TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Return of the Razors??? - ADDED POLL INFO

Z-man

Razor Customer Demand Info  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a set of Razors if they were made with the correct offset to fit your car?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy your wheels all the smae width, or opt for wider rear rims?

• All four wheels the same width
    • Wider rear rims
  3. 3. What color/finish would you buy?

• Chrome
    • Gun Metal
    • Silver (Painted)
    • Black
    • Brushed finish with a polished wheel lip
  4. 4. How many wheels would you buy?

• one (as a spare for current)
    • two
    • four (one complete set)
    • five (full set plus a spare)
    • 6 or more
  5. 5. If available, would you buy them with tires mounted on them and TMPS, ready to install?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. What size diameter rim do you prefer?

• 18"
    • 19"
    • 20"
  7. 7. What size widths do you prefer? (you can choose up to two sizes - one size for front, and another for rear)

• 9"
    • 9.5"
    • 10"
    • 10.5"
    • 11"
    • 11.5"

I have heard from a reliable source that AM received a shipment of the Gunmetal Razors last week. They should be working their way into inventory shortly.

I just received an e-mail from AM support notifying me that the 18x9 Gunmetal Razor is back in stock. These do not clear the big brakes, so maybe the shipment you heard about were the old style. Or maybe they have not updated the site for the new version??? Price is still $189 for 18x9.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will only be doing the 24mm offset in the 20" rims. Someone asked that same question previously, and I cheked for them. To get the 24mm clearance in the 18" rim would require a complete re-tooling.

Meanwhile my AM contact has closed up tighter than an oysters arse.....and that's water-tite. He is saying nothing. But my AR contact confirms everything wjlane has stated above. Maybe they are waiting for all the finishes to arrive before making an announcement..

Z-man

if anyone is replacing a 20" 24mm offset gunmetal, black or have a silver, I'm looking for one. Slight road wear acceptable.

Send me an email, I have some light blems around. Let me know exactly what you want (color, offset, size, etc).

Jer

• 3 weeks later...

You all (well, most of you) have been very patient during this looooong process, so I thought it was time for an update.

I checked with the manufacturer of the rims (American Racing), and they tell me that AM is in receipt of 20" x 9" sets of gun metal and chrome rims. A shipment of black rims is on the way. I would appear that no 10" wide rims have been shipped yet.

AM still says nothing (AR can't figure them out either, and can't imagine why they aren't promoting these new rim sizes). Our only assumption is that they want stock of all the rims in house before they start advertising and selling anything.....but that is just a guess.

Keep the faith!!!!

Z-man

Wjlane, you are correct that they will not be a 24mm offset....and to be honest, I forgot AM already carries a 10" wide Razor.

The 10" rims will have a 48mm offset. This will clear the big brakes, and position the tire correctly in the wheel well. AM does carry 20" x 10" Razor rims, but I am not sure what the back spacing is. It may already be 48mm, but I can't find that info on their web site.

Also, AM is currently out of stock on the chrome 20" x 10" Razors, but the gun metal and black finishes are in stock.

I'll try and give them a call to ask what the back spacing is on their current 10" rims.

Z-man

Wjlane, you are correct that they will not be a 24mm offset....and to be honest, I forgot AM already carries a 10" wide Razor.

The 10" rims will have a 48mm offset. This will clear the big brakes, and position the tire correctly in the wheel well. AM does carry 20" x 10" Razor rims, but I am not sure what the back spacing is. It may already be 48mm, but I can't find that info on their web site.

Also, AM is currently out of stock on the chrome 20" x 10" Razors, but the gun metal and black finishes are in stock.

I'll try and give them a call to ask what the back spacing is on their current 10" rims.

Z-man

what dedication! Bill, you are the man!

Z-man

Z-Man, the current 20x10's with 48mm offset does NOT clear big brakes. The 48mm 20x10's are what AM carries today. I have two at home and I did a full write up with showing pictures of exactly how they are built and how they do not clear big brakes. Unless AR redesigned this wheel with the same spoke as the 20x9's 24mm, they will not work. The spoke design on the current 20x10's are flatter and will not go over the Brembo's or other big brakes. Did they redesign the new run of 20x10's with the old spoke design that will clear?

