TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viper,

Radicals are fun and low costs as far as motor stuff being that it's a motorcycle motor but everything else is not cheap , Panoz has a much more expensive operating costs and neither of them are a SHELBY! :victory:

Viper,

Radicals are fun and low costs as far as motor stuff being that it's a motorcycle motor but everything else is not cheap , Panoz has a much more expensive operating costs and neither of them are a SHELBY! :victory:

Thanks for the input. In my attempt to get back on the track, but keep the cost down I think the Radical might be the way to go. Either that or go get a track bike again.... which would be stupid because I sold my track bike because I was thinking about my young daughters while leaning over at 130+mph: clearly NOT the way to do a track day. The car idea has merit, but which one to pursue is going to take some thought. I could put my Shelby on the track, however I can't get comfortable with the idea of damaging the car. We'll see.....

Not a good first outing for Russ and 07SGT2425 - At the start of the first race a FP Lotus Super 7 decided to turn into Russ on the front straight away just before crossing the start/finish line and took him into the dirt. Needless to say - we are pissed!!!!attachicon.gifIMG_3217.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3221.jpg

Sorry to see the damage... I know exactly how you feel! Also, eerily similar to my damage.

photo.jpg

Side.jpg

Well.... that's racing. Sucks for sure. On a separate note, I think I have decided not to put my Shelby on the track as it is too nice to do track days with. All it takes is one idiot doing something stupid and my baby would be damaged. So I've started to look at used race cars. Been thinking about picking up one of these:

:whistling:

Thanks for the input. In my attempt to get back on the track, but keep the cost down I think the Radical might be the way to go. Either that or go get a track bike again.... which would be stupid because I sold my track bike because I was thinking about my young daughters while leaning over at 130+mph: clearly NOT the way to do a track day. The car idea has merit, but which one to pursue is going to take some thought. I could put my Shelby on the track, however I can't get comfortable with the idea of damaging the car. We'll see.....

Time to find a Shelby salvage vehicle! a.k.a. Hurricane 2 :whistling:

Sorry to see the damage... I know exactly how you feel! Also, eerily similar to my damage.

photo.jpg

Side.jpg

:whistling:

Peter,Peter,Peter - you just had to bring that up - Yes , I will have some expensive wall art which will match yours (excluding the autographs)!

Well, 07SGT2425 is in the trailer and headed to Washington to race this weekend @ Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington in the US Majors Tour. Look for us in group 7 - we'll be racing in the T2 category class with Russ Peterson at the wheel.

There is a guy selling one of these as well... along with trailer, extra body work, wheels, tires, parts, etc. Everything you need to plug and play. Tempting.....

http://www.radicaleastusa.com/radical-models/

Am I completely NUTZ?

Yep, certifiable. Have you ever taken a look at http://rehagenracingproducts.com. They always seem to have turn-key race and or track days cars available.

Mark

Yep, certifiable. Have you ever taken a look at http://rehagenracingproducts.com. They always seem to have turn-key race and or track days cars available.

Mark

Definitely looked at their stuff before. Its an overall cost issue that I'm trying to keep in mind for wearable items, refreshing motors, body and chassis parts, etc. I'm trying to keep to a budget and most of their cars are pricey compared to what I'm looking at. Really not sure what direction I'm headed at this point... it's early.

Definitely looked at their stuff before. Its an overall cost issue that I'm trying to keep in mind for wearable items, refreshing motors, body and chassis parts, etc. I'm trying to keep to a budget and most of their cars are pricey compared to what I'm looking at. Really not sure what direction I'm headed at this point... it's early.

Just get your story right BEFORE you tell the wife ! :drop:

RP (Real Price) verses WP (Wife Price) is a risky but do-able "exchange rate" but you must keep your eye on the commodities. :sandbox::hysterical2:

Just get your story right BEFORE you tell the wife ! :drop:

RP (Real Price) verses WP (Wife Price) is a risky but do-able "exchange rate" but you must keep your eye on the commodities. :sandbox::hysterical2:

RP and WP in our house is usually about the same number (fortunately). My tactic usually starts with planting the seed very early, slowly wearing her down, and then pounce when the time is right. The issue is then she does the same thing to me about something she wants... Which is why I have to bear that in mind when I go out and make a large purchase! :spend:

I totally understand. I keep having the same pangs of desire to go racing, like Albino, in a SPEC Mustang. Even if I had to run it in T2 out here in the Midwest. But, the minute I start looking at the Borelli Motorsports website or Rehagen Racing or searching Ebay for a used Mustang to fit the bill and my wife sees me, the question from her is "whatcha looking at" followed by twirling her wedding ring on her finger. My cost to go racing would start at around 5 carets of diamond.

Mark

I totally understand. I keep having the same pangs of desire to go racing, like Albino, in a SPEC Mustang. Even if I had to run it in T2 out here in the Midwest. But, the minute I start looking at the Borelli Motorsports website or Rehagen Racing or searching Ebay for a used Mustang to fit the bill and my wife sees me, the question from her is "whatcha looking at" followed by twirling her wedding ring on her finger. My cost to go racing would start at around 5 carats of diamond.

Mark

Actually (coming from the guy who has done it) that's a cheap initial expense (trust me - more jewelry comes after the initial purchase) so all that I can say is -

Pull the Trigger ! :cool:

Actually (coming from the guy who has done it) that's a cheap initial expense (trust me - more jewelry comes after the initial purchase) so all that I can say is -

Pull the Trigger ! :cool:

OK, now you just trying to get me in trouble. I can hear the conversation going something like this: Honestly honey, the guys in the forum said I should just do it. :shrug: What's that? No, the Team Shelby forum is a virtual thing and I'm sure I can't put it where you are telling me to..........

