TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby Purchase

Gaspassing

I Just pulled the trigger on a new 2013 GT500. Dealers here in AZ weren't interested in letting me purchase for MSRP. I drove to Phoenix to test drive cars, and tried out the ZL1 and a bunch of other performance cars for sale. The dealer Peoria Ford in NW Phoenix wouldn't let me drive the Shelby. Needless to say I was pretty shocked. I mean I can walk into the Ferrari dealer and get a drive, but they wouldn't let me test the mustang.

Anyway, I chanced into a car at a Carmax in Gilbert AZ and those crazy buggers shipped the GT500 to my local Carmax to drive. Well, after the "extended test drive" I was smitten. I put in a purchase order only to run the VIN that night and find out that they were 100 under MSRP for a used GT500 (800 miles).

Luckily for me I found an out if state dealer willing to sell a GT500 under MSRP. Paperwork is done, and I am just waiting for conformation and delivery.

Now comes the hard part...waiting for the car. This dealer gives me hope that this silly crap about ADV or market adjustment will be short lived. The gouging can only hurt in the long run both in total volume of sales and dealer goodwill. No way I EVER pay market value for a depreciating asset. That's just me, and I was willing to buy something else if necessary. I will post dealer details and Pics when all is done.

Well done! I too was amazed at the dealers attitudes about selling these cars, same as I remember for the 2008 KR, which was way more rare, but still after you drive it off the lot it is a depreciated used car no matter what they think. One dealer told me they expected the 2013 GT500 to be like the Ford GT, an appreciating asset since so many wanted them and so few available, I laughed right in his face as I headed out the door. Some of these dealers are ridiculous, and no test drive would just send me out the door immediately, what nerve these clowns have....Just wait for next year this time, the 2013s will go begging on eBay for 20% discounts off sticker easy.

One dealer told me they expected the 2013 GT500 to be like the Ford GT, an appreciating asset since so many wanted them and so few available,

Not gonna happen. They made more 2013s in a month than they made gts in 2 years. Plus gts are dropping like flies so that about half of the cars are totaled or have carfax blemishes. No modern gt500 will lap a fgt.

Last time I called NY, they had the highest ADM out of any dealer. They told me they could "give it to me" for $15k over msrp. I laughed out loud on the phone.

There was one in Texas with a $50K ADM!

And they wouldn't budge on it.

What's that saying about a fool and his money, soon parting?

Phill

You are talking about Ford's hero car, you can't just walk into a dealer and expect a test drive unless you're serious about buying one and making friends with a salesperson. Would you buy one that was test driven by any joe blow who walked in and wanted a test drive?? + 1, just wait until next year and no adm's. Good luck on your purchase.

Unless a dealer pays FOMO cash for his cars, he has to start paying 'floor plan' after the car has been at the dealership 60 days.

Money is pretty cheap now so the dealers are holding out; My guess is they will have a different price come June.

when I bought my 07SGT the dealers in the area wanted 5K ADM and I said no I would only pay MSRP. Finally one dealer started to negotiate and after about a month he came down to 3,500, then 2,500, then 2,000 and refused to budge. I was considering the offer at that time but talked to people on this site that were now claiming they could buy for MSRP. So I waited a few more months. And now everyone was offering MSRP but on this site people spoke of buying for invoice. I told the local dealers I would pay invoice and no one would talk. Waited a few weeks, negotiated a deal a thousand miles away and bought a cheap 99.00 one way air fare to Fla. Right before I left another local dealer offered to then do invoice and I said it was too late. So I had a nice leisurely drive back from FLA and put the first 1,000 miles as low stress highway miles. Then changed the oil.

You are talking about Ford's hero car, you can't just walk into a dealer and expect a test drive unless you're serious about buying one and making friends with a salesperson. Would you buy one that was test driven by any joe blow who walked in and wanted a test drive?? + 1, just wait until next year and no adm's. Good luck on your purchase.