Z-Man, the current 20x10's with 48mm offset does NOT clear big brakes. The 48mm 20x10's are what AM carries today. I have two at home and I did a full write up with showing pictures of exactly how they are built and how they do not clear big brakes. Unless AR redesigned this wheel with the same spoke as the 20x9's 24mm, they will not work. The spoke design on the current 20x10's are flatter and will not go over the Brembo's or other big brakes. Did they redesign the new run of 20x10's with the old spoke design that will clear?

AM confirmed the 10" rims they have currently available have a 48mm offset.

Do you have the stock rear GT500 brakes, or the even larger Shelby 'Extream' brakes. When the manufacturer stated they clear big brakes, he meant the stock (yet still big) GT500 rear brakes. If your rear brakes are bigger than stock, that is the reason the rims don't fit.

Here is his reply ...

We have been selling the 20x10 +48mm for the GT500 since the inception of the wheel. We have never built the 20 x 10 in any other offset at all. I’m not sure why the gentleman on the forum had issues with the rear, because if there has ever been a GT500 with 20” staggered Razors (either the American Racing version or the Shelby Version), the car had 20x10 +48mm.

AM confirmed the 10" rims they have currently available have a 48mm offset.

Do you have the stock rear GT500 brakes, or the even larger Shelby 'Extream' brakes. When the manufacturer stated they clear big brakes, he meant the stock (yet still big) GT500 rear brakes. If your rear brakes are bigger than stock, that is the reason the rims don't fit.

Here is his reply ...

We have been selling the 20x10 +48mm for the GT500 since the inception of the wheel. We have never built the 20 x 10 in any other offset at all. I’m not sure why the gentleman on the forum had issues with the rear, because if there has ever been a GT500 with 20” staggered Razors (either the American Racing version or the Shelby Version), the car had 20x10 +48mm.

The 20x10's will fit "stock" rear brakes. I never said that they would not. Notice that he never said that they will fit the front of a GT500. They absolutely will not fit over the stock GT500 Brembos. They will fit a staggered set up with the 20x9 24mm in front and 20x10 48mm rear. But they will not fit with larger rear brakes. Many people that want the 20x10 for the rear, do not have stock brakes. Many wanted a new 20x10 for the front, but it does not look like that is going to happen. I find it odd that he says that they have been making 20x10's for the GT500 since the inception. They have not had a Razor that would fit the front of a GT500 since they ran out of 20x9 24mm's years ago. Who would buy wheels that only fit the back of a car?

So the only new wheel they are making then is the 20x9 24mm offset?

Also, the GT500 rear brakes are no bigger than stock Mustang GT. (in 2013 they did go to larger rotors, same calipers) The four piston calipers (6 for 2013+) on the front are the problem with the 20x10's.

As a point of interest, we have some leftover Razors we will be selling soon through our eBay Store. Black, Silver, Gunmetal, Chrome... a few different sizes and offsets, mostly 20 inch / 24mm. Some are perfect, some have light blemishes, etc... just cleaning house for our move.

I'll announce it when they're available.

Jer

Any word on a 20X9 +24 blems?

thx

-sam

The 20x10's will fit "stock" rear brakes. I never said that they would not. Notice that he never said that they will fit the front of a GT500. They absolutely will not fit over the stock GT500 Brembos. They will fit a staggered set up with the 20x9 24mm in front and 20x10 48mm rear. But they will not fit with larger rear brakes. Many people that want the 20x10 for the rear, do not have stock brakes. Many wanted a new 20x10 for the front, but it does not look like that is going to happen. I find it odd that he says that they have been making 20x10's for the GT500 since the inception. They have not had a Razor that would fit the front of a GT500 since they ran out of 20x9 24mm's years ago. Who would buy wheels that only fit the back of a car?

So the only new wheel they are making then is the 20x9 24mm offset?

Also, the GT500 rear brakes are no bigger than stock Mustang GT. (in 2013 they did go to larger rotors, same calipers) The four piston calipers (6 for 2013+) on the front are the problem with the 20x10's.

