TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TVS & Watts Link on 2008 KR

Cali_KR

Big day yesterday for car #552....

Both the front and the rear got a little attention

We installed the Ford Racing TVS with ProCal tune and Fays2 Watts Link.

Early impressions.....I wish I would've done this sooner.

As best as I could do on public roads, power (and gobs of it) all the way thru. When you're rolling in 3rd, and hammer it...oh yeah, other worldly... zero to 100, in an instant...Pulls like a locomotive with hyperdrive on steroids. If anyone is on the fence about this mod...don't be, it takes an already amazing car to an entirely new level.

Got a little frisky in some of the twisties, on ramps, and much more planted. Also, purposely rolled over many bumps, fissures, undulations (which we have plenty of on our crappy roads around here), and the rear never shuddered or got unsettled.

Can't wait for next track session (BASH #6) to see at max potential

Special thanx to Torch40 for use of the man cave, MMcGuirk and Albino500 for their invaluable expertise. You guys are great friends, THANK YOU :salute:

Entire project was just under 4 hours including two test drives, one after TVS (job 1) and the other after the Watts.

Is it time for a road trip yet?

Cali: Congrats on the upgrades. Enjoy.

I am thinking about the TVS and Watts. Waiting for SAI to offer an upgrade package to owners they can install at home.

Hello SAI...anyone home????

Its clear to me KR owners would go nuts for such a package.

You can lead a horse to water....

The only one to install - Fay's2

Why do you say that?

I've seen other opinions on this one...

Here's a message exchange between myself and Jim D'Amore (JDM Engineering in Freehold NJ. Very reputable mustang modifier). Discussing exactly the same topic:

Peter N Miller

Have never heard of Whiteline. Shelby uses the Fays. Whats the difference?

371447_511524311_735628978_q.jpg

Jim D'Amore

The Fays is very poor in design I have to say. It clamps on the the axle instead of providing a solid mount point. This clamp design is faulty and will shift on the rear over a very short course of driving. So you have to constantly check and fix the position of it or weld it in place making it permanent. Also its big and bulky so it adds more weight and creates clearance issues with the exhaust and the purge canister from your fuel tank. We refuse to use Fays here. But for a while its all there was so most likely the reason shelby used them. I have alot of customers who road race that switched from Fays to this Whiteline and swear by it. The White line brand has been popular in Austrailia for a very long time and just came to the states last year with a line of Mustang Parts. We tested them early on and loved what we saw. Mainly the quality and design of their bushings. Truely seperates them from the rest of the market. I only recommend Whiteline products now. Cant speak enough for them and at this price is a must have item!!!

Big day yesterday for car #552....

Both the front and the rear got a little attention

We installed the Ford Racing TVS with ProCal tune and Fays2 Watts Link.

Early impressions.....I wish I would've done this sooner.

As best as I could do on public roads, power (and gobs of it) all the way thru. When you're rolling in 3rd, and hammer it...oh yeah, other worldly... zero to 100, in an instant...Pulls like a locomotive with hyperdrive on steroids. If anyone is on the fence about this mod...don't be, it takes an already amazing car to an entirely new level.

Got a little frisky in some of the twisties, on ramps, and much more planted. Also, purposely rolled over many bumps, fissures, undulations (which we have plenty of on our crappy roads around here), and the rear never shuddered or got unsettled.

Can't wait for next track session (BASH #6) to see at max potential

Special thanx to Torch40 for use of the man cave, MMcGuirk and Albino500 for their invaluable expertise. You guys are great friends, THANK YOU :salute:

Entire project was just under 4 hours including two test drives, one after TVS (job 1) and the other after the Watts.

Is it time for a road trip yet?

Congrats!! Sounds awesome...

Made or sold by CorTex: http://www.cortexracing.com/

These look to be one of the nicest around for the S197 platform.

That's not one made by CorteX that I'm aware of or see on their website.

The LCA's , support brace and brackets are Saleen but I don't recognize the diff cover , pivot assembly , and links.

BTW - If you want to know the difference between chassis mounted watts pivot and an axle mounted pivot look in the " Shelby GT Mods and Tech section - go to Shelby Fays2 watts link vs. Fayys2 watts link topic and read post #10. As far as the Australia comment goes - check out the comments made by the guys running the cars - pretty much everyone has changed over to a chassis mount and gone away from the diff mounted watts.

That's not one made by CorteX that I'm aware of or see on their website.

The LCA's , support brace and brackets are Saleen but I don't recognize the diff cover , pivot assembly , and links.

BTW - If you want to know the difference between chassis mounted watts pivot and an axle mounted pivot look in the " Shelby GT Mods and Tech section - go to Shelby Fays2 watts link vs. Fayys2 watts link topic and read post #10. As far as the Australia comment goes - check out the comments made by the guys running the cars - pretty much everyone has changed over to a chassis mount and gone away from the diff mounted watts.

