TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

Another relief package coming up ! You will need to send the Hurricane out to Calif. for the wiring work - we keep that "TOP SECRET" ( I do have a factory manual set ).

Jersey - the weight was 3414 lbs. by itself when we last took it to the track with full interior . I'll try to weight it before we put the cagework into it to see how much was "cut out". I can tell you that I've taken at least 3 full pick up truck loads of parts off of it and theres still more. As far as metal removed from the car 30lbs probably (and believe me that's a lot ) but then there is metal that is being added back in where we need it. Like Sam Posey once learned - just don't let them lean on the roof ! ;)

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got back to the underside of 07SGT2425 yesterday and took out the evap / carbon cannister assembly , evap feed and vent lines , gas tank , and filler neck assembly. I cut out some more unwanted metal and made mods - getting ready to weld in some seat belt harness mount brackets. Took the valve assembly out of the engine compartment for the evap system and plugged the intake manifold . Elimination of emissions systems done.

I modified the gas tank filler pipe today along with fabbing up the mounts for the 6 point seat belt harnesses (drivers and passenger sides) and the gas tank vent box. Many may not know that the OEM gas tank has a check ball assembly in it at the filler neck entry point and an inline valve on the vent hose which close off the tank openings in case of a rollover. We modify the vent line to add in a tank in the trunk (above the filler height) and run it down to a check ball valve under the car but leave the inlet check valve as is. Kenny came by and did some welding on the underside along with filling holes around the gas tank area and "B" pillar mounts. Getting closer to roll cage time on 07SGT2425 . :drop:

Well today more stuff was crossed off of the list. The rear package tray is tack welded in place, 1"x1" jacking rails done, gas tank is back in the car, and the driveshaft and loops are back in place. Just need to put the exhaust mid pipes and mufflers back in and the underside of the car should be done. 07SGT2425 is coming along on time and should be ready for the start of the season in March. I'll be much more relaxed once the cagework and interior paint is done. Maybe I'll get some time to clean 07SGT4755 and get it back out in February. Will post some progress pics soon.

Hey All;

Well the last couple of days KP and I pulled the chassis harness from 07SGT2425 stripped the last of the lingering wires and put it back into the car ........... Oh and I completed the dash harness and..... the darn thing fired up and stayed running :yahoo: I got some pics of th KP trying to remember where things go....... It's that old age thing :lol:

Hope you enjoy

post-37474-0-38952600-1391489210_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-27831300-1391489219_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-66528900-1391489231_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-68884700-1391489249_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-01356700-1391489262_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-78041400-1391489274_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-05024800-1391489309_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-13951200-1391489324_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-47750200-1391489351_thumb.jpg

post-37474-0-76186000-1391489339_thumb.jpg

Thanks JJ - Yep , old age and treachery gets them everytime ! :cool: Maybe we should show them some pics of a naked interior :drool: if the electrical stuff doesn't shock them !

redneckgt and I have started to get the electrical wiring in these cars down now after doing 2 full race cars ( logged in about 100 hours in just wiring time alone between the 2 ) :drop:

Thanks JJ - Yep , old age and treachery gets them everytime ! :cool: Maybe we should show them some pics of a naked interior :drool: if the electrical stuff doesn't shock them !

redneckgt and I have started to get the electrical wiring in these cars down now after doing 2 full race cars ( logged in about 100 hours in just wiring time alone between the 2 ) :drop:

Ok well I got some pic's of the NAKED interior,here they are so enjoy

post-37474-0-44105200-1391575786_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-62197600-1391575798_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-09570000-1391575816_thumb.jpg

Every once and a while I'll ask " So you want to go racing ?" which is then followed up with "How far are you willing to go to go racing ?" JJ and I are going to take these 2 Shelby GTs to a level to make them a true "R" model in every sense. Hitting the track in 2 weeks for the 2014 race season.

Jersey - the weight was 3414 lbs. by itself when we last took it to the track with full interior . I'll try to weight it before we put the cagework into it to see how much was "cut out". I can tell you that I've taken at least 3 full pick up truck loads of parts off of it and theres still more. As far as metal removed from the car 30lbs probably (and believe me that's a lot ) but then there is metal that is being added back in where we need it. Like Sam Posey once learned - just don't let them lean on the roof ! ;)

Thanks...

Every once and a while I'll ask " So you want to go racing ?" which is then followed up with "How far are you willing to go to go racing ?" JJ and I are going to take these 2 Shelby GTs to a level to make them a true "R" model in every sense. Hitting the track in 2 weeks for the 2014 race season.

Go Pro! Expecting video's... :cool:

I was wondering who was going to make the first comment about those side stripes - I figuired I had to make some kind of statement that it was now a race model Shelby GT. Maybe I should have gone with "Shelby GT/CR" since it is a "California Edition" :lol: But, I just couldn't leave it stock :drop:

It's getting closer to track time, think I'll change the oil and filter on 07SGT4755 . redneckgt called me today and said that he's getting the car cleaned up. Jay from Vision Wells on-track video productions says he'll be there on Friday so we will see about getting video coverage. Watching the weather reports for conditions - will be taking the rain tire set.

So KP hung up the new banner from Shelby Performance, THANKS Jer :worship: Way cool.......................... :dance: and always lookin for more wall art. The walls are 16' tall so lots of space to fill.

post-37474-0-60819000-1392350652_thumb.jpg

And to the CaliKR...... MAN YOU ROCK Thanks for the flowers :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the SCCA licensing school this last weekend so now that is over the race season begins . I'm signed up with 07SGT4755 for the 2014 Season Opener @ Thunderhill Raceway in Willows , Calif. on March 8th/9th. So far there are 8 SMG cars signed up to compete in the 28 car field. Now the real work begins. :drop:

Oohhh , the joys of going racing - had to go through the trailer this past week - seems like we got back from the track on a prayer. One tire on the trailer was separated , two sets of the wheel bearings were burnt up , tail lights were not working , one of the brakes was not adjusted/working properly . :spend: So we had to completely go through the trailer to make it road worthy again before going back up for the next race . So now it has new lights , new wiring ( yes we rewired the whole thing ) new bearings/seals , new tires. Don't want to break down 180 miles from home ! :drop:

Oohhh , the joys of going racing - had to go through the trailer this past week - seems like we got back from the track on a prayer. One tire on the trailer was separated , two sets of the wheel bearings were burnt up , tail lights were not working , one of the brakes was not adjusted/working properly . :spend: So we had to completely go through the trailer to make it road worthy again before going back up for the next race . So now it has new lights , new wiring ( yes we rewired the whole thing ) new bearings/seals , new tires. Don't want to break down 180 miles from home ! :drop:

Recalling my racing days, the actual racing part was definitely the easiest and most fun! All the prep and getting back and forth to the tracks...not always the best part....

Like I was told a long time ago ; If you don't have a good "trailer" story to go along with an "on track" story then you haven't been racing ! :hysterical2::bike:

Sorry to hear about the trailer, Kevin. Not related to on-track, but trailering the dune buggy home from the sierras I heard and felt a thumping and looked in the mirror just in time to see shoe sized chunks of trailer tire bouncing off the windshield of the car next to and behind me. :fan:

Archived