TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Possible, but not probable, 2008 Super Snake on New York CoPart website

This may be a great deal for someone as CoPart doesn't know its a Super Snake. 08SS0xxx VIN 1ZVHT88S085172538

Wonder where the SS hood went?

http://www.easyexpor...USTANG_27024782

Steve

UPDATE: Still looking into this cars history. Its starting to look like its a SS build that never was completed. I've asked the mod shop for any and all invoices pertaining to this GT500. I'm also looking into the dash plaque to see if this CSM was ever engraved onto a plaque.

So for the time being I would suggest that no one bid on this car with the hopes its a Super Snake.

I'll post further updates as they come in.

This may be a great deal for someone as CoPart doesn't know its a Super Snake. 08SS0641 VIN 1ZVHT88S085172538

Wonder where the SS hood went?

http://www.easyexpor...USTANG_27024782

Steve

Ya might wanna double check that, Steve.

All I see "Super Snake" about it is the 20" Alcoa wheels and i can't see it they have the SS engraving on them or not.

Stock blower and intake including the sealed air box. No SS or even Shelby engine caps under the hood. No SS badges, nothing to indicate it's a Super Snake.

Phill

Ya might wanna double check that, Steve.

All I see "Super Snake" about it is the 20" Alcoa wheels and i can't see it they have the SS engraving on them or not.

Stock blower and intake including the sealed air box. No SS or even Shelby engine caps under the hood. No SS badges, nothing to indicate it's a Super Snake.

Phill

Already verified the build. 605hp Super Snake and you can barely see the dash plaque in one of the pics.

Steve

If its a real SS I wonder where the rest of the SS package is? I thought the 605 h.p. option got the FRPP TVS. I'm surprised that if someone went to the trouble of removing all the SS goodies that they wouldn't have saved the Alcoas.

Nothing about that car, except for the wheels and side scoops, looks like a Super Snake. Just to mention a few items that tell me it's not:

- no carbon fiber rockers or splitters

- stock blower

- SHELBY letter on trunk lid in stock position

- does not have SS stripes or badges

- stock engine caps

- I could go on if you like...

That is strange...........it looks like "if" it was/is a Super Snake, all of the take-off parts have been re-installed? But re-striped too? Replacing the lower grill with no brake duct openings?

Re-installing the take-offs would be a way for the owner to get some extra cash out of the deal by re-selling the unique parts seperately............but re-striping the car, there would be no benefit, and removing the lower grill with brake duct openings?

R

That is strange...........it looks like "if" it was/is a Super Snake, all of the take-off parts have been re-installed? But re-striped too? Replacing the lower grill with no brake duct openings?

Re-installing the take-offs would be a way for the owner to get some extra cash out of the deal by re-selling the unique parts seperately............but re-striping the car, there would be no benefit, and removing the lower grill with brake duct openings?

R

Robert

I agree with your observation. Its also strange that they would leave the wheels and dash plaque. I'll try to contact the previous owner to see if there's anything they are willing to tell us.

Steve

Please re-read post #3 where I mentioned that the build has been verified. Just because someone removes/swaps parts doesn't take away from the cars history.

Steve

I understand Steve, and you have the VIN/build records, but WOW! yes it has the history, but now only in documentation........it just seems strange. I would like to see more picture specific to someplace like the radiator support where the CSM plate should be attached. There should be a plate? or at least holes where the rivets were removed.

R

Robert

I agree with your observation. Its also strange that they would leave the wheels and dash plaque. I'll try to contact the previous owner to see if there's anything they are willing to tell us.

Steve

Since sooooo many GT500 owners have purchased Shelby dash plaques, it would also be interesting to see the face of the plaque..........and the door sill plates.

R

I understand Steve, and you have the VIN/build records, but WOW! yes it has the history, but now only in documentation........it just seems strange. I would like to see more picture specific to someplace like the radiator support where the CSM plate should be attached. There should be a plate? or at least holes where the rivets were removed.

R

Correct. And if there's anyone local that can get into CoParts lot for some closer pics, just let us know.

Steve

Please re-read post #3 where I mentioned that the build has been verified. Just because someone removes/swaps parts doesn't take away from the cars history.

Steve

I'm thinking someone got the VIN wrong (typo, etc.). I don't see a way to contact the auction lot to verify the VIN either. What state/area does that VIN come back to, Steve? Long Island, NY or somewhere close by?