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. Think I'm gonna go with the Shelby billet one.

Why do you say that?

Here's a message exchange between myself and Jim D'Amore (JDM Engineering in Freehold NJ. Very reputable mustang modifier). Discussing exactly the same topic:

Peter N Miller

Jim D'Amore

The Fays is very poor in design I have to say. It clamps on the the axle instead of providing a solid mount point. This clamp design is faulty and will shift on the rear over a very short course of driving. So you have to constantly check and fix the position of it or weld it in place making it permanent. Also its big and bulky so it adds more weight and creates clearance issues with the exhaust and the purge canister from your fuel tank. We refuse to use Fays here. But for a while its all there was so most likely the reason shelby used them. I have alot of customers who road race that switched from Fays to this Whiteline and swear by it. The White line brand has been popular in Austrailia for a very long time and just came to the states last year with a line of Mustang Parts. We tested them early on and loved what we saw. Mainly the quality and design of their bushings. Truely seperates them from the rest of the market. I only recommend Whiteline products now. Cant speak enough for them and at this price is a must have item!!!

Peter

I have had a Fays2 on my 06 GT since 06. It has performed flawlessly for 83K miles. I have never experience an issues with the axle clamps.

I know Jim and am surprised that he would have this opinion. I have never heard of a Fays2 failure, but I hear about the rear end cover kind - Saleen, Griggs, Whiteline - having issues.

Michael

congtrats to you cali!!! it was great to meet you at the auto show,i had a blast! enjoy the heck out of that thing and do a little for me too since the darn winter is still deeply embedded here

Yo B. great meeting you as well...I'm sure our paths will cross again, and look forward to hearing how your collection has grown...

That should be a beast Tom! Any thoughts on having Shaun at AED tune the car?

Yes Andy, would like to get up there...just don't know when the schedule allows...

Congrats Tom, Now shes truly the King of the Road

Thanx Tim, the changes netted huge results. I can't wait to see how it is on the track

Peter

I have had a Fays2 on my 06 GT since 06. It has performed flawlessly for 83K miles. I have never experience an issues with the axle clamps.

I know Jim and am surprised that he would have this opinion. I have never heard of a Fays2 failure, but I hear about the rear end cover kind - Saleen, Griggs, Whiteline - having issues.

Michael

Thanks Michael... I'm sticking with the Shelby Fays2.

I've had the Shelby/Fays2 setup for a few years, no issues, and delighted with the performance. In fact, I just swapped out to the billet version.

Jared from Whiteline and I have had a few discussions about the comparisons, and we both agree each unit has its advantages. While I'm not usually a fan of diff cover propeller mounting, Whiteline has a substantial bracing setup, I can't fault their product. For me, I like having the additional frame stiffening the Fays2 frame offers.

BTW, the biggest misconception I hear almost daily is that the benefits of a Watt's link setup require track use to appreciate - NOT SO. Anyone with a Watt's will most likely testify their car's manners improved at ALL speeds, even in daily use.

Jer

I've had the Shelby/Fays2 setup for a few years, no issues, and delighted with the performance. In fact, I just swapped out to the billet version.

Jared from Whiteline and I have had a few discussions about the comparisons, and we both agree each unit has its advantages. While I'm not usually a fan of diff cover propeller mounting, Whiteline has a substantial bracing setup, I can't fault their product. For me, I like having the additional frame stiffening the Fays2 frame offers.

BTW, the biggest misconception I hear almost daily is that the benefits of a Watt's link setup require track use to appreciate - NOT SO. Anyone with a Watt's will most likely testify their car's manners improved at ALL speeds, even in daily use.

Jer

Are you sure... I'll bet SVT13 will have an opinion on that! :hysterical2:

In all seriousness, Thanks for the reply.

This picture is not of the CorteX unit. It looks to be a custom one off that has borrowed a few design concepts. Our diff cover is a casting and our bracketry is a lot different. Speaking of our product, we just shot a magazine feature this past weekend were we tested a bone stock 2005 Mustang at Sonoma Raceway. The only upgrades to the car was a set of Nitto NT01 competion tires and Jongbloed wheels in the largest size that will fit with stock suspension. We then install the entire CorteX Xtreme-Grip street package that afternoon and retested the car the following day. For this story we used our 100% bolt-in watts link (absolutely no welding or drilling). Not to give too much away but the results were staggering.

Filip

Any thoughts / input on the CorTex unit?

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you say that?

Peter N Miller

Jim D'Amore

talk to Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Watts Link installed and the car was lowered but I still have exhaust interference.

any quick fixes?

Loosen the clamp next to your muffler, rotate the exhaust pipe and tighten the clamp

Archived