Mark

OK, now you just trying to get me in trouble. I can hear the conversation going something like this: Honestly honey, the guys in the forum said I should just do it. :shrug: What's that? No, the Team Shelby forum is a virtual thing and I'm sure I can't put it where you are telling me to..........

Mark

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Jer

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Jer

He is ALIVE! And apparently in good spirits. Hope all is well. :bliss:

I'm going to have to get Jer out to California so that I can take him for a ride in the car. He is the one who insisted on me keeping the silver stripes on the car and most of all agreed to sponsor me. It doesn't have a supercharger on it like his SGT but I think that I can still treat him to a track session he'll always remember ! Hopefully you got to keep the photos that I sent you Jer. Thank you for all the things that you've done for me Jer. :puppy_kiss:

I'm going to have to get Jer out to California so that I can take him for a ride in the car. He is the one who insisted on me keeping the silver stripes on the car and most of all agreed to sponsor me. It doesn't have a supercharger on it like his SGT but I think that I can still treat him to a track session he'll always remember ! Hopefully you got to keep the photos that I sent you Jer. Thank you for all the things that you've done for me Jer. :puppy_kiss:

That would be AWESOME. Don't have any predispositions about the car being less powerful, everyone with a brain knows it's all about the driver. The best "speed experiences" I've had were as a passenger with Mike Eisenberg (in his vintage GT350) and Steve McCarley (in my car). I'd love to get a few laps of learnin' with you.

BTW, yes, I have the photos. They are awesome. The entire "Racing Partners" program was a pet project of mine, much like the Bash Program itself. Everyone in the Bash Program was a contact I made through SPP and wanted to support:

Cale Aronson

Todd Zeplin

Bob Zinzell

Tim Stieve

Nicole Jacque

… and you!

Jer

Jer,

We'll have to get something set up at Laguna Seca so that you and Jackie can make a vacation trip to Monterey ( or Sonoma for Mini-Nats if you 2 are into wine tasting). Sorry but, I don't have a facebook account however - if you still have my e-mail address shoot me a note ( I have something for you and your collection ).

KP

Jer,

We'll have to get something set up at Laguna Seca so that you and Jackie can make a vacation trip to Monterey ( or Sonoma for Mini-Nats if you 2 are into wine tasting). Sorry but, I don't have a facebook account however - if you still have my e-mail address shoot me a note ( I have something for you and your collection ).

KP

I just read this to Jack, and she said "He had me at 'wine tasting'."

BTW, she's a track rat too, she hit Spring Mountain in her MCA Mustang and got rides with McCarley (in Whitey), Gary Patterson in a new GT350, Vince in the Shelby Focus, and with Gooch in his GT350...

Jer

Check your calendar for August 1st through 3rd - That's when the NorCal SAAC club here has the Mini-Nats @ Sonoma Raceway. I will commit to going and reserve both you and Jackie a ride during the weekend. MM has started posting announcements in the Pacific Region section already. We could hit the wineries on Friday and then be at the track for Saturday/Sunday.

He is ALIVE! And apparently in good spirits. Hope all is well. :bliss:

Check your calendar for August 1st through 3rd - That's when the NorCal SAAC club here has the Mini-Nats @ Sonoma Raceway. I will commit to going and reserve both you and Jackie a ride during the weekend. MM has started posting announcements in the Pacific Region section already. We could hit the wineries on Friday and then be at the track for Saturday/Sunday.

Jer,

Mini-Nats at the beginning of August is a must. Weather in the Napa Valley is warm and coastal fog cools things off at night. The wine tasting (like the motorsports) is world class!

Jer,

Mini-Nats at the beginning of August is a must. Weather in the Napa Valley is warm and coastal fog cools things off at night. The wine tasting (like the motorsports) is world class!

We'd love to be part of it.

Right now, we're reeling, everything has been so sudden, and we're just trying to get our bearings… Neither of us were born with lottery winners in our families, PLUS we have a family of four dogs and a cat to consider… LOL

Jer

Russ Peterson in 07SGT2425 has WON the first national race in the T2 class today @ the SCCA Majors Tour Race in Washington at Pacific Raceway in Kent.

Can anybody remember when the last time was when someone in a Shelby Mustang won in a SCCA National Road Race ?

Russ won the second race as well in Washington which means that we're going to Portland , Oregon over the 4th of July weekend to run the final Western Division races in the Majors and be able to run in the SCCA National Runoffs in October at Laguna Seca. :yahoo: With this weekends wins , Russ is now ranked 4th in the Western division of the U.S. Tours Series in T2.

Well , I went out and bought a new truck to tow the race car with today. I got a 2014 Ford F150 Super Cab with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine in Oxford White. Took advantage of the current Memorial Day Rebates that Ford is offering ( expire on June 2nd ). So at least I won't have to be borrowing one now. :drop::spend: :spend: :spend: Ahhhh - racing...

Well , I went out and bought a new truck to tow the race car with today. I got a 2014 Ford F150 Super Cab with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine in Oxford White. Took advantage of the current Memorial Day Rebates that Ford is offering ( expire on June 2nd ). So at least I won't have to be borrowing one now. :drop::spend: :spend: :spend: Ahhhh - racing...

I was looking at some F150's just the other day. Couldn't believe how much it costs to buy a freakin pick up truck these days. Some were as high as $55,000. for just a few more bucks, you could get an F350 Super Duty.

Update on track car project: Found a well equipped Radical SR3 in FL. Thinking seriously about obtaining it. Everything I research about these cars just makes me want one that much more.

Archived