No, you did not specifically say they would not fit a GT500 with stock rear brakes, but I think most readers would have inferred that is what you meant. When you are saying 'big brakes', you do not mean the same thing as when the wheel manufacturer says 'big brakes'. Now that your respective terminology has been explained, it sounds like you both are saying basically the same thing. Given your clarification, I do believe everything you said is correct.

As to why someone would buy rims that only fit the back of their car....I don't think Shelby offered a 10" wide wheel as an option on the cars they built, only 9" rims. So if you had a Shebly with Razors, and wanted the staggered look, you would need to purchase just the two rear 10" wide rims.

Z-man

Sheesh....

This is like waiting on the girl you had a crush on in high school to come to her senses and call you.

Move along- find another rim you like AND can actually buy without begging and groveling

What a concept..

Sheesh....

This is like waiting on the girl you had a crush on in high school to come to her senses and call you.

Move along- find another rim you like AND can actually buy without begging and groveling

What a concept..

But when she actually did call you, wasn't that wonderful? :love_shower:

....and how long did it take Jer (a Vice President) with all the purchasing power of Shelby American behind him, to get a second run of Alcoa's done, without having to talk the vendor into modifying their tooling first, and those wheels ened up having to be pre-sold to boot, before the Manufacturer and Shelby would agree to do it? And I'm not "Jer", I'm just another schmoe who wants a set of Razors and started a forum thread about it.

The effort still IS commendable. :salute:

Agreed. And it will pay off! :clapping:

I am looking forward to getting two new 20x9 black wheels for the front of my car with 20x10's for the rear. I will be staying with the stock brakes in the back, because my 15" drag wheels work with them. My current black razors took a pretty good beating in 2008. It will be cheaper to buy new ones than getting these stripped and recoated.

....and how long did it take Jer (a Vice President) with all the purchasing power of Shelby American behind him, to get a second run of Alcoa's done, without having to talk the vendor into modifying their tooling first, and those wheels ened up having to be pre-sold to boot, before the Manufacturer and Shelby would agree to do it?

Just to clarify: They didn't have to be pre-sold, we sent a check to Alcoa LONG before the wheel was announced. We just did the pre-sale that way to make it fair, a first-come, first served way to nail down the orders and get the shipping ready. We then began customer delivery nearly a month ahead of schedule. We promised December delivery, and were 95% done in November. I just wanted to mention that, as it has been rumored before, but the schedule proves that wrong. NO ONE is getting a run of THOUSANDS of wheels made in 2 months with no upfront money.

Not trying to change the subject, I just like to correct the facts when I have a chance!

As for singles and sets of Razors, our move and SEMA have thrown the schedule off a bit. If anyone is looking for Razors, send me an email - even if you have already, I want to know who still needs them. Not a PM, by the way, an email to: JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com

Thanks!

Jer

Jer, don't go confusing the situation with facts! :ohsnap:

Glad you jumped in to set the record right and keep me on the straight and narrow. :thumbsup:

I also now have at least a little understanding of what you went throught to get the Alcoa's made again.... I share your pain brother. :victory:

Z-man

Was there ever an 18 inch Razor that cleared big brakes? Love the wheels but hate the idea of 20s. If they are released, I understand that there won't be an 18 that works. Sorry if this has been covered here.

Was there ever an 18 inch Razor that cleared big brakes? Love the wheels but hate the idea of 20s. If they are released, I understand that there won't be an 18 that works. Sorry if this has been covered here.

Here is a list of all the 20" Razor sizes that American Racing has ever produced. That is not to say all of these sizes are still available or can be found for sale anywhere, but thay all were produced at one point.

I know your question was specific to 18" rims, but I don't have that info (sorry).

Z-man

Razor Sizes.bmp

Razor Sizes.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

I called AM today about the status of the Razor and the rep said merchandising is holding on to the wheel until the current inventory of +30mm wheels is depleted somewhat. Their best guess on when this would happen is January. This makes no sense seeing that it is a different wheel altogether and geared toward a different market for which there is demand. A lot of people, myself included, may take their Christmas money elsewhere if this holds true. So AM does have the new wheels sitting on a shelf, but is in no hurry to offer them for sale. They stand to lose some sales by not offering this during the holidays when people are ready to spend money. I'm starting to gain interest in other wheels now.

Archived