TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Return of the Razors??? - ADDED POLL INFO

Z-man

Razor Customer Demand Info  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a set of Razors if they were made with the correct offset to fit your car?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy your wheels all the smae width, or opt for wider rear rims?

• All four wheels the same width
    • Wider rear rims
  3. 3. What color/finish would you buy?

• Chrome
    • Gun Metal
    • Silver (Painted)
    • Black
    • Brushed finish with a polished wheel lip
  4. 4. How many wheels would you buy?

• one (as a spare for current)
    • two
    • four (one complete set)
    • five (full set plus a spare)
    • 6 or more
  5. 5. If available, would you buy them with tires mounted on them and TMPS, ready to install?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. What size diameter rim do you prefer?

• 18"
    • 19"
    • 20"
  7. 7. What size widths do you prefer? (you can choose up to two sizes - one size for front, and another for rear)

• 9"
    • 9.5"
    • 10"
    • 10.5"
    • 11"
    • 11.5"

Jer -

Since the re-issue of the Alcoa's was such a huge success, how about a re-run of the Shelby Razor wheels? :wub2:

I've been looking for a clean set of staggered fitment 20" Razors with the correct backspacing to fit the GT500 brakes, and that is easier said than done. I thought I had a set in Chrome all lined up, but that deal went south. :censored:

American Muscle sells 20" Razors all day / every day, so they are still in production....but the back spacing isn't correct for the big brakes.

If we are talking about re-doing them. the widest rim that would fit in the rear, with a nice aggressive backset lip (3"+) would be bad azz.

Maybe even a new finish (brushed aluminum spokes with a polished lip).

As far as pricing, since that style is still in production, they shouldn't be much more than the American Muscle price, and substantialy less than the Alcoa's (at least that's what I'm hoping). :spend:

So what do you think, Jer?

Z-man

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of us had the rears widened to 10.5" Stock is 20"x9". The 24mm offset is what you want to clear the front brakes.

Exactly my point. So many people want a wider rear wheel than 10" so why not just make them that way. Other than custom built/widened wheels, the only 20" x 11" that I can find are the Steeda Spyders or the Shelby CS-1s.

Guys, these are my favorite wheels, they are on my car right now, in Chrome.

I will tell you now, I HAVE been investigating this, and it has not yet been ruled out, but if this turns into another Alcoa thread, someone may find me dead in a cheap motel. Just sayin'.

The joke around SA is that my gravestone will be coated in DuraBrite-C.

Be cool, be patient, have mercy.

:hysterical:

Jer

The 24mm offset is what you want to clear the front brakes.

The 24mm offset is what you want to clear ALL the brakes.

Jer

Jer -

Since the re-issue of the Alcoa's was such a huge success, how about a re-run of the Shelby Razor wheels? :wub2:

I've been looking for a clean set of staggered fitment 20" Razors with the correct backspacing to fit the GT500 brakes, and that is easier said than done. I thought I had a set in Chrome all lined up, but that deal went south. :censored:

American Muscle sells 20" Razors all day / every day, so they are still in production....but the back spacing isn't correct for the big brakes.

If we are talking about re-doing them. the widest rim that would fit in the rear, with a nice aggressive backset lip (3"+) would be bad azz.

Maybe even a new finish (brushed aluminum spokes with a polished lip).

As far as pricing, since that style is still in production, they shouldn't be much more than the American Muscle price, and substantialy less than the Alcoa's (at least that's what I'm hoping). :spend:

So what do you think, Jer?

Z-man

, :lurk: ,,,,I'll take two - 11 inch wheels for the back please , :camera: ,002473-R1-23-22A.jpg,,,,, :yahoo:

002473-R1-23-22A.jpg

Okay...you people have GOT to stop coming up with good ideas. I'm going to have to sell a kidney at this point. My two cents..I like the brushed aluminum with polished lip idea...that sounds really cool.

+1

I will tell you now, I HAVE been investigating this, and it has not yet been ruled out, but if this turns into another Alcoa thread, someone may find me dead in a cheap motel. Just sayin'.

Jer

Jer –

Seems like there is a lot of interest already, and I’m glad to see you were thinking about this as well!

From what has been posted so far, it looks like people are looking for a wider rear rim, as well as some different finishes. Going back to what is currently available from American Muscle (albeit with the incorrect offset for our bigger brakes), they have 9” and 10” widths, in addition, they offer chrome, gun metal, and black finishes, all of which have the polished lip.

Just out of curiosity, what is the widest rime we can fit on the front and back of our cars (mine being a 2008 GT500 which has been lowered) without rubbing or steering issues? Also can one of the non-big-brake rims be modified to work on our cars? I know most folks don’t like them, but would a wheel spacer fix the problem…assuming the wheels won’t stick out past the fenders when done? ….and don’t anybody dare say ‘widebody’ kit.