IMO, there is NO WAY someone is going to go to the trouble to re-stripe a SS with OEM stripes before turning it into the Ins. Co. for salvage. I could see taking the TVS and Hood off but a set of Mustang wheels would be easy enough to get and yet...Alcoa's are still on it. They alone are more valuable (if they are Super Snake engraved Alcoa's) than the TVS and the hood combined! It just makes no sense.

YES, there *appears* to be A dash plaque on it but that doesn't make it a Super Snake. Shelby sells (or sold) dash plaques for GT500's with the VIN on it.

Again, I submit that the VIN you are researching and the VIN of this vehicle are not one and the same.

If the owner was going to strip the SS parts to send the car to salvage, would he (or would YOU) even reinstall the OE parts? I mean, IF you still had them? I'd give them the car minus the SS parts (open intake and all) but to go out and find/buy all new engine bay caps, a Eaton OEM blower and closed air-box intake, a lower grille, put the Shelby letters back on the left side of the car, put the OE hood back on AND re-stripe the entire car (I'd put the OE hood with double stripes on, leaving the SS stripes).

This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE at all. I'd be very interested to see what the owner has to say about it, if you can contact him/her. I am at the very least, intrigued.

JMHO,

Phill

I'm with you guys and too find it strange. This caught my attention when I was updating the registry with the CoPart info. I started to add to the registry database that the car appeared to be stock except for some Alcoa's. I even wrote that I was unable to determine if they were SS Alcoa's, Shelby Forgerd Alcoa's or the 50th Alcoa's. That is when I noticed that the car was registered as a Super Snake. I then confirmed the VIN & CSM number thru our sales department.

Now keep in mind that the CSM number of this car shows that it was built at one of our authorized mod shops so I do not have the cars actual "build folder" here at Shelby American. I've placed a phone call out to the mod shop and am awaiting to hear back from them.

For now we have to be patient and give me time to research this car further.

Steve

I'm with you guys and too find it strange. This caught my attention when I was updating the registry with the CoPart info. I started to add to the registry database that the car appeared to be stock except for some Alcoa's. I even wrote that I was unable to determine if they were SS Alcoa's, Shelby Forgerd Alcoa's or the 50th Alcoa's. That is when I noticed that the car was registered as a Super Snake. I then confirmed the VIN & CSM number thru our sales department.

Now keep in mind that the CSM number of this car shows that it was built at one of our authorized mod shops so I do not have the cars actual "build folder" here at Shelby American. I've placed a phone call out to the mod shop and am awaiting to hear back from them.

For now we have to be patient and give me time to research this car further.

Steve

Hmm. The plot thickens.

I for one am waiting to hear what's what. I still contend that the site has the wrong VIN listed. It'd be REAL easy to do, just miss it by one number....

That's the *only* thing that would make sense to me (IMHO).

Phill

I know you are investigating but those are definitely NOT true Supersnake wheels. They are regular "plain" Alcoas. IF they were supersnake Alcoas, half the rim would have SUPER SNAKE engraved and the other half would say SHELBY FORGED. IF the wheels were the new 50th, half of the rim would be engraved with FIFTY YEARS and the other half would be engraved with SHELBY FORGED. Becuase we can clearly see the front driver side rim, half of the rim has NO engraving. Therefore what is engraved on the half we can not see must be SHELBY FORGED. Therefore these are clearly neither Supersnake rims nor 50th Anniversay Alcoas.

I was thinking hmm, i may bid on the car had those been true Supersnake. The price alone would be worth it! Oh well. I am interested in seeing what details are found out about the car.

If the registry is showing the VIN as having been SS'd then the VIN is wrong or the Registry is wrong!

IMHO the vehicle being sold at salvage was never a SS (wrong VIN listed on site)! Way too many inconsistencies that wouldn't have been changed out prior to letting it go to salvage (i.e. stripes, blower, trunk lettering, etc....)

This is precisely why the registry shouldn't be updated with info obtained from the WEB without solid proof that it's the proper VIN of the damaged vehicle!

Here's a scenario to ponder:

Person A purchases GT-500 with Vin A, buys autographed Dash Plaque that includes engraving for VIN A, at a later date decides have the car SS'd. Chooses to sell the autographed Dash Plaque to Person B.

Person B puts Plaque on car with VIN B. Now VIN B car has a Plaque showing VIN A!

Flood damage causes insurance claim. Car goes to salvage facility to be auctioned. Salvage facility sees dash plaque with VIN A and uses VIN A to list vehicle on web site when in fact the cars VIN is VIN B!

If the blower has been replaced by the stock one then it no longer has 605hp, so we don't know what other ss parts have been removed. If it was built as a super snake and all the parts have been returned to stock then is it really a super snake?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived