TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Return of the Razors??? - ADDED POLL INFO

Z-man

Razor Customer Demand Info  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a set of Razors if they were made with the correct offset to fit your car?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy your wheels all the smae width, or opt for wider rear rims?

• All four wheels the same width
    • Wider rear rims
  3. 3. What color/finish would you buy?

• Chrome
    • Gun Metal
    • Silver (Painted)
    • Black
    • Brushed finish with a polished wheel lip
  4. 4. How many wheels would you buy?

• one (as a spare for current)
    • two
    • four (one complete set)
    • five (full set plus a spare)
    • 6 or more
  5. 5. If available, would you buy them with tires mounted on them and TMPS, ready to install?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. What size diameter rim do you prefer?

• 18"
    • 19"
    • 20"
  7. 7. What size widths do you prefer? (you can choose up to two sizes - one size for front, and another for rear)

• 9"
    • 9.5"
    • 10"
    • 10.5"
    • 11"
    • 11.5"

They do look nice. Do you have a photo of the rear wheel showing the tire line up with the fender lip?

The first shot is best I can do right now, I'm currently in Netherlands, I'll try to post another shot when I get home in a couple of weeks.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Come on please make them in 18's! 18x10 gun metal to fit big brakes to be specific. Not interested in the 20's.

+1000

I just bought a set of the GT500KR 18" Alcoa rims, but I would probably jump on a set of 18" razors over the KR rims in polished aluminum if they could fit the Brembos.

I'm also not interested in 20's...too big a wheel for my liking...18's with the proper offset would be awesome!

Andy.

I thought I read somewhere that creating a 24mm in the 18" wheel was near impossible without seriously distorting the design of the wheel to get them to fit over big brakes. I don't think we'll see anything other than the 20" in the 24mm offset.

I thought I read somewhere that creating a 24mm in the 18" wheel was near impossible without seriously distorting the design of the wheel to get them to fit over big brakes. I don't think we'll see anything other than the 20" in the 24mm offset.

I contacted American Racing today to ask about 18" Razors with the 24mm offset. It seems to be a popular question all of a sudden. Sorry to have to tell you guys, but wjlane is on the right track. There are currently no plans to offer the 18" rims with clearance for the bigger brakes. Only the 20" rims will get the offset change. My impression was that this would not happen at any time in the future either. It would be a major redesign, not a insert change like on the 20's.

Some good news.....production of the 20's is underway, with possible availability in mid October.

Z-man

I contacted American Racing today to ask about 18" Razors with the 24mm offset. It seems to be a popular question all of a sudden. Sorry to have to tell you guys, but wjlane is on the right track. There are currently no plans to offer the 18" rims with clearance for the bigger brakes. Only the 20" rims will get the offset change. My impression was that this would not happen at any time in the future either. It would be a major redesign, not a insert change like on the 20's.

Some good news.....production of the 20's is underway, with possible availability in mid October.

Z-man

Will this be a product they plan on keeping in stock? or a limited run with a steep price ?

Will this be a product they plan on keeping in stock? or a limited run with a steep price ?

I'm going to make some educated assumptions to answer that.

Limited run? - I doubt that. In helping AM and AR see the benifits to them of doing this, one of the big advantages to them was that the 24mm offset rims will fit EVERY Mustang and Shelby. Stock brakes, big brakes, Bear, Brembo, etc. they will all work. This opens up a larger market segment, and doesn't have any negatives. Additionally, they needed to change the tooling (or at least part of the production process) to make the 24mm offset rims. I don't see them ever changing back. It makes no business sence.

In Stock / Steep Price? - AM sells Razor rims right now. They have for a few years. You can order them on-line 24/7/365 from the American Muscle web site. As far as price, I would think they would be about the same as the ones they sell right now. A 20" by 10" wide chrome Razor sells for $304.99. The same size in black is $249.99. You can check the prices of other sizes and finishes on their web-site.

I never understood why AM/AR did away with the 24mm offset when they went into full production. Are there any benefits to a smaller offset? Seems the negatives would outweigh any positives considering no current big brake cars could use the current offset and any GT or V6 owners who bought the wheels would not be able to upgrade to bigger brakes. The 24mm offset just makes so much sense from a business perspective.

Well......this thread was started over a 1/2 year ago and the "Rocket science" needed to produce this wheel for the GT500 has not taken place.

Who knows how long they will dick around with this.

I am purchasing 2 sets of wheels else ware.

Well......this thread was started over a 1/2 year ago and the "Rocket science" needed to produce this wheel for the GT500 has not taken place.

since Z-Man has been in contact with them, I would just say be patient. Making wheels and make sure everything fits and the quality is good does not happen overnight.

since Z-Man has been in contact with them, I would just say be patient. Making wheels and make sure everything fits and the quality is good does not happen overnight.

I'm done waiting.

The mold exists.

It's not rocket science.

I have ordered other wheels.

These are no longer on my radar.

Carry on. :hysterical:

I'm done waiting.

The mold exists.

It's not rocket science.

I have ordered other wheels.

These are no longer on my radar.

Carry on. :hysterical:

So close, yet, so far.

Although it seems like a looooong time (in fact, I thought it was more than just half a year), making a substantial change to a product does take more time than you might expect (maketing research, management approval, mold design, mold changes while not impacting current production, sales literature, filling the 'pipeline', what to do wiht olsd stock, etc.). That said, there were times in the past six months where I would have bough a set of used Razors, had I found a set in good condition at the 'right' price.

Grabber, what rims did you end up getting? I'm curious what style you ended up with.

Z-man (Keeping the dream alive!)

Can't argue with a killer deal on TWO sets of KR rims........sweet!

.....almost as nice as Razors :-)

All they had to do is bring back the original steady eddie Wheel. No engineering involved.

being in the engineering/foundry business..... that's easy to say. If the patterns are still available and if the processes are still in place from before yep just ramp it up..... you know the same way they build a new building, they use all the old structures from the previous building. B)

I'm guessing that the patterns were worn out which could have been a good reason they stopped making them in the first place. Or the foundry that made them before is now out of business. There are a lot of reasons why.

Why are you saying the "science" to produce this wheel has not taken place? It has been stated very clearly in this thread that the new wheels are in production and have been for the last couple of months. And the "dicking around" has also been clearly stated to end this fall, possibly mid-October. No need to talk smack in a thread for those who want the Razors. Enjoy your KRs.

I am looking forward to seeing you guys get your razors next month.

I wouldn't be looking for them on Oct 1st....but we are getting closer. Still no 'official' word from AM.

Archived