. It will be more of a mix between a Shelby GT and a KR which would display what could have been a Shelby GT-R if SAI would have built one. The front fascia will go back to a Shelby GT one with a splitter, black side rocker panels like a KR, a KR rear spoiler instead of a wing, Brembo 4 piston front brakes, but I'll stay with the Tiger Racing heat extractor hood. I'm thinking of going to a 6 speed transmission but use the updated Magnum XL instead of the KR/TR6060. We'll see what happens.

I've decided to make some changes to 07SGT4755 which will go along with changing SCCA class categories but will put it more towards what I believe will be more Shelby orientated. It will be more of a mix between a Shelby GT and a KR which would display what could have been a Shelby GT-R if SAI would have built one. The front fascia will go back to a Shelby GT one with a splitter, black side rocker panels like a KR, a KR rear spoiler instead of a wing, Brembo 4 piston front brakes, but I'll stay with the Tiger Racing heat extractor hood. I'm thinking of going to a 6 speed transmission but use the updated Magnum XL instead of the KR/TR6060. We'll see what happens.

I'm Sold !

Parts for the class change for 07SGT4755 have started to arrive and it's starting to make the transition. I should have it ready for the next SCCA regional race. Hopefully most of it will be done before we leave for Portland to lock up the Western Conference of the SCCA US Majors Tour in Touring 2 with Russ and 07SGT2425.

I believe that the TS members will like what they see when the cosmetic changes are done

I'll be the judge of that.... LOL

Jer

Guess who bought a set of those special KR style painted Alcoa wheels ... :cool:

My powdercoated prototypes?

Jer

Yep ! SAI was selling them on their E-bay store.

Very few people know what those were. They found them on the shelf after I left, just put them on eBay.... great story behind those, I'll post details sometime.

Jer

Archived