I did talk to the salesman. I asked about MSRP and they were considering it. I drove almost 2 hours to see the car and couldn't drive it. When my Shelby gets delivered I might do the breaking miles driving back to that dealer to show him my purchase. I was serious enough to place a purchase order on a used one only to camcel to get a new one the next day. The one I bought has 30+ mikes on it so I assume someone test drove it. It's just a car, not the dealers daughter I was taking for a test drive.

I made an agreement in early 05 with someone over email I had never met and placed 5K down on the forth spot for the GT500 with an ADM of $2500. About halfway into it they announced the convertible was being released the same time. I called and asked if anyone had put down for a spot on the "vert", she said no. I asked if I could have 2500 on a hard top, and 2500 on a vert, she paused for a second, and asked if I wanted two of them and I said yes, she said sure. About mid 06 is when the ADMs started skyrocketing to upwards of 10K+ for the verts. It became apparent to me that I had nothing binding or in writing with this salesperson that I only knew by email and over the phone. I was sick thinking they would jack the price up or worse, just dump me for more money from someone else. I called a few weeks before delivery and talked with her. Come to find out, she and her husband owned the dealership and she said that a deal was a deal, and they knew they lost a little on the deal, but that's just how they do business. 2 weeks before they called saying when the vert would be here I had a guy offer me $2500 for the spot on the hardtop. Since all I really wanted was a vert, I took it. When the vert came in, they prepped it, painted the stripes on it and had it sitting in the showroom roped off for a week or so before I could get up to get it. They said it sold they don't know how many cars just sitting there, plus I've sent them probably 10 people that purchased from them instead of their local dealership. They have been there for me through thick and thin to this day. Any problems, and I can pick up the phone and call the Service Lead anytime. Now that's a dealership.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! That market adjustment stuff is B.S. The problem is that people pay it but thankfully you held out! Around me (northern NJ) it depends on the stealership. Some have it, 10 miles away another won't. I've also seen it at my local place but they take it off after not selling the car for a month or two.

But back to the good stuff- What color combo did you get? Options?

Congrats!!!

I made an agreement in early 05 with someone over email I had never met and placed 5K down on the forth spot for the GT500 with an ADM of $2500. About halfway into it they announced the convertible was being released the same time. I called and asked if anyone had put down for a spot on the "vert", she said no. I asked if I could have 2500 on a hard top, and 2500 on a vert, she paused for a second, and asked if I wanted two of them and I said yes, she said sure. About mid 06 is when the ADMs started skyrocketing to upwards of 10K+ for the verts. It became apparent to me that I had nothing binding or in writing with this salesperson that I only knew by email and over the phone. I was sick thinking they would jack the price up or worse, just dump me for more money from someone else. I called a few weeks before delivery and talked with her. Come to find out, she and her husband owned the dealership and she said that a deal was a deal, and they knew they lost a little on the deal, but that's just how they do business. 2 weeks before they called saying when the vert would be here I had a guy offer me $2500 for the spot on the hardtop. Since all I really wanted was a vert, I took it. When the vert came in, they prepped it, painted the stripes on it and had it sitting in the showroom roped off for a week or so before I could get up to get it. They said it sold they don't know how many cars just sitting there, plus I've sent them probably 10 people that purchased from them instead of their local dealership. They have been there for me through thick and thin to this day. Any problems, and I can pick up the phone and call the Service Lead anytime. Now that's a dealership.

Now that's the way a dealership relationship should work! To bad that is not the norm.

Congrats! That market adjustment stuff is B.S. The problem is that people pay it but thankfully you held out! Around me (northern NJ) it depends on the stealership. Some have it, 10 miles away another won't. I've also seen it at my local place but they take it off after not selling the car for a month or two.

But back to the good stuff- What color combo did you get? Options?

Black with black stripes

SVTPP,SVTTP,Shaker 1000, Electronics pack I think that's everything but the roof. Would melt me in AZ with that roof LOL

Archived