I don’t know if this suggestion would make your life any easier, and save you from another “Alcoa Aneurism”, but have you considered teaming up with, or licensing, American Muscle to sell and distribute the rims for you. They even do full rim and tire combo deals where they install your TPMS sensors, then mount and balance your tires. I believe a TPMS re-set tool is even included. When you receive the rims/tires from them, all you need to do is install them on your car. That certainly is a very nice package, and it makes it very easy for the customer.

....and before you head out to that cheap motel on the outskirts of Vegas, give me a call....I'll help talk you down and be your 'crisis buddy'.

Z-man

Z-man - the price of my Razors just doubled!! :hysterical2:

Thank you!

UCLAman, you're welcome

And just to clarify something I wrote...

If you read every nook and cranny on Team Shelby, you may have seen that I was talking to UCLAman about his set of Razors. I want to make it clear that the deal I mentioned that went ‘sideways’ was NOT with him….but it was with another Team Shelby member.

I never officially gave UCLAman an answer on his rims, but because we basically couldn’t live much further apart, and both still be in the continental states, shipping the rims/tires was an issue. We both realized it probably wasn’t the best deal for either of us.

As such, his rims/tires are still available (as far as I know). They are 20” gun metal Razors and the tires have decent tread left. He is a great, honest guy to work with. (Heck, he even tried to help me find another set of rims to buy that were closer to me so that shipping would not become a concern, knowing that by doing so, he probably wouldn’t end up selling his rims/tires to me….I don’t think many sellers would do that for a potential buyer). If you are interested in a nice set of gun metal Razors, you should definitely contact him.

If you treat him nice, he may even take 10% off that price he just doubled. :hysterical2:

Z-man

Jer,

I will also chime in on this topic. I have a Terlingua and would buy 4 more of the correct, branded Shelby Terlingua Gun Metal Razors to have as backups just if...

I thankfully have the four wheels on my car now as she came and one extra now as well I bought from SA. But in twenty years who knows maybe I will want backups for scratches if somehow I lose my mind ever put my baby that near a curb - that is if she ever sees a curb.... or rain, or wind, or night,....

Thanks!!!!

David

American Racing does still sell the Shelby Braned Razors, but yet will not fit a Shelby(GT500 or GT with big brakes at least)...... This has been driving me mad if you've seen the other Razor posts where I showed the difference in the wheel build based on offsets. Why did they do this??? It makes absolutely no sense to me. It's not the offset that is the issue with the brakes, but the actual build of the wheels that makes them not fit. Insanity why this was ever done by AR......

Would be great to see a proper fitting Shelby Razor again.

Okay...you people have GOT to stop coming up with good ideas. I'm going to have to sell a kidney at this point. My two cents..I like the brushed aluminum with polished lip idea...that sounds really cool.

+1 for that version!!

Is this a pipe dream ?

No, its the second coming of the Razors.

OK, I just figured out how to pay for the widebody kit I so badly want:

I will start the bidding on my gunmetal Razors (with the proper offset that everyone desires) at $6K and I will happily throw in the tires AND TPMS sensors!! :hysterical2:

Jer

Does that rule out the Aliante? :hysterical2:

Another vote for the original (but widened) chromed Shelby Razor... :yahoo:

Is this a pipe dream ?

Grabber -

It might be a pipe dream for now, but in Jer's position at SA, he has the ability to make our dreams come true.

And as we both know, you always need to 'keep the faith'

Z-man.

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE bring back the Razors!! How in the world can there be a Shelby branded wheel that will not fit a Shelby branded car?

the ones that Americanmuscle sell are from American Racing, so you think that Shelby could give American Racing a call and be like make these fit GT500's

the ones that Americanmuscle sell are from American Racing, so you think that Shelby could give American Racing a call and be like make these fit GT500's

I made that same basic comment to Jer. To avoid another "Alcoa Experiance", make SA's involvement easy and team up with AM. Let AM work directly with American Racing to dust off the old tooling with the correct offset, modify it to make a wider rear rim, and develop the new brushed aluminum finish that everyone (well, at least I) would like to see. When AM has a prototyptype set in hand, let SA approve them, then AM can sell them. Yes, SA will not make as much money this way, since AM will actually be the vendor,but if the wheels are officially licensened by Shelby, they will surely get a cut.

A smaller piece of the pie, but for minimal effort on SA's part, may be a viable option on this one.....and the time it will take to get the wheels to market may be reduced as well.

Z-man

Just out of curiosity, what is the widest rime we can fit on the front and back of our cars (mine being a 2008 GT500 which has been lowered) without rubbing or steering issues? Also can one of the non-big-brake rims be modified to work on our cars? I know most folks don’t like them, but would a wheel spacer fix the problem…assuming the wheels won’t stick out past the fenders when done?

Anyone care to comment on the questions above...especially wheel spacers?

Z-man